Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mod Guide 1b - Maps and Map Values with QGis (completed)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Mod Guide 1b - Maps and Map Values with QGis (completed) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mod Guide 1b - Maps and Map Values with QGis (completed) - 9/11/2016 3:23:59 PM   
WildCatNL

Hi,

this is the "Mod Guide 1b - Maps and Map Values Creation with QGis", including an example project (as created while writing the manual) with styles and templates for rendering maps in the colors and resolution FCRS expects.
You can use the example project to start your own map with a lot less hassle than when starting from scratch.

The mod guide describes the following steps:
1 install QGis and plug-ins, create a project, load DEM elevation data
2 defining a map area, and export an early "elevation only" version of the map as bitmap for scanning by the FCRS Map Values editor.
3 set-up and style the layer for drawing our rivers, roads, etc.
4 drawing the rivers and major roads, using Bing satellite and Bing road maps as guidance
5 drawing built-up areas, rail-roads and secondary roads
6 drawing minor rivers, streams, forests, and fields, and fixing ugly spots
7 prettying up the map with labels (outside QGis)
8 creating a second map using this project

I'd appreciate your feedback in this thread (except the spelling / grammar errors - for those, just send me a message and I'll correct them).

Kind regards,

William

Download link: (74MB .zip file, containing the .pdf guide, the example project alogn with styles and templates, and the resulting map).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by W1ll14m -- 10/4/2016 10:14:11 PM >

William
On Target Simulations LLC
Post #: 1
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/11/2016 3:24:34 PM   
WildCatNL

Progress: rail-roads, secondary roads, obstacle id's, snapping to the hex grid and hex side minor rivers / streams

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by W1ll14m -- 9/20/2016 9:16:25 PM >

William

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 2
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/11/2016 3:25:00 PM   
WildCatNL

Another reservation for additional images.

William

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 3
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/11/2016 6:25:02 PM   
kipanderson

William,

goodness... that is impressive stuff.. will be incredibly useful. Well explained as you do it changes everything from undoable to achievable for that dreamed of scenario .

Thanks.
All the best,
Kip.

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 4
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/11/2016 8:40:53 PM   
harry_vdk

William,

Many thanks for this, this explain the many mistakes I have made so far.

(in reply to kipanderson)
Post #: 5
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/12/2016 12:09:12 AM   
BeirutDude

Yes much thanks for all of your help!!!

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to harry_vdk)
Post #: 6
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/12/2016 6:49:05 AM   
exsonic01

Thank you so much for this wonderful work~! But may I have a question?

1) It seems that your work flow is different from mine, the PDF suggest to progress the road, forest, towns, fields and water later. But I was already progressing towns and roads in QGIS.... Shall I exactly keep this work flow?

2) Hex grid size - Is the manual correct? (short distance 433.0127m and long distance 500m). Because that setting will give us 12 hexes in 5km grid. On the other hand, 500m / 577.3505m option gives 10 hexes in 5km grid, which matches well with 500m setting of Hex. I'm bit confused here....

3) Which maps are the most recommended? ESRI-nationalgeographic, OSM, Google, Bing, MapQuest.... For some region (like North Korea that I'm working on), maps are really different with each other, I'm not sure which one to trust.

4) I used WGS 84 Pseudo Mercator, since some maps are not aligned with each other under WGS 84 (Pyongyang is 51S~52S). Is this OK? Or should I need to adhere to 52S?

Some additional recommendable QGIS modules:
- MultiQML = Easy loading of styles to vectors (road/water) and polygons (towns and forests)
- QuickMapServices (QMS) = Numerous map options
- Generalizer = if you want to curve-fit roads and streams from QGIS

< Message edited by exsonic01 -- 9/12/2016 8:22:21 AM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 7
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/12/2016 1:52:43 PM   
CapnDarwin

Pinned to the top so all can see!

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 8
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/12/2016 8:59:37 PM   
WildCatNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: exsonic01
Thank you so much for this wonderful work~! But may I have a question?

1) It seems that your work flow is different from mine, the PDF suggest to progress the road, forest, towns, fields and water later. But I was already progressing towns and roads in QGIS.... Shall I exactly keep this work flow?

QGis doesn't force you into any specific order (elevation first, or manual drawings first, rivers first or rivers last, etc).
I have a preference for elevation first, so I have a feel for the map in hexagons. Next, I prefer to do rivers first (since they may force me to shift roads - we'll probably see that happening for the Minden map), highways, major streams, primary roads, rail roads, minor roads, towns, forests and fields. Followed by the occasional shifting of streams, roads, towns in order to better capture the "character" of the area (at the cost of some positional error).

For the map you're currently working on, you should be fine (since you don't have major rivers).

quote:

2) Hex grid size - Is the manual correct? (short distance 433.0127m and long distance 500m). Because that setting will give us 12 hexes in 5km grid. On the other hand, 500m / 577.3505m option gives 10 hexes in 5km grid, which matches well with 500m setting of Hex. I'm bit confused here....

The manual is correct. Hexes are 500m (500m high, or 500m side to opposing side), with boils down to 433 along the horizontal axis due to overlap / math / ...
If you take one of the original FCRS maps, these are 2569x1952 pixels, which (at 128 pixel per km) boils down to 20.1km x 15.25km for the map. The .25 in 15.25 is due to half a row of inaccessible hexagons showing up at the bottom.

quote:

3) Which maps are the most recommended? ESRI-nationalgeographic, OSM, Google, Bing, MapQuest.... For some region (like North Korea that I'm working on), maps are really different with each other, I'm not sure which one to trust.

None can be trusted, but some are less wrong than others... Which also tells you map making involves "art".

Seriously, IMO it depends a lot on the area. OSM is pretty good in Germany, most likely due to Germany municipalities / public works adding/improving data. US based map providers typically have great data for the USA. For Korea, I don't know.
The benefit of satellite views is that you can do your own interpretation.

quote:

4) I used WGS 84 Pseudo Mercator, since some maps are not aligned with each other under WGS 84 (Pyongyang is 51S~52S). Is this OK? Or should I need to adhere to 52S?

As long as your area box and hex grid have been defined under UTM52N (northern hemisphere), you have your scale correct. Then you can use on-line satellite / map views (and have QGis switch back to Pseudo Mercator to use them) to draw your roads. Just be sure to switch back to UTM52N before exporting the bitmap using the Print Composer.
If you did set-up your area box and hex grid using Pseudo Mercator, your map's scale will be off. You can get a feel for the size of the error by comparing distances on your hex map against measuring distance on the "real terrain" in ArcGis' webmap viewer.

quote:

Some additional recommendable QGIS modules:
- MultiQML = Easy loading of styles to vectors (road/water) and polygons (towns and forests)
- QuickMapServices (QMS) = Numerous map options
- Generalizer = if you want to curve-fit roads and streams from QGIS

I'll look them up. Thanks!

William

William

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 9
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/13/2016 12:19:42 AM   
exsonic01

Thank you for detailed answer. Oh welp, I think I need to go back to the beginning and try again :P My current work is totally off from your recommendation, specially the hex size and WGS system....

< Message edited by exsonic01 -- 9/13/2016 12:21:09 AM >

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 10
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/14/2016 10:48:06 PM   
WildCatNL

First post has been updated with newer version of the guide, covering the creation of our "manual" layers for rivers, roads, urban areas, forests, and how to draw the rivers and roads using satellite maps / road maps as guidance. (Approximately 10 new pages).

William

William

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 11
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/20/2016 9:16:40 PM   
WildCatNL

Another 10 pages added, and built-up areas, secondary roads, minor rivers and streams added to the map.

William

< Message edited by W1ll14m -- 9/20/2016 9:17:59 PM >

William

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 12
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/26/2016 8:56:04 AM   
harry_vdk

Nice example of a wrong CRS usage.

I was looking of a remake of my L2720 sittensen map, but when I was setup the qgis project the scale was very different from the original map.

This was a mystery to me, and decide to start again (and consulting William). and the was no problem.

this morning I found the reason: The project CRS was Pseudo Mercator and not the UTM32N any more.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 13
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/29/2016 5:33:37 PM   
harry_vdk

Hi,

Just add a extra option to OtsFp9Tools
/CreateElevation

This read the .fp9 file and generate a file with the hex filled with the elevation colour and hex boundaries.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 14
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/29/2016 8:09:28 PM   
harry_vdk

Add also /CreateHexContours

Together with the previous one, you can work on this way.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to harry_vdk)
Post #: 15
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/30/2016 10:15:19 AM   
mb4329

Hi William,

Thanks for pulling the QGIS guide together. I found it to be a real help.

Curious if you have had any issues with the MMQGIS plugin? I was running version 2016.8.17 on QGIS v2.8.2 and no matter what I did the grid was distorted. It looks like it may be related to the projection as the hexes using 2016.8.17 where squashed (less than 500m in height - would upload an example but the upload feature is failing). I was able to roll back to version 2014.7.10 and it seemed to work fine since version 2014.7.10 lets you select a projection and datum. Have you noticed any issues with 2016.8.17 (or later)?

Regards,
Merrick

(in reply to harry_vdk)
Post #: 16
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 9/30/2016 6:56:18 PM   
exsonic01

quote:

ORIGINAL: mb4329

Hi William,

Thanks for pulling the QGIS guide together. I found it to be a real help.

Curious if you have had any issues with the MMQGIS plugin? I was running version 2016.8.17 on QGIS v2.8.2 and no matter what I did the grid was distorted. It looks like it may be related to the projection as the hexes using 2016.8.17 where squashed (less than 500m in height - would upload an example but the upload feature is failing). I was able to roll back to version 2014.7.10 and it seemed to work fine since version 2014.7.10 lets you select a projection and datum. Have you noticed any issues with 2016.8.17 (or later)?

Regards,
Merrick

I'm not sure what is really happening there, but I had the same issue when I was noob in QGIS. Problem was wrong CRS coordinate. My map was in WGS84-UTM52N, but my hex grid was in WGS84-Pseudo-Mercator. Issue is solved after I modified my hex grid coordinate to the same CRS with the map. Check if this was the problem.

< Message edited by exsonic01 -- 9/30/2016 6:57:22 PM >

(in reply to mb4329)
Post #: 17
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 10/4/2016 10:17:48 PM   
WildCatNL

I just updated the first post with a completed guide, and the availability of the example project and resulting Minden map (map values bitmap. .fp9 file and final map render).

Enjoy!

William

William

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 18
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 10/5/2016 4:19:29 AM   
exsonic01

Thank you so much William~! Oh well, I need to re-work my river banks again :P

< Message edited by exsonic01 -- 10/5/2016 4:22:15 AM >

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 19
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 10/5/2016 7:47:04 AM   
harry_vdk

Thanks William.

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 20
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 10/10/2016 6:55:53 AM   
mb4329

I appreciate the effort on getting this wrapped up and out. Also it is great to have all the files. It makes it much easier to sort out where I have gone off the rails or to double check my effort.

Thanks again for the work on this.

Merrick

(in reply to harry_vdk)
Post #: 21
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 10/11/2016 7:53:15 PM   
harry_vdk

Ok, learning qgis take his time and the setup of a project is very important and a mistake is easy made.

But, after a while I dont want go back to hexdraw.

The progress sofar on the first qgis map:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by harry_vdk -- 10/11/2016 7:54:33 PM >

(in reply to mb4329)
Post #: 22
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 10/11/2016 8:37:01 PM   
CapnDarwin

Looks good Harry.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder

(in reply to harry_vdk)
Post #: 23
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 1/10/2017 11:05:11 PM   
zwobot

May I have a question please: How do I configure the composer for maps larger than the standard map size? I just can't figure it out. The scale has to remain 39370 - right (at least for the first try until optimisation within FPC starts?)? But how do I expand the composer's canvas to include all of the relevant map from the main Qgis window?

It might be very obvious but I'm really stuck right now...

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 24
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 1/10/2017 11:22:12 PM   
WildCatNL

Zwobot, nothing is obvious in QGis...

In the Print Composer, you can make your canvas larger canvas in the "Composition" tab. Change the width and height of the canvas. For example, 30.6" (inch) by 20.25 works fine and gives you a 70x40 hex map. Next, switch back to the Item Properties tab, select the map area, and extend (drag) it to fill the canvas. Finally, change the scale back to 39370, and do the grid alignment dance.

For wide maps, you will have to tweak the scale a bit, since the hex grid is going to deform at larger distances due to the earth not being flat. For 70x40 hex, I'm using a scale of 39390 instead of 39370.

William

< Message edited by W1ll14m -- 1/10/2017 11:23:32 PM >

William

(in reply to zwobot)
Post #: 25
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 1/11/2017 9:39:00 AM   
zwobot

Thanks W1ll14m, that did the trick I think. Now I cannot load the exported .png image in the map values editor since FPC is complaining about the .fp9 file missing but I thought the map values editor is supposed to provide that through the automated scanning or is my understanding wrong

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 26
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 1/11/2017 7:53:39 PM   
harry_vdk

In the past I have worked with non standard size's and if you change the size of a .png and not delete manual the .fp9 the scanning tool give sometimes problems.

Have you a .fp9 with a differend size compare to the .png?

Harry

(in reply to zwobot)
Post #: 27
RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progr... - 1/11/2017 9:12:45 PM   
zwobot

Apparently there is a known bug which prevents you from loading a plain .png file without any corresponsing .fp9 file in the map values editor unless you use an older version of the game. For standard sized maps you can workaround this by copying an existing .fp9 file and renaming it so that it fits to your .png file which is what I did for now.

(in reply to harry_vdk)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Mod Guide 1b - Maps and Map Values with QGis (completed) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI