Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newbe questions.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Newbe questions. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbe questions. - 12/11/2013 8:11:59 PM   
hbrsvl

Hi- OK, I've bought, DLed and installed the game. I'm in the "Start Game" scenario.(Is this the right term?)

1. What screen resolution should I use? Presently, the game screen does not fill the whole of my computer screen.

2. In reading the first page of Start Game, when I get to the bottom there is no way to scroll down. When I go to the "next page", the text is not a continuation of the 1st page.

3. When I go to page 2, the same condition arises as in

4. When I tried to DL updates, I got an error message stating to contact Matrix games.

Please advise. Thanks, Hugh Browne
Post #: 1
RE: Newbe questions. - 12/11/2013 8:38:33 PM   
markb50k

i would use as fine a resolution as possible, when you get in the game you can stretch screens to make up the whole space. Likely you will have gaps between forms that show your desktop, not a problem.

many ppl have problems downloading the updates so go directly to the update download page on the MWiF product page. Just DL the zip, extract the exe and click it.

Hope this helps

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 2
RE: Newbe questions. - 12/11/2013 8:59:54 PM   
hbrsvl

markb50k-Many thanks. HB

(in reply to markb50k)
Post #: 3
RE: Newbe questions. - 12/11/2013 10:00:32 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: hbrsvl

Hi- OK, I've bought, DLed and installed the game. I'm in the "Start Game" scenario.(Is this the right term?)

1. What screen resolution should I use? Presently, the game screen does not fill the whole of my computer screen.

2. In reading the first page of Start Game, when I get to the bottom there is no way to scroll down. When I go to the "next page", the text is not a continuation of the 1st page.

3. When I go to page 2, the same condition arises as in

4. When I tried to DL updates, I got an error message stating to contact Matrix games.

Please advise. Thanks, Hugh Browne

The Windows font size needs to be set to Small (100%), otherwise the text doesn't fit within the space available. That sounds like the cause of the trouble you are having.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 4
RE: Newbe questions. - 12/12/2013 3:44:48 PM   
hbrsvl

Steve-Many thanks for your input. I'm ashamed to say I don't have a clue how to do the font size.

For example, do you change the size when you're in WIF? Any help gratefully accepted. Hugh Browne

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 5
RE: Newbe questions. - 12/12/2013 3:55:43 PM   
hbrsvl

Steve-I just checked the font size on my computer. It is set to small(100%). Ideas, anyone? HB.

Post #: 6
RE: Newbe questions. - 12/12/2013 5:28:55 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: hbrsvl

Steve-I just checked the font size on my computer. It is set to small(100%). Ideas, anyone? HB.

What is your monitor's resolution (in pixels)? If it is less than 768 vertically, MWIF is not playable. If it is 768 or slightly larger, then check if you have the Windows Taskbar covering the bottom of the screen. You will need to 'Hide' the taskbar if it is.

Steve

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 7
RE: Newbe questions. - 12/12/2013 5:49:51 PM   
hbrsvl

Steve-Just checked that. Present resolution is 1280x 720. It can go as high as 1920x1080. What do you suggest? Thanks, HB

Post #: 8
RE: Newbe questions. - 12/12/2013 6:43:01 PM   
paulderynck

I would suggest you go the maximum. If the font then seems too small to you (you'll want to consider both MWiF and other applications you normally use), then back-off to the next lower setting, etc. The minimum you need for MWiF is 1024 x 768. If you use 768 you'll need to set your taskbar to auto-hide, or you won't have room vertically.

Paul

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 9
RE: Newbe questions. - 12/13/2013 10:01:45 AM   
Maple Leaf

I think I'm having the same sort of problem. In playing the Barbarossa scenario, when I reach the production phase I can't see all the buttons at the bottom of the form.
How do I "hide" the taskbar?

< Message edited by Maple Leaf -- 12/13/2013 11:02:45 AM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 10
RE: Newbe questions. - 12/13/2013 10:16:55 AM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 8:14:42 AM >

(in reply to Maple Leaf)
Post #: 11
RE: Newbe questions. - 2/7/2014 2:06:10 PM   
Big Ed

I'm sure I've missed this somewhere. How can I move German troops to North Africa. I tried to load them on Italian transports during Italy's naval phase. Can cooperating powers carry each others troops? If not, how can I get German tranwsports to the Med? BTW, I love them game I'm up to the fall of 41. I'm kind of feeling my way along, tutorals, these boards and the RAC have answered most of my questions. I'm stuck on this one.

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 12
RE: Newbe questions. - 2/7/2014 3:35:37 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

18. Co-operation
18.1 Who can co-operate
9. German and Italian units co-operate if neither is neutral.

Are Germany and Italy both at war with someone?

quote:

18.3 Co-operating
HQ, ATR and TRS units can reorganise units they co-operate with. However, you double the reorganisation cost of a unit if any reorganisation point came from a unit of a co-operating major power
or minor country.

Apart from control of hexes, reorganisation, reinforcement and activities limits, units which co-operate act as if they were from the same country (they may move and fight together, etc.).

What activiy did you choose for the Germans and Italians?

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 2/7/2014 4:42:15 PM >

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to Big Ed)
Post #: 13
RE: Newbe questions. - 2/7/2014 4:27:00 PM   
Big Ed

They are both at war with CW and France. Italy was combined and Germany was land. Could that be it?

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 14
RE: Newbe questions. - 2/7/2014 4:56:20 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big Ed

They are both at war with CW and France. Italy was combined and Germany was land. Could that be it?

No.

You should be able to load German land units on the Italian TRS.

Have you been able to load un its onto TRS before?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Big Ed)
Post #: 15
RE: Newbe questions. - 2/7/2014 5:31:57 PM   
Big Ed

Yes. I moved a bunch of Italians to lybia and Japanese to China and Pac islands. I just wondered if others could do it.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 16
RE: Newbe questions. - 2/7/2014 5:41:54 PM   
Centuur

I would like to see a saved game for this. Can you make it, zip it and upload it here, so we can check?

Peter

(in reply to Big Ed)
Post #: 17
RE: Newbe questions. - 2/7/2014 6:39:03 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

I'm sure I've missed this somewhere. How can I move German troops to North Africa. I tried to load them on Italian transports during Italy's naval phase. Can cooperating powers carry each others troops? If not, how can I get German tranwsports to the Med? BTW, I love them game I'm up to the fall of 41. I'm kind of feeling my way along, tutorals, these boards and the RAC have answered most of my questions. I'm stuck on this one.

A screenshot of the units involved would answer a lot of questions we have. Optional rules chosen could also be a factor.

There are several forms that can be used for loading units onto naval transports, so I (for one) would be interested in which method you were using to try to load the units onto the transports.

Steve

(in reply to Big Ed)
Post #: 18
RE: Newbe questions. - 2/7/2014 7:32:51 PM   
Big Ed

I'll try to post the save this weekend. I've always tried to load during Italian naval phase. I've used the naval form to load (double click on sea hex). TRS shows up as in the hex not the Germans. Thanks for all the help. Wow!

Post #: 19
RE: Newbe questions. - 2/7/2014 7:44:40 PM   
Centuur

quote:

I'll try to post the save this weekend. I've always tried to load during Italian naval phase. I've used the naval form to load (double click on sea hex). TRS shows up as in the hex not the Germans. Thanks for all the help. Wow!

If the checkbox in this form says "Mine", it only shows Italian units. If you select "Axis", this might be the solution...

Peter

(in reply to Big Ed)
Post #: 20
RE: Newbe questions. - 2/9/2014 5:39:57 PM   
Big Ed

That was it. It worked like a champ. I thought it was something simple I had missed. Thanks for all the help.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 21
RE: Newbe questions. - 3/12/2017 6:09:14 PM   
nbisada

Apologies mispost

< Message edited by nbisada -- 3/12/2017 6:24:13 PM >

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 22
RE: Newbe questions. - 12/19/2018 3:53:44 PM   
19c

I bought MWIF years ago, but today I updated it to play an email game with a friend in a distant city who also owns the game.
However, I now find that PBEM is not an option. You can play the AI, play via the net, or play head to head.

What happened to PBEM? Or is there a new way to play by email that is not explained?

[We can't play online because of time-zone differences, work schedules, etc.]

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 23
RE: Newbe questions. - 12/19/2018 5:02:44 PM   
paulderynck

The PBEM mode was not prioritized and fell down the list below NetPlay, uncoded options and even an AI.

But many people are playing by email. They use Solitaire mode or head-to-head (H2H) and exchange files. IMO there's not much point using H2H for PBEM since either it or Solitaire require the US entry and Pact chits to be kept secret using the honor system, and H2H just adds more clicking to tell the program who is in front of the computer.

As you likely know, there are many points in the game where decisions are required by the non-moving side. This can be done by email as well, but some form of instant messaging is highly recommended in order to preserve pace of play. If that won't work for you then consider including "standing orders" for interceptions by air and naval units when you send your game file.

There's no replay so consider using a screen sharing program like Teamviewer where you and your opponent can connect up for air, land and naval combat.

Lately there have been problems reported with exchanging files during the Production phase. It seems some of the production directives are getting reset. You may have to have one player do all the production, using directives provided in an email by the other player. The game does a lot of auto-saves, which can be very handy for going back in time if you do encounter something like that.

Paul

(in reply to 19c)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Newbe questions. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI