Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OS X: Guide to installation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> OS X: Guide to installation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OS X: Guide to installation - 2/18/2014 5:15:47 PM   
OnTheContrary

As has been reported before, this game works under Wine. Here' s how to create a .app wrapper that makes it look (and work) like a native application on OS X:

Tested with Mavericks, but I reckon this should work just fine on all OS X versions currently supported by Wineskin.

1. Download Wineskin (http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php).
2. Start Wineskin.
3. Click the '+' sign under the 'Installed Engines' section - we're going to install a Wine version here.
4. Choose the latest version available and click 'Download and Install'. If that gives you problems later on for some reason or another, try an older one. FYI, I am running WS9Wine1.7.12.
5. Once that is done Wine will probably trigger an optional download of a Mono library (open source .NET) which will probably fail. Just ignore it and let it finish.
6. You now have a .app wrapper file in your /<username>/Applications/Wineskin directory! Double click it.
7. Click 'Set Screen Options'. Do the following on the window that pops up:
a. 'Override Wine control of Screen Settings?' -> Override.
b. In the 'Override Settings' half of the screen, pick 'Fullscreen'.
c. In 'Other Options', select 'User Mac Driver instead of X11'.
c. Click 'Done'.
(optional) Click 'Advanced'.
(optional) Under the 'Options' tab, uncheck 'Map User Mac OS X folders in wrapper.'. Close the options.
8. Click 'Install Software'.
9. Select the .exe installation file.
10. Install the game, just like on Windows.

FPC:RS has problems in Wineskin with the Matrix logo animation that plays when you start the game - you have to disable them to play the game. Here's how:

1. Go to the location of the .app wrapper in Finder, right-click it and select 'Show Package Contents'.
2. Navigate to the directory under 'drive_c' where you installed the game.
3. Go to the 'Libraries/Animations' subdirectory in the game directory.
4. Change the file extension of files 'matrixintro.wmv' and 'OTS Ani Logo.wmv' to something else, or add another suffix, like 'dontplay'. This will make the game skip those files on startup (thanks Capn Darwin for the tip!).

Step 4 MIGHT (I haven't tried) result in a botched update process whenever you try to update the game. The solution is simple - temporarily change the file extension back to '.wmv', update the game, then change the extension back to what it was.

After all this you have a .app file which you can double click to run this absolutely amazing game. Cheers!

Post #: 1
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 2/18/2014 5:21:56 PM   
CapnDarwin

Thanks for the guide. I am going to move this to the upper area so it stays visible.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to OnTheContrary)
Post #: 2
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 2/18/2014 5:47:38 PM   
OnTheContrary

Thanks for the sticky!

Regarding step 5. and installation of future updates via the updater tool through the game menu - OS X will ask you whether it should permit a process accept incoming connections. Allow this - without it, Mono will not install (though you won't need it for this game) and the updater tool won't work properly.

You can still download the update by yourself and do a manual install. This can be done in the following few steps:

1. Make sure the update is a .exe or .msi file (meaning it's directly executable under Windows). If it's a zip file, unzip it somewhere first.
2. Navigate to the location of the wrapper .app file that you create in the installation guide above, right-click it and select 'Show Package Contents'.
3. Double-click 'Wineskin'.
4. Select 'Install Software'.
5. Navigate to the location of the patch and select it.
6. Install it like on Windows.
7. When done Wine will complain about not being able to find an executable. This is ok. What it's really trying to tell you is that it expected a new executable file to be installed among other files since it thought you were installing new software and not a patch. Ignore this and close the window.
8. You can now run the updated game the same as before - by double-clicking the wrapper .app file.

Enjoy the game!

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 8/4/2014 6:13:41 PM   
tws71669

Fantastic and thank you! Just got my new iMac and this was the first game I installed thanks to your instructions. Do you have any advice getting Command: Air / naval combat operations installed? I tried doing the same thing with the game as I did with Flashpoint but to no success. Thanks!

< Message edited by tws71669 -- 8/4/2014 7:14:50 PM >

(in reply to OnTheContrary)
Post #: 4
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 8/4/2014 6:24:18 PM   
CapnDarwin

tws, I would check over on the Command forum. They install a number of supporting software packages that we don't use for our game. I'm sure there are a few folks over there with a similar setup to yours that can help.

(in reply to tws71669)
Post #: 5
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 8/5/2014 2:35:55 AM   
Alex1812

The game works perfect on Linux using Wine. You only need to delete or rename two files: "matrixintro.wmv" and "OTS Ani Logo.wmv"

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 6
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 8/5/2014 2:53:41 PM   
Brausepaul

Does anyone run it on a Macbook Air?

(in reply to Alex1812)
Post #: 7
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 8/6/2014 11:26:44 PM   
governato

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brausepaul

I have played the demo on my 2013 Mac air.

(in reply to Brausepaul)
Post #: 8
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 8/7/2014 10:06:32 AM   
Noypi53

quote:

ORIGINAL: governato

quote:

I've got Flashpoint & BA2 installed using the method mentioned at the top of this thread on a MacBook Air 2011. Both run fine although Flashpoint is still not at v2.04.

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 9
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 11/23/2014 4:54:11 AM   
governato

quote:

ORIGINAL: Noypi53

quote:

ORIGINAL: governato

quote:

I've got Flashpoint & BA2 installed using the method mentioned at the top of this thread on a MacBook Air 2011. Both run fine although Flashpoint is still not at v2.04.

I just installed version 2.06 with Wine 1.71.7 on my Mac Air. Works perfectly so far.

Note: I did NOT have to change the names of the audio files, as reported above. Also I play the game in a window (see install options)

(in reply to Noypi53)
Post #: 10
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 11/24/2014 7:30:18 AM   
Mymafia

Does anyone runs Steam version of this game on Wine, or this tutorial works only for DRM-free version?

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 11
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 6/26/2015 3:15:20 AM   
Noypi53

Hi!

Has anyone been able to run this in Wine under Yosemite? I was able to do it when my Mac was in Mavericks. Since I've upgraded to Yosemite, I keep getting an error message: "A problem occurred in initializing MCI. Try restarting Windows." I don't even know what an MCI is. I tried making a new Wine app following the above instructions but still kept getting the error message.

Any help is much appreciated.

(in reply to Mymafia)
Post #: 12
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 6/26/2015 2:51:24 PM   
CapnDarwin

Did you try moving the AVI files out of their folder or renaming them so the game bypasses them? The MCI is the media control interface. This error would point to a failure in running audio or video formats.

(in reply to Noypi53)
Post #: 13
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 6/27/2015 9:18:16 AM   
Noypi53

Hi Capn Darwin!

Your suggestion worked! I guess I have to rename the .wmv files whenever the game has to be updated. Thanks!

Looking forward to Southern Storm. After that, I hope you guys can do some Middle East campaigns.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 14
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 6/27/2015 4:09:57 PM   
CapnDarwin

Glad that worked. We are looking at other times and places once Southern Storm is done.

(in reply to Noypi53)
Post #: 15
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 6/28/2015 10:49:34 AM   
Noypi53

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mymafia

Does anyone runs Steam version of this game on Wine, or this tutorial works only for DRM-free version?

Sorry for a late reply on this. I was trying to get FCRS to run in Steam under Wine in Yosemite. Given Capn Darwin's suggestions above, I finally got to run FCRS!

Below are the steps I used:

1. Follow the installation of Steam in Wine in this YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNrUiLXqdJk
2. Before installing FCRS, right click on your Steam wrapper & click on Show Package Content.
3. Double click the Wineskin.app. Click on the Advanced button. Click on Set Screen Options button at the bottom of the screen. Click on Override, Use Mac Driver instead of X11 & Fullscreen buttons. Press Done & exit.
4. Click on your Steam wrapper to install FCRS. After installation, don't run FCRS yet. Exit Steam.
5. Right click again on your Steam wrapper & click on Show Package Content again.
6. Click on drive_c alias & go thru the following folders: Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm/Libraries/Animations
7. In the Animations are two wmv files. Change the names of these two files (I use ~wmv) so that you can go back to it when needed. (You need these two files when updating FCRS & then rename them again when you want to use the game.)

You should be able to now run FCRS on Steam in Wine. You will get a Windows error message occasionally. I just close the error Window as there doesn't seem to be any problems in running the program. Pike & Shot is also installed in the same Steam wrapper, btw.

(in reply to Mymafia)
Post #: 16
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 2/21/2016 2:59:29 PM   
iPhoneAppz

I followed these instructions, but when I try to start the game via Steam I get a message box that says, "The program FPRS.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." If I press the 'Show Details' button, the dialog just hangs. Any thoughts? Oh, I'm running El Capitan.

< Message edited by iPhoneAppz -- 2/21/2016 5:26:58 PM >

(in reply to Noypi53)
Post #: 17
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 2/23/2016 9:13:55 AM   
Noypi53

quote:

ORIGINAL: iPhoneAppz

I followed these instructions, but when I try to start the game via Steam I get a message box that says, "The program FPRS.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." If I press the 'Show Details' button, the dialog just hangs. Any thoughts? Oh, I'm running El Capitan.

I stopped using the Steam in Wine about Nov last year. Just kept getting too many Windows error messages when I moved over to Yosemite. (I'm normally 1 year behind in Mac OS to make sure the bugs are out of the latest version.) I'm now running FPRS in Steam in Parallels.

(in reply to iPhoneAppz)
Post #: 18
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 2/23/2016 12:58:23 PM   
iPhoneAppz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Noypi53

quote:

ORIGINAL: iPhoneAppz

I stopped using the Steam in Wine about Nov last year. Just kept getting too many Windows error messages when I moved over to Yosemite. (I'm normally 1 year behind in Mac OS to make sure the bugs are out of the latest version.) I'm now running FPRS in Steam in Parallels.

Thanks for the response! I'm a developer so I was at the point where I was going to download the Wine source and start debugging it. It was killing me to know that others had FPRS running in Wine and I couldn't get it to work. I'll try running it in a VM in Virtual Box instead.

Thanks again!

EDIT - I've tried running in virtual box and in VM Ware. I get "A problem occurred initializing MCI". If I delete the two WMV files as recommended above, that goes away, but I get a Steam error "libSteamWrapper.dll could not be found/loaded"

EDIT 2 - I installed Windows media player and that fixed the MCI issue. I can watch the little intro videos now too. I got the libSteamWrapper.dll error fixed by installing the VC++ redistributable runtime. I'm not sure why that wasn't installed when I installed the game through Steam. Anyway, I finally have it working in Virtual Box!

< Message edited by iPhoneAppz -- 2/23/2016 10:50:27 PM >

(in reply to Noypi53)
Post #: 19
RE: OS X: Guide to installation - 8/20/2016 8:43:39 AM   
RogerJNeilson

Looks like Wineskin is not happy with El Capitan, though it is reported to work in the 2.1.6 version of Wineskin - but I cannot find a download for that anywhere.

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to iPhoneAppz)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> OS X: Guide to installation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI