Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Common Errors

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Tech Support >> Common Errors Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Common Errors - 10/25/2004 11:18:22 PM   
Deride

If you experience errors when first starting the game, you may be experiencing one of several potential problems. Here are some common errors and their fixes:

1) Old video drivers

Tin Soldiers uses the latest version of DirectX. If you have not updated your video card drivers in the last few months, it is quite possible that you will require updated drivers before you will be able to play the game.

2) Arial font problem

If you open the the log files that are created under the "Log" directory where you installed the game, you may find the following error message:

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for "bc" threw an exception. ---> System.ArgumentException: Font 'Arial' doesn't support style 'Regular'.

(If you don't run with native English support , the message will be similar but in the language of your choosing.)

If you receive this error, there is a problem with your Arial font. After some troubleshooting, we have found that other programs may potentially replace the default ARIAL.TTF file on your system with a new font. If you uninstall that original program, it may leave your system in limbo with an incomplete Arial font. To fix this, you need to obtain another copy of ARIAL.TTF. (You can find these files on Windows system disks or you can search the Internet.)

From the control panel, select Fonts. Find the "Arial" font and delete it. From the File menu, select "Install New Fonts...". Browse for the ARIAL.TTF file and install it. Re-run the game, and it should now work correctly.

(NOTE: It has also been reported that you can delete the current Arial font entry and restart your machine. We have not confirmed this approach.)

3) Incomplete install

Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great requires Microsoft .NET 1.1, DirectX9 and DirectX9 Managed Extensions. If any of these components are missing, the game will not function correctly. If you are having installation problems, you can find all 3 of these components on the Microsoft website.

4) Not meeting minimum specifications

The game minimum requirements are for a video card with 64MBs of memory. It will run on older video cards that have only 32MBs of memory, but the game will run a bit sluggish. We suggest that, under options, you turn off the fog of war details and run in 1024x768 mode.

As always, if you are experiencing any problems running the game, please post your problems to this forum and/or send an e-mail to support@matrixgames.com.

We hope that you enjoy the game!
Deride

< Message edited by Deride -- 1/10/2005 2:57:40 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Common Errors - 12/9/2004 8:07:54 AM   
utheman

I have had the save menu problem I see elsewhere, but more troubling is having just finished the Issus scenario, the screen goes blank. The cutscene plays (note the cutscenes are at lower volume than the in-game sound), but there is no game window when it finishes. And no desktop, either. I open task manager to see the ATG menu program running, but not the game. I have to restart to get back my desktop.

I am running a state of the art system (3.0G Intel, 2G RAM, 256 MB video card, most updated drivers, etc...). It should plow through this game like butter. The hang up must be a bug in the game.

Please help.

(in reply to Deride)
Post #: 2
RE: Common Errors - 12/9/2004 5:43:52 PM   
Deride

Utheman,

Can you please send your log files (located under the Log folder where you installed the game) and a DxDiag? Can you also provide a list of audio/video codecs that you have installed on your machine? Please send to support@matrixgames.com.

Thanks,
Deride

(in reply to utheman)
Post #: 3
RE: Common Errors - 12/10/2004 6:38:00 PM   
koiosworks

this is usually cased by a codec that doesn't like microsoft media player. Can you also confirm that you have microsoft media player 9.0+ installed? You can probably get past the black screen by hitting the <esc> escape key to exit out of the video playback and back to the game.

(in reply to Deride)
Post #: 4
RE: Common Errors - 2/8/2009 3:45:14 AM   
GMeyer

I have windows xp.  The game won't load.  Why not.

George S. Meyer

(in reply to koiosworks)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Tech Support >> Common Errors Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI