Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pick up troops is broken

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Pick up troops is broken Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pick up troops is broken - 12/31/2005 7:33:46 PM   
castor troy

I´ve brought this up once but nothing happened! May I bring it up again. Got a PBEM going under 1.6. Pick up troops doesn´t work with my transport acs. I know how it should work as it worked well in other earlier games. No enemy at the base, no enemy CAP, best flying weather. The planes are set to pick up troops and assigned a base and a unit but after the turn they are reset to supply the base which they obviously did the turn I set them to pick up troops. If this isn´t working anymore it´s nearly impossible to safe troops by bringing them out of a contested base. AND I DON´T LIKE THAT!!!!!
Post #: 1
RE: Pick up troops is broken - 12/31/2005 9:50:28 PM   
FeurerKrieg

I haven't had any trouble with pickup troops in 1.6 or 1.602.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
Post #: 2
RE: Pick up troops is broken - 12/31/2005 10:34:06 PM   
dtravel

Pickup Troops will only occur if there is ZERO runway damage at the base you are picking up from. If there is even a single unrepaired bomb crater the transports will not fly. Which effectively means that you can NOT evacuate from any airfield under air attack.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 3
RE: Pick up troops is broken - 1/1/2006 5:02:30 AM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lt. Calley

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

Pickup Troops will only occur if there is ZERO runway damage at the base you are picking up from. If there is even a single unrepaired bomb crater the transports will not fly. Which effectively means that you can NOT evacuate from any airfield under air attack.

I assume then that damaged runways will also prevent you from using air transport to reinforce a base.

I haven't specifically checked or tested for that, but I suspect not. Since it probably uses the same routine that is used for paradrops, which can certainly be done to a damaged airfield.

Post #: 4
RE: Pick up troops is broken - 1/1/2006 6:04:51 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

Hmmm - i've been able to use pickup troops pretty effectively, even if under attack. There are some weird things about it, though.

I can use it up to 50% damage with transport aircraft, but not above (even if i am using float-based planes like Catalinas in a shore hex). I am not sure of the "rationale" for having the ocean knocked out of action when the airbase is damaged.

Also, i have difficulty picking up the last few units. There is a particular order squads get picked up (starts with undamaged aviation support, ends with mortar and machine gun squads, and often the last refused to get picked up by plane, even with miniscule load costs).

Getting the units to start to be picked up can be tricky, esp. if the base is under attack. The aviation transport unit has to have pretty good morale, or they won't fly, esp. if the base has a low "air balance" number.

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 5
RE: Pick up troops is broken - 1/1/2006 11:10:20 AM   
dtravel

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong here. I haven't done any specific testing but the "no damage at target" seemed to explain the problems I was having in my current game. However it works, it is (yet) another area where the players have been given far too little of the information they need and should have be given.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 6
RE: Pick up troops is broken - 1/1/2006 3:25:48 PM   
castor troy

My bases are totally repaired, the range is only 4 hexes and I´m talking about a level 6 and 9 airfield. I´m using Topsys and Tabbys but they just revert to supply transport every turn. Not a single support squad is airlifted. To transport a unit in works just fine but in my game pick up troops doesn´t work no matter what I try. And I was able to pick up troops in other games, so I shouldn´t have any problems...

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 7
RE: Pick up troops is broken - 1/1/2006 4:05:41 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

My bases are totally repaired, the range is only 4 hexes and I´m talking about a level 6 and 9 airfield. I´m using Topsys and Tabbys but they just revert to supply transport every turn. Not a single support squad is airlifted. To transport a unit in works just fine but in my game pick up troops doesn´t work no matter what I try. And I was able to pick up troops in other games, so I shouldn´t have any problems...

Sounds strange. Usually the unit will revert to "transport supply" AFTER it has transported a unit completely, although it can do so under other conditions, iirc. i had to take careful notes to see what and how much was being transported each turn to see what the heck was going on. Are the bases threatened by enemy action (i.e. do they have a low or negative air balance). Sometimes putting fighters at the base being evacuated seems to help if this is the case. The morale of the air transport unit is also critical.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 8
RE: Pick up troops is broken - 1/1/2006 4:14:33 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Sounds strange. Usually the unit will revert to "transport supply" AFTER it has transported a unit completely, although it can do so under other conditions, iirc. i had to take careful notes to see what and how much was being transported each turn to see what the heck was going on. Are the bases threatened by enemy action (i.e. do they have a low or negative air balance). Sometimes putting fighters at the base being evacuated seems to help if this is the case. The morale of the air transport unit is also critical.

Absolutely no enemy action. Air balance is over 600 in my favour. No enemy LCU in the hex or anything that could make my transports not to pick up the troops. It just doesn´t work. Not a single squad is transported but supply from the base my transports are stationed to the base they should pick up the troops. Makes me just

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 9
RE: Pick up troops is broken - 1/1/2006 4:18:16 PM   
ADavidB

quote:

1 - Have the troops been changed to a "restricted" HQ?

2 - "Support" squadrons are much "bigger" (have a larger load factor) than combat squadrons - that's why it is difficult to find submarines big enough to carry them. I also seem to remember that Mike did something to make them a bit "bigger" in one of the revisions in order to keep people from transporting huge numbers of troops in subs.

Your transports might not have a big enough load factor. (It's like that whole issue of loading mountain guns, etc.)

If the base is coastal, get one of your subs with the biggest capacity and see if you can pick up the Support squadrons. If you can't, then the squadrons may be too big.

Dave Baranyi

Post #: 10
RE: Pick up troops is broken - 1/1/2006 4:41:43 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Absolutely no enemy action. Air balance is over 600 in my favour. No enemy LCU in the hex or anything that could make my transports not to pick up the troops. It just doesn´t work. Not a single squad is transported but supply from the base my transports are stationed to the base they should pick up the troops. Makes me just

Well, never having played the Japanese side, i can't say i know what is going on exactly.

The air transports (unlike sub and ship transport) are SUPPOSED to be able to move units bigger than a single aircraft can carry (i.e. - half the guys get on one plane the other half on another. Why they didn't use this for subs using the same model is a mystery to me.) However, i suspect if the plane has a whimpy enough capacity, the game might decide it isn't big enough to carry a unit (i.e. - PERHAPS it must be big enough to carry the fraction of a unit the game requires). For instance, the Topsy has a load capacity of 2500 pounds, while the Catalina has a load capacity of 4000 pounds, so PERHAPS the Cat can transport those support units while the topsy cannot.

I suspect it works something like this. Load cost for a support unit is 20, i.e. 20 tons, or 40,000 pounds. You would need 10 Catalinas (in a single LCU squadron - i don't think you can combine 2 squadrons to lift a single LCU squad). However, you would need at least 16 Topsys to lift a single support squad, so unless you had that many working aircraft in a single aircraft unit, it couldn't be lifted.* Could this be the case in your situation? If so, the Topsys should be able to move smaller squads, but not the Support units. Can your air transports carry ANY units by pickup?

There may also be modifiers for distance (although i don't think this is the case.)

*EDIT NOTE: There is an error in these assumptions - see my post below before correcting me!!

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 1/1/2006 5:01:10 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Pick up troops is broken - 1/1/2006 4:59:24 PM   
castor troy

I´m using Tabbys also, they´ve got a capacitiy of 10000. So they should be able to move a air HQ. And the units aren´t under a restricted command. Never worked for me in this PBEM started under 1.6... I´ll try to lift a combat unit. But a HQ unit doesn´t work.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 12
RE: Pick up troops is broken - 1/1/2006 5:04:13 PM   
rtrapasso

After posting this, i realized i made an error in my calculations, since load factor for troops is not stated in tons. Oops!

But something along these lines *might* be happening.

A 10000 pound capacity aircraft SHOULD be able to haul a HQ unit, at least in the standard game. Are you using a mod??

Post #: 13
RE: Pick up troops is broken - 1/1/2006 5:37:33 PM   
castor troy

no 1.6 stock scenario 13

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Pick up troops is broken Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI