Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

East Wind Rain (No wolf's allowed)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> East Wind Rain (No wolf's allowed) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
East Wind Rain (No wolf's allowed) - 4/20/2006 11:41:55 AM   
rroberson

Version 1.80 Nik Mod 5.02 AB's Map. I am the Japanese.

Hopefully I can keep this one flowing without too many interuptions from bugs and life :).

I will post December 7th tomorrow, when I'm sure my opponent has seen it. My best day one, ever.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rroberson -- 4/20/2006 11:44:11 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: East Wind Rain (No wolf's allowed) - 4/20/2006 2:32:30 PM   
ny59giants

If it was your best day, then the Kates decided to use torpedoes vs 800kg bombs.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 2
RE: East Wind Rain (No wolf's allowed) - 4/20/2006 4:10:02 PM   
Nikademus

don't lose your CV's

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 3
RE: East Wind Rain (No wolf's allowed) - 4/20/2006 7:25:58 PM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

If it was your best day, then the Kates decided to use torpedoes vs 800kg bombs.

They used both :).

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 4
RE: East Wind Rain (No wolf's allowed) - 4/20/2006 7:26:20 PM   
rroberson

It wouldn't be me, unless a donate a few of them to davy jones.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 5
7 December 1941 - 4/20/2006 10:49:08 PM   
rroberson

For the first time since I can remember playing as the Japanese I got 800kgs AND torpedo strikes. This is easily the most succesful Pearl Harbor strike I have ever had.

Day Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 114,72

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 90
D3A Val x 126
B5N Kate x 143

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 2
P-26A x 8
P-36A Mohawk x 2
P-40B Tomahawk x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
D3A Val: 7 destroyed, 41 damaged
B5N Kate: 10 destroyed, 33 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 5 destroyed
P-26A: 9 destroyed
P-36A Mohawk: 12 destroyed
P-40B Tomahawk: 38 destroyed
PBY Catalina: 11 destroyed
B-18A Bolo: 7 destroyed
SBD Dauntless: 6 destroyed
C-47 Dakota: 2 destroyed
A-20B Boston: 4 destroyed
B-17E Fortress: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 9, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 7, on fire
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 11, on fire, heavy damage
BB California, Bomb hits 11, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AVD Thornton, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 11, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 5, on fire
AO Ramapo, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 9, Torpedo hits 3, on fire
CA San Francisco, Bomb hits 1
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Conyngham, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Alchiba, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DM Preble, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CA New Orleans, Bomb hits 1
CL Detroit, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CL Phoenix, Bomb hits 1
AK Mercury, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Allied ground losses:
313 casualties reported
Guns lost 5

Airbase hits 32
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 146

Had these ships been at sea. It would of been a clean sweep. As it is I fully expect him to lose 3 out of 8 battleships.

Needless to say, I feel my strike was so successful I will be retiring my Carrier divisions. No sense in sticking around for a 2nd day of attacks, which frankly will only kill my aircrews.

Off Malaya, I managed to get through the entire day without a single bomb stiking one of my transports. Again, that has never happened. It bodes well for my intial landings at Mersing.

I made landings at Mersing, Guam, Tarawa, Kuching, Lingayen, Manado, Batan Islands, Admiralty Islands, Kavieng, Brunei, Miri, and Nauru Island.

I have hit Borneo hard. I have long felt that its center location was ideal for supporting more landings along DEI once you can get the LBA bases set up.

I have gone "very" light in the Philippines. Letting MacArthur rot on the vine makes more sense to me. PI has very little value to me other then a base. I can cut him off and starve him, bomb him and take the islands at my leisure once Malaya and DEI are mine.

Tarawa landings are the first push at the perimeter in that direction. In the end Id like to push all the way out to Canton Suva and New Calendona, but those ops are some time away.

My forces took Nauru Island, Batan Island, and Tarawa.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 6
RE: 7 December 1941 - 4/20/2006 11:37:05 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

Hiya RRob .. lets hope you broke your CV curse for this one .. good luck .. and a nice PH strike for once

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 7
RE: 7 December 1941 - 4/21/2006 12:49:13 AM   
Jim D Burns

Nice opening Rob, the only thing I might question though is the 3 divisions landed at Mersing on turn 1. Taking advantage of the turn 1 surprise and warp move negates the allied air at the large Singapore base. That's why you suffered no bomb or torpedo hits on your transports. Turn 1's surprise pretty much guarantees allied air power will miss almost 99% of anything it attacks.

Of course if your opponent Ok’d it or has no problem with it then neither do I. Just pointing out a possible "gamey" move you didn't realize you had made.

Jim

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 8
RE: 7 December 1941 - 4/21/2006 3:02:17 AM   
rroberson

Hmmm I hadn't considered it gamey..(having had it done to me more then once) but if my opponent thinks it is, I will rerun the turn sans the landing. Ill ask him.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 9
RE: 7 December 1941 - 4/21/2006 10:19:14 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: rroberson

Hmmm I hadn't considered it gamey..(having had it done to me more then once) but if my opponent thinks it is, I will rerun the turn sans the landing. Ill ask him.

I wouldn't scratch the landings completely (it’s a good move). Simply set a destination 5 hexes or so east of the target hex, so your opponent can get regular non-surprise strikes on the incoming task forces in the turns following turn 1's surprise and warp move.

Basically any landing into opposed airspace gets the surprise effect negating strike effectiveness. The only reason I’d say landing so close to Singapore was gamey is because I’m sure Britain would have warned and then attacked any task forces headed so close to Singapore.

Not attacking the ships headed to Kota Bharu was more reasonable since Japan could “claim” the ships were headed to Bangkok or something, but a beeline for Singapore would have gotten a response for sure I believe.

Jim

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 10
RE: 7 December 1941 - 4/21/2006 11:00:58 PM   
Nikademus

Don't think its gamey myself. Rather it's a gambit because you run serious risk from the short ranged torpedo bombers based at Singapore even more than my "Kuantan" gambit. LRCAP is not very effective at such long range so the transports and warships essentially have to sweat it out. Last time i did it though i suffered light damage and it was worth it. JAAF can dominate better from either base.

Kota Bharu is far safer but its harder for the JAAF to dominate the peninsula from it. (though i still land there to help disuade reinforcement convoys from the IO.)

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 11
RE: 7 December 1941 - 4/22/2006 2:46:08 AM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

Don't think its gamey myself. Rather it's a gambit because you run serious risk from the short ranged torpedo bombers based at Singapore even more than my "Kuantan" gambit. LRCAP is not very effective at such long range so the transports and warships essentially have to sweat it out. Last time i did it though i suffered light damage and it was worth it. JAAF can dominate better from either base.

Kota Bharu is far safer but its harder for the JAAF to dominate the peninsula from it. (though i still land there to help disuade reinforcement convoys from the IO.)

That was my thought. 2nd ACR pulled it off, but I savaged his task groups with my short range level and torpedo bombers. Yet he still got the bulk of his infantry ashore and cut off any retreat to singapore. Which to me made it more then worth his losses.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 12
RE: 7 December 1941 - 4/22/2006 3:35:08 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

That was my thought. 2nd ACR pulled it off, but I savaged his task groups with my short range level and torpedo bombers. Yet he still got the bulk of his infantry ashore and cut off any retreat to singapore. Which to me made it more then worth his losses.

I think what Jim was implying was that the British would have reacted before the Japanese could land. IRL the British were well aware of the Kota Bharu Invasion TF ...just unsure of where it was actually heading. IMO an invasion TF that far south would have triggered a lot more bells and whistles... and wouldn't have been unopposed by air or surface units on Day 1.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> East Wind Rain (No wolf's allowed) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI