Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

will AI be improved greatly?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> will AI be improved greatly? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
will AI be improved greatly? - 12/28/2005 11:32:57 PM   
panzerariete

perhaps someone else has talked about this issue here before, I would like to stress the importance of a completely new, much more intelligent AI. I have played this game in all these years since its release, though the maps are big(which I like), OOB very accurate at the start of game, due to extremly poor AI, the game became too easy for human player.
I rememebr there are at least these following problems of AI
(1)they like to stack all in one tile, 9 formidable units in the single tile, easily rounded up by me and anniliated in 2 terms, otherwise they can establish a very good defense line

(2)they like frontal assault, even if the terrain and opposing forces are so infavorite to them, in one huge desert fox campaign (scenario from game depot site), I just put my British forces near Al Aghelia,organize a strong defense line, with formidable artilerry support, the desert fox leads all his elite panzer troops, they literally die like ants in frontal assult, they never think about diverse attack or use their artilerry , they just come , assult and die, no more fun to fight against such a stupid AI

(3) the don't use their weapons wisely, in another desert fox huge scenario, Italian mass forces attacked my British army new sollum after advancing 20 tiles, they were decimated very easily by me, later I turn the axis in manual to see how they organize their attack, to my great surprise, ALL their artillery remains 20 tiles behind their assaulting troops, staying immobile for 20 turns, I mean All the artilery units

without hugh enhancement to AI of COW, I don't think I will try the new version from SPWAW

the old "campaign series "has a much better AI, in a lot of instances I was nearly defeated by AI in CS, in COW, only once in Bulge 1944 scenario, I was defeated( a shame, defeated by AI..., but in computer +2 level)
Post #: 1
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 12/29/2005 12:26:03 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzerariete

perhaps someone else has talked about this issue here before, I would like to stress the importance of a completely new, much more intelligent AI. I have played this game in all these years since its release, though the maps are big(which I like), OOB very accurate at the start of game, due to extremly poor AI, the game became too easy for human player.
I rememebr there are at least these following problems of AI

(3) the don't use their weapons wisely, in another desert fox huge scenario, Italian mass forces attacked my British army new sollum after advancing 20 tiles, they were decimated very easily by me, later I turn the axis in manual to see how they organize their attack, to my great surprise, ALL their artillery remains 20 tiles behind their assaulting troops, staying immobile for 20 turns, I mean All the artilery units

#3 sounds like a problem with the scenario.

You're not going to hear a lot about what is and isn't in the new version. Matrix has a firm rule about not disclosing any information about what is or isn't in a new version, or what the release date is. It's too easy to be burned by giving out information, and having things not turn out as expected.

The PO is being looked at, but I don't know exactly what will or will not be done.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to panzerariete)
Post #: 2
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 12/29/2005 1:00:40 AM   
golden delicious

The problem with the PO is that it considers each formation in isolation, and formations only care about their own objectives.

The consequences of this are that the PO will ignore disaster in one sector as it is unable to switch units from one sector to another and if a single formation is outflanked, it will only begin to react if it loses control of one of its objectives. A breakthrough in one sector will never be reinforced from elsewhere and attacks can only proceed along a straight line.

One can fix these problems to a limited extent by manipulation of the objective chains in the editor, but there is only so much one can do. In order to get a PO which can play like some of the better armies of history, it would have to be able to consider formations not in isolation, but in reference to the entire situation, with the ability to redeploy troops as needed.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 3
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 12/29/2005 7:09:40 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

The problem with the PO is that it considers each formation in isolation, and formations only care about their own objectives.

The consequences of this are that the PO will ignore disaster in one sector as it is unable to switch units from one sector to another and if a single formation is outflanked, it will only begin to react if it loses control of one of its objectives. A breakthrough in one sector will never be reinforced from elsewhere and attacks can only proceed along a straight line.

One can fix these problems to a limited extent by manipulation of the objective chains in the editor, but there is only so much one can do. In order to get a PO which can play like some of the better armies of history, it would have to be able to consider formations not in isolation, but in reference to the entire situation, with the ability to redeploy troops as needed.

In other words, it's missing a general, just like most other games, and many armies ;-)

I've got some good ideas, and depending on a whole lot of other factors, I may and may not be able to do much before the first release. There may be some easy things that can be tuned to make it play better. The fact that it does have the concept of formation AI, makes it a lot simpler than starting from scratch. The formation and unit AIs look like they should do a reasonable job.

One restriction is that for most RTS games (where much of the AI research seems to have been done,) the big responsibility for the AI is to play an entertaining game, and to present a challenge. For this game, there is an added constraint that it should also be able to play historically.

It will be a lot of fun to see how far I can take the AI.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 4
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 12/29/2005 11:17:10 AM   
Widell

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick
One restriction is that for most RTS games (where much of the AI research seems to have been done,) the big responsibility for the AI is to play an entertaining game, and to present a challenge. For this game, there is an added constraint that it should also be able to play historically.

Hmm, are you now moving TOAW from being a wargame to a historical simulation? I´ve seen that discussion many a times in many forums and regarding many games, and nothing really useful has come out of it. It´s an either or thing I guess, and it´s ultimately up to the authors to decide if they want to have the players replay history or play historic battles under different, sometimes ahistoric or unrealistic assumptions

At the current state, TOAW can be used for little of both, but the historic simulation require a fair amount of house rules, and can´t really be played against the AI(?). Again, it´s another crucial decision wether to make the game a real solid human vs AI (See Highway to the Reaich and COTA for example, where a huge amount of time and effort was spent to make the AI fun to play against) and on the other hand TOAW and War in the Pacific for which the AI is more of a training ground before going up against less predictable and more skilled human players. Based on the discussion here, it seems unlikely that Matrix will go for both improving the game as such (and I´ll leave the discussion reg what needs to be improved to others ) and improving the AI. On the other hand, I´m not involved so I may be completely off...

/Robert

Post #: 5
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 12/29/2005 4:24:47 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

In other words, it's missing a general, just like most other games, and many armies ;-)

More or less. What's interesting is that the PO does a reasonable job of reflecting the Soviet way in warfare, though still far from perfect.

Glad to hear you're getting to grips with this.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 6
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 12/29/2005 4:27:32 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Widell

Hmm, are you now moving TOAW from being a wargame to a historical simulation?

Ahem, from the manual;

"[TOAW] is a combined simulation and scenario editor..."

quote:

At the current state, TOAW can be used for little of both,

Yeah. If a lot of the new features are made optional, I don't see why both models cannot be refined simultaneously.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 7
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 12/29/2005 6:15:32 PM   
sstevens06

quote:

quote:

More or less. What's interesting is that the PO does a reasonable job of reflecting the Soviet way in warfare, though still far from perfect.

Glad to hear you're getting to grips with this.

Well, maybe just the 'Soviet way' in late WW2 (43-45) with echeloned attack formations massing against objectives. The 'Soviet way' changed considerably after the death of Stalin...

I too am happy Ralph is looking at possible ways of improving the AI! (Btw, I also agree with Ben's major point above that the AI operates almost exclusively at the formation-objective level and fails to react appropriately to the overall [strategic] situation.)

Post #: 8
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 12/29/2005 6:49:30 PM   
panzerariete

I personally hope it's a game mainly for human-computer playing, not as human-human game, I love those huge scenarios of 200 turns(a lot in game depot site to download), I can't imagine a human-human playing by email for 200 turns.

I prefer historical OOB and historical distribution of units in the beginning of scenario, then in all the coming turns the AI can have their own hidden multiple "tactic decisions" to choose , sometimes they make frontl atatck, sometimes they attack from behind, so we have to guess each time how AI will react even if we replay the game. We gamers know histroy details well, if we know AI will follow strictly history, we can guess easily how they move, that's not fun anymore.

even the campaign date can be variated, the AI can choose to launch "battleaxe"or Alamein offensive in any random date, to give human player full surprise.

For me it should be more a "war simulation" instead of history simulation , but with initial setting all historic. We can do all the "what if " with historical units at hands of human player and AI hand.

In one word, only first turn is historical, all rest turns can be what if...

(in reply to sstevens06)
Post #: 9
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 12/29/2005 7:16:26 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: sstevens06

Well, maybe just the 'Soviet way' in late WW2 (43-45) with echeloned attack formations massing against objectives. The 'Soviet way' changed considerably after the death of Stalin...

Fiddlesticks. History ended in 1945....

quote:

I too am happy Ralph is looking at possible ways of improving the AI! (Btw, I also agree with Ben's major point above that the AI operates almost exclusively at the formation-objective level and fails to react appropriately to the overall [strategic] situation.)

I wonder if it's even "almost" exclusively. In theory, there's the "Independent" formation orders setting which is supposed to make a formation support other units- but does that even work?

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to sstevens06)
Post #: 10
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 12/29/2005 7:18:21 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzerariete

In one word, only first turn is historical, all rest turns can be what if...

Pretty much. A lot of scenarios straightjacket the players into historical patterns through various means.

That being said, one does have to bear in mind that matters took their historical course for good reasons.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to panzerariete)
Post #: 11
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 12/29/2005 7:20:54 PM   
Widell

quote:

Ahem, from the manual;

"[TOAW] is a combined simulation and scenario editor..."

He, he, I knew I shouldn´t have gotten into this . It´s all a game of words. Simulation yes, it simulates operational warfare as a game:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOAW:CoW Manual page 5
Our goal is to model these campaigns as games, with a serious effort to represent some of the real problems faced by commanders in the field

Historical Simulation, not really, specially not when talking about the AI as was the case in this discussion, unless very well "programmed" by the scenario designer. Not sure how many scenario designers that design to have the AI play the AI and repeat the historical result of a campaign vs how many try to create scenarios for, let's call it, even games, whatever that means (another can of worms there )

But then again, these my own very humble and personal opinions and interpretations, so they shouldn´t of course be taken too seriously I guess

Post #: 12
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 12/29/2005 7:56:53 PM   
sstevens06

quote:

I wonder if it's even "almost" exclusively. In theory, there's the "Independent" formation orders setting which is supposed to make a formation support other units- but does that even work?

Beats the hell out of me - I've tried using the 'Independent' formation order for Front- (Army Group-) and Army-level assets and haven't experienced any satisfactory results.

Post #: 13
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/1/2006 1:54:00 PM   
Szilard

The AI is very poor. I doubt it will ever be excellent, because that would probably require a complete redesign of the underlying data models. But improvements should be possible without too much effort.

Disclaimer: I have a PhD in AI, and my major interest in TOAW is designing situations for AI vs AI play. I doubt that I represent a huge part of the customer base :)

Anyway, I think it's useful to think in terms of two major AI categories:

- "Tactical" level: how the AI controls individual units within a formation.
- "Strategic" level: how the AI coordinates the activities of different formations.

Conceptually, it's not hard to describe what an excellent AI would look like. At the "tactical" level, it would be reasonable at handling common military tasks such as: forming a defensive line; avoiding being cut-off; withdrawing to a new defensive line; counter-attacking to restore a line; etc etc etc.

TOAW is poor at all of these, IMO partly because it follows the common Jim-Dunnigan-era approach of basing the tactical level on a completely inadequate follow-the-numbers objective model. But even with the poor modelling, I think it should be possible to fix some of the worst problems: eg formations on the defensive having no concept of being cut-off, and taking no action to avoid it.

To get a really good AI, IMO you need to go beyond the objective hex model. I want to be able to paint a line of hexes and tell a formation that it is to defend that line, and paint another as a secondary defense line, to which it should withdraw if the first becomes untenable - etc. For this to work, the AI has to have some understanding of a "line", a "withdrawal", "untenable" etc etc. It requires a lot more smarts than the objective model, but on the other hand without those kind of smarts it can never be a really good AI. It's certainly doable, but it would be a lot of work of a fairly specialized (ie, expensive) nature.

TOAW pretty much completely ignores the "strategic" aspects. Obviously, the ideal is an AI "general" which can set tasks for formations and coordinate them. Now you need an AI which has some understanding of a further layer of abstractions, at the formation level; again, a lot of expensive work to do it well.

But I think there might be a couple of "strategic" things which could be added to TOAW without too much work. In particular, I'd like to see a real concept of "strategic" level reserves, along these lines:

- Ability to designate Formation A as a "reserve" for Formations X, Y, Z ...
- Under certain circumstances, the AI assigns Formation A as a reinforcement for one of X, Y, Z ... by giving it the same orders and objectives. It might be that Formation X on the attack is doing very well, and the AI acts to reinforce success. It might be that Formation Y on the defense is under great pressure and the AI decides to buttress it.
- Once the trigger which led to the assignment of Formation A as a reinforcement no longer applies, the AI returns it to "reserve" status, and it disengages & moves to the rear.
- Ideally, there would also be an event which would allow a formation to be swapped in/out of reserve status depending on its loss/supply/readiness levels, as compared to othr formations.

Obviously, this sketch would need to be fleshed out before it could be implemented, but I think it could result in something which significantly improves both the quality and the realism of the AI.

In particular, the triggers would require the AI to be able to recognize "success", "crumbling defence" etc etc. This would be non-trivial, but it has to be remembered that the goal here isn't the creation of some perfect military genius - just an AI which does stuff which is plausible.

Longer term, I hope some thought can be given to opening up the AI somehow or other to 3rd party hobbyists. It would be great to see an engine which let 3rd parties code up a "counterattack to restore line" or "perform fighting withdrawal to new line" tactical behavior, or a "general-in-chief". I can imagine competitions between different AI's, if enough people got interested.

(in reply to sstevens06)
Post #: 14
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/1/2006 8:26:32 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Szilard

The AI is very poor. I doubt it will ever be excellent, because that would probably require a complete redesign of the underlying data models. But improvements should be possible without too much effort.

Disclaimer: I have a PhD in AI, and my major interest in TOAW is designing situations for AI vs AI play. I doubt that I represent a huge part of the customer base :)

Anyway, I think it's useful to think in terms of two major AI categories:

- "Tactical" level: how the AI controls individual units within a formation.
- "Strategic" level: how the AI coordinates the activities of different formations.

Conceptually, it's not hard to describe what an excellent AI would look like. At the "tactical" level, it would be reasonable at handling common military tasks such as: forming a defensive line; avoiding being cut-off; withdrawing to a new defensive line; counter-attacking to restore a line; etc etc etc.

TOAW is poor at all of these, IMO partly because it follows the common Jim-Dunnigan-era approach of basing the tactical level on a completely inadequate follow-the-numbers objective model. But even with the poor modelling, I think it should be possible to fix some of the worst problems: eg formations on the defensive having no concept of being cut-off, and taking no action to avoid it.

To get a really good AI, IMO you need to go beyond the objective hex model. I want to be able to paint a line of hexes and tell a formation that it is to defend that line, and paint another as a secondary defense line, to which it should withdraw if the first becomes untenable - etc. For this to work, the AI has to have some understanding of a "line", a "withdrawal", "untenable" etc etc. It requires a lot more smarts than the objective model, but on the other hand without those kind of smarts it can never be a really good AI. It's certainly doable, but it would be a lot of work of a fairly specialized (ie, expensive) nature.

TOAW pretty much completely ignores the "strategic" aspects. Obviously, the ideal is an AI "general" which can set tasks for formations and coordinate them. Now you need an AI which has some understanding of a further layer of abstractions, at the formation level; again, a lot of expensive work to do it well.

But I think there might be a couple of "strategic" things which could be added to TOAW without too much work. In particular, I'd like to see a real concept of "strategic" level reserves, along these lines:

- Ability to designate Formation A as a "reserve" for Formations X, Y, Z ...
- Under certain circumstances, the AI assigns Formation A as a reinforcement for one of X, Y, Z ... by giving it the same orders and objectives. It might be that Formation X on the attack is doing very well, and the AI acts to reinforce success. It might be that Formation Y on the defense is under great pressure and the AI decides to buttress it.
- Once the trigger which led to the assignment of Formation A as a reinforcement no longer applies, the AI returns it to "reserve" status, and it disengages & moves to the rear.
- Ideally, there would also be an event which would allow a formation to be swapped in/out of reserve status depending on its loss/supply/readiness levels, as compared to othr formations.

Obviously, this sketch would need to be fleshed out before it could be implemented, but I think it could result in something which significantly improves both the quality and the realism of the AI.

In particular, the triggers would require the AI to be able to recognize "success", "crumbling defence" etc etc. This would be non-trivial, but it has to be remembered that the goal here isn't the creation of some perfect military genius - just an AI which does stuff which is plausible.

Longer term, I hope some thought can be given to opening up the AI somehow or other to 3rd party hobbyists. It would be great to see an engine which let 3rd parties code up a "counterattack to restore line" or "perform fighting withdrawal to new line" tactical behavior, or a "general-in-chief". I can imagine competitions between different AI's, if enough people got interested.

I agree with most of what you say (except for the second sentence.) I believe that the AI can be made to play an excellent game for many scenarios. Since TOAW doesn't do random maps, that means that the designer can help a lot with the rough spots.

One reason that I took the role of programmer for TOAW is because I have a deep interest in Wargames and Wargaming AI (as opposed to 'real' AI. I've almost got an MS in CS, 20+ years programming experience and a stack of AI books, and I'm working my through 'elmer'(the PO code.)

I believe that the 'tactical' AI actually should play better than it does. I'm looking at why it plays so poorly, and what I can do short term to make it play better. I cant, and won't promise anything, but I've got some ideas, and I'll see how well they pan out in the time before the initial release.

The data structures aren't set up that badly for this work. I've got some redesign to do, but that's more for personal preference than anything else.

I've actually thought about allowing the designer to draw lines, or at least annotate the objectives with a width. That's way down the road, and may never happen.

I could see the potential for a game with this engine which allows you to set formations, draw lines, etc. instead of at the unit level. The AI would have to be pretty good for that to work, though. Something like Combat Mission, but at this level. I don't have the patience to play some of the huge scenarios.

The Open AI idea is also one that I like, but I don't know if it will happen. I would like to see what the Civ4 AI's toolkit looks like before I even look at doing anything along those lines.

I need to add a disclaimer that all this is pure speculation. It's possible that the new version of TOAW may not sell enough that I will want to add new features, there may be other things that can be done which are more marketable, expansion packs may not sell, I may lose interest, etc.

Ralph

P.S. You'd probably appreciate that I'm playing the AI against itself to test out the changes that I'm hoping to make.
P.P.S. If you have any AI vs. AI scenarions, I'd like to use them for testing.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 15
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/3/2006 1:32:01 AM   
Szilard

quote:

P.S. You'd probably appreciate that I'm playing the AI against itself to test out the changes that I'm hoping to make.
P.P.S. If you have any AI vs. AI scenarions, I'd like to use them for testing.

Tks, Ralph - I'll dig something out & clean it up a bit.

Another thing which would be really helpful for testing, especially larger scenarios, is the ability to let the AI play itself with screen updates turned off & news/debugging info sent to a log file. I assume that this would let an AI vs AI game play much faster. A breakpoint thing to go along with this (updating the screen & pausing) would be handy also.

Post #: 16
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/3/2006 2:50:50 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

Another thing which would be really helpful for testing, especially larger scenarios, is the ability to let the AI play itself with screen updates turned off & news/debugging info sent to a log file. I assume that this would let an AI vs AI game play much faster. A breakpoint thing to go along with this (updating the screen & pausing) would be handy also.

You should read this page;
http://www.tdg.nu/download/Unsuported%20features.htm

The noupdate switch is basically what you're describing.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 17
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/3/2006 10:12:00 AM   
Szilard

quote:

You should read this page;
http://www.tdg.nu/download/Unsuported%20features.htm

The noupdate switch is basically what you're describing.

Not really. The main effect of noupdate seems to be just to skip the unit move animation; you still get a screen update for the unit's final destination, combat result (as far as I recall) etc etc. What I'm talking about is something where you don't get any screen updates at all, until you hit a breakpoint (presumably, implemented by new event type).

I expect that this would speed things up quite a bit; there's still a *lot* of screen updating going on, even with noupdate.

You'd also want some way of capturing (at least) event news strings in a file, for later analysis. I can't remember whether any of the logging switches will do this for you at the moment. Probably, but you also get reams of other junk which often you won't be interested in & which would be a pain to wade through.

Post #: 18
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/3/2006 2:02:24 PM   
*Lava*

quote:

It's possible that the new version of TOAW may not sell enough

Hi!

That's the key.

While I know some people have "huge" expectations for dramatic improvements, the first priority is sales. Once you get the basic game selling, then the world's your oyster and all kinds of options present themselves.

I have no idea what the actual size of the TOAW community is, hopefully that community will fully support your efforts. From there, this is an excellent game for just about any experience level player. With luck it could be a great entry level game for people into wargaming. Getting those people "in" will ultimately determine if TOAW is a success or not.

So I am hopefully that the TOAW community will take the long view. Shortsideness will only lead to ugly confrontations and mixed signals. Note, I am not saying people shouldn't voice thier opinion, but that bashing each other over what's best is a totally destructive and is in the end, an unproductive adventure. If we want a future for this game, we will have to work hard together as a community.

Ray (alias Lava)

Post #: 19
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/3/2006 6:26:02 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Not really. The main effect of noupdate seems to be just to skip the unit move animation; you still get a screen update for the unit's final destination, combat result (as far as I recall) etc etc. What I'm talking about is something where you don't get any screen updates at all, until you hit a breakpoint (presumably, implemented by new event type).

Just checked. You're thinking of the "nodelay" switch. I started a PO vs PO game of Balkans 12 using noupdate. No screen updates whatsoever right through the end of the first turn.

To break the flow, just click on the screen. This will give you the option to switch off the PO (as always in a PO turn).

quote:

You'd also want some way of capturing (at least) event news strings in a file, for later analysis.

That's what the 'uberdude' switch is for.

Really. Norm was very helpful when he designed this stuff.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 20
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/3/2006 6:58:48 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lava

While I know some people have "huge" expectations for dramatic improvements, the first priority is sales.

Thing is, I think companies can be counted on to look after their profits themselves.

Anyway, if Matrix's changes target some new demographic, they're going to be inclined to continue to pander to that demographic, which may very well not be any use to me and other existing TOAW players.

quote:

Note, I am not saying people shouldn't voice thier opinion, but that bashing each other over what's best is a totally destructive and is in the end, an unproductive adventure.

Not if I enjoy it.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 21
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/4/2006 11:32:05 AM   
Szilard

quote:

quote:

Just checked. You're thinking of the "nodelay" switch. I started a PO vs PO game of Balkans 12 using noupdate. No screen updates whatsoever right through the end of the first turn.

To break the flow, just click on the screen. This will give you the option to switch off the PO (as always in a PO turn).

quote:

You'd also want some way of capturing (at least) event news strings in a file, for later analysis.

That's what the 'uberdude' switch is for.

Really. Norm was very helpful when he designed this stuff.

That's not what I see. nodelay just speeds things up; you still get movement animation. noupdate cuts out the movement animation & has some other effects, but I still get multo screen updating, with Balkans 12 or any other scenario. Odd!

Really don't understand yr uberdude comment - it doesn't produce any kind of log file, by itself.

Post #: 22
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/4/2006 5:15:19 PM   
JMS2

I took some time figuring that one out, what it does is show what the engine is doing in the news screen at the start of the turn and at the bottom of the screen during the pre-turn calculations. Useful to see wether events are working or not, but little else IMO.

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 23
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/4/2006 5:32:39 PM   
ralphtricky

You also may need to add 'nosound' to the command line as well as 'nodelay'.

You can minimize the app to disable screen updates. I'm finding that the end of turn stuff takes up most of the time for larger applications.

(in reply to JMS2)
Post #: 24
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/4/2006 5:50:59 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

quote:

While I know some people have "huge" expectations for dramatic improvements, the first priority is sales.

Thing is, I think companies can be counted on to look after their profits themselves.

Anyway, if Matrix's changes target some new demographic, they're going to be inclined to continue to pander to that demographic, which may very well not be any use to me and other existing TOAW players.

Ah yes, I can see it now...TOAW as an MMORPG, or should we make it into an RTS...Worlds of TOAW or Age of TOAW, which should it be... Maybe an action/RPG...Dungeon TOAW. How about about a FPS...No, I don't think it could be twisted quite that far.

quote:

quote:

Note, I am not saying people shouldn't voice thier opinion, but that bashing each other over what's best is a totally destructive and is in the end, an unproductive adventure.

Not if I enjoy it.

Post #: 25
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/4/2006 7:27:25 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Ah yes, I can see it now...TOAW as an MMORPG, or should we make it into an RTS...Worlds of TOAW or Age of TOAW, which should it be... Maybe an action/RPG...Dungeon TOAW. How about about a FPS...No, I don't think it could be twisted quite that far.

You know, maybe I'm just wierd, but I always fancied the idea of a wargaming RPG. Could be a multiplayer online thing- Eastern Front, everyone has to compete for Hitler's favour to get reinforcements....

Not really what I want to see from TOAW, though.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 26
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/5/2006 1:43:59 AM   
Widell

quote:

You know, maybe I'm just wierd, but I always fancied the idea of a wargaming RPG. Could be a multiplayer online thing- Eastern Front, everyone has to compete for Hitler's favour to get reinforcements....

I´m kind of contemplating a little on an RPG'ish concept in the OTWG thingy I have somewhat overambitiously started (See link in my sig). That´d really be possible to see there if only (and that´s the catch really) the Command & Control structure can be implemented the way I envision it, and the code needs to be crunched, and the bugs need to be worked out and, and , and my teeth will probably fall out before its anywhere nere complete. Feel free to visit and read the documents (End of shamless plug!)

Post #: 27
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/5/2006 6:07:02 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Widell

I´m kind of contemplating a little on an RPG'ish concept in the OTWG thingy I have somewhat overambitiously started (See link in my sig). That´d really be possible to see there if only (and that´s the catch really) the Command & Control structure can be implemented the way I envision it, and the code needs to be crunched, and the bugs need to be worked out and, and , and my teeth will probably fall out before its anywhere nere complete. Feel free to visit and read the documents (End of shamless plug!)

Definitely looks like a site I should check out next time it's not 4am.

Anyway, one shameless plug deserves another;
http://www.geocities.com/maldenhill/mygame.htm

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 28
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/5/2006 6:28:37 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

While I know some people have "huge" expectations for dramatic improvements, the first priority is sales. Once you get the basic game selling, then the world's your oyster and all kinds of options present themselves.

I have no idea what the actual size of the TOAW community is, hopefully that community will fully support your efforts. From there, this is an excellent game for just about any experience level player. With luck it could be a great entry level game for people into wargaming. Getting those people "in" will ultimately determine if TOAW is a success or not.

So I am hopefully that the TOAW community will take the long view. Shortsideness will only lead to ugly confrontations and mixed signals. Note, I am not saying people shouldn't voice thier opinion, but that bashing each other over what's best is a totally destructive and is in the end, an unproductive adventure. If we want a future for this game, we will have to work hard together as a community.

You have it generally right, Ray. TOAW was continuing to be sold by Take 2 along with the other Talonsoft titles, generally at the original prices and without updates. Our goal is not to keep these titles off the market while we create some drastically new version. Our goal in TOAW's case is to get an updated version that includes Norm's unreleased updates and some additional fixes out ASAP. Then, as time goes on and as justified by sales, we will continue to improve TOAW. This is a change from TOAW being a dusty, generally unsupported and end of development title to one which is alive again with a chance for ongoing development and improvement. I think everyone can see how that is a good thing.

It's also worth keeping in mind that the final version of TOAW evolved over several years of development by Norm and Talonsoft and multliple releases. I think if folks keep their expectations on that timescale, they'll most likely be in sync with what is likely to happen (though we do not intend multiple releases or semi-annual "re-packaging", just the one Matrix Edition with ongoing support for customers).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 29
RE: will AI be improved greatly? - 1/6/2006 2:20:22 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

quote:

Not really what I want to see from TOAW, though.

Actually, thanks to you and Elephants, I've been daydreaming of Call of TOAW. Being able to say that some formations are computer controlled. Those pesky railroad engineers, for example. I might even have time to play some of those monster scenarios if I let some formations be controlled automatically. There's lots of stuff to work out for that idea, including whether it would be 'fun.'

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> will AI be improved greatly? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI