Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 8:50:53 AM   
Gil R.

I do, however, want my defenses against France to be stronger, so I do raise a militia unit in Magedeburg.

That’s pretty much all I did that turn, other than adjust the city development screens for Warsaw and Neumark so that my Farms and Roads would be ready more quickly.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 5/25/2009 8:51:08 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 31
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 8:51:53 AM   
Gil R.

This section of the Event Report shows that my two diplomats are already having an effect: von Humbolt has succeeded in winning over Mecklenburg a bit, while Hardenberg’s presence as a propagandist is obviously annoying the French, who waste two diplomatic movements trying to expel him. (Mental note to self: send a diplomat to England to charm them, so that they decide to send me money instead of Sweden!)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 32
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 8:52:29 AM   
Gil R.

More of the Event Report. Nothing too exciting.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 33
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 8:52:58 AM   
Gil R.

Here’s what my merchants brought in last turn. Most of the money is sucked up by high feudalism levels, which is one of the downsides to being Prussia. I don’t think another sea zone would be much more profitable, so I stay put for now. (And anyway, with those wintry conditions I’m not sure it would be possible to sail all that far.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 34
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 8:53:39 AM   
Gil R.

So, turning to Turn 3, I see that my army is now ready in Warsaw, so I put those divisions inside it, along with those generals one province over who didn’t make it all the way. (I should have noticed this last turn and had them finish moving, but overlooked it.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 35
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 8:54:36 AM   
Gil R.

I then send the new army to a more central location – Posen, where foraging levels are high enough to support it. I also send a division from Pomerania there and attach it to the army.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 36
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 8:55:26 AM   
Gil R.

Any my new militia unit in Magdeburg is ready, and put into the garrison there. The province, an essential buffer for Berlin, can now hold out that much longer against a siege.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 37
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 8:56:01 AM   
Gil R.

Time for more development. This time, I decide to expand Stettin’s defensive perimeter by building Walls. My reason for this is that, as noted above, troops in garrison are cheaper to support than when out in the field, so I’d like to have at least one city large enough to hold all or most of an army, thus saving me a good deal over the course of the game. So this is a decision that does not directly benefit my economic production, but it will most certainly benefit my economy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 38
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 8:56:49 AM   
Gil R.

And now I build some Barracks, mainly because I want more experience. The other powers, the ones who fight all the time, get a ton of experience points through combat, but if I’m staying out of the fighting the only way to boost my experience is in this manner. To my thinking, the increase quality/morale of the units I might eventually raise there is secondary to this.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 39
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 8:57:31 AM   
Gil R.

Speaking of experience points, at this stage in the game I like to spend a few periodically in order to make my units a bit better. That way, if unexpectedly called on to fight they’ll be more up to the task. So here I decide to give my artillery unit extra supply by means of “Baggage Train.” (Some of the other units start the game with special abilities. Normally I would first give my best unit or units special abilities, but here there was less need.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 40
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 8:58:03 AM   
Gil R.

With Turn 3 over I can view the results. Looks like both diplomats have had some success.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 41
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 8:58:32 AM   
Gil R.

And here’s something disappointing: I lost a lot of men because my new army failed to make it all the way to Posen, instead getting stuck one province short – and in a province with insufficient foraging levels to support all those men. If I were at war this would be a significant setback, but luckily here I have enough time for those divisions to get back up to strength. Still, it’s not a good thing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 42
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 8:59:15 AM   
Gil R.

Here’s where that army got stuck. As you can see, the forage level is 40,000, and that army exceeded that by several thousand.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 43
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 8:59:53 AM   
Gil R.

After this experience I decide to build some more Roads – both to aid troop movements and the economic development of West Prussia in general.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 44
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 9:00:25 AM   
Gil R.

And I decide to give Liegnitz a better banking system. I’ve toggled on the production overlay, so that I could quickly see which provinces not already under development was producing the most money – and therefore would give me the best returns. Liegnitz has been producing 10 Money, so 10% of that is 1 Money, so in just two years I’ll have broken even, and after that I’ll be making more money than I would have otherwise.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 45
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 9:00:59 AM   
Gil R.

Here is the City List, showing all of the provinces that are under development. In each case I’ve gone into that city’s Development Screen and adjusted the slider bars so that it would take just 5-9 turns (depending on what resources of value were being produced there).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 46
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 9:01:37 AM   
Gil R.

Here’s the Overview Screen, showing where the various armies are. I must admit, with those French armies occupied fighting Austria it’s tempting to try to pick off one or two countries/provinces beyond Prussia’s western borders, but that giant French army just two turns away quickly reminds me to stick to my game plan of building up and not fighting until I’m ready to fight. The game’s a marathon rather than a sprint, after all.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 47
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 9:02:11 AM   
Gil R.

After hitting “End Turn” I caught a quick glimpse of what was happening south of my borders, and took a screenshot. Poor Austria always gets hammered by the French early in the 1805 scenario. Good thing I didn’t ally with Austria and send my army down there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 48
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 9:02:44 AM   
Gil R.

Here’s the beginning of the Event Report, showing where things stand.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 49
RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR - 5/25/2009 9:05:39 AM   
Gil R.

And here is a report showing that my diplomats had further success, but that the French have finally tossed Hardenberg out. If I were to continue playing I might send him to England to charm them, or perhaps try to charm Russia. Or I might take advantage of his espionage rating and have him try to cause some insurrections in countries controlled by France.

However, I think I’ll stop here, having played four full turns. I might continue the AAR if there are aspects of the game that people would like to see covered, but I think I’ve achieved my purpose of showing how one might approach the game.

As I mentioned above, it would be great if other experienced players might try the same thing with other nations/scenarios. Obviously, since I’ve covered a lot of the economic decision-making (and bjmorgan in his guide has covered a lot of what I skipped) it would not be necessary to rehash that so much, so such an AAR need not be as long, and could focus more on military and diplomatic decision-making. (I just realized, for example, that I did not propose a treaty to anyone.) If anyone decides to do so I’ll link to his AAR or AAR’s from this thread, so that they can easily be found.

In order to keep this thread pristine I think I'll lock it. There can always be discussion of it in another thread, but in case I continue it I'd like it to consist only of my posts.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 5/25/2009 9:08:47 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> RE: Openings Moves Tutorial AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI