Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Problems with TCP/IP??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Problems with TCP/IP?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problems with TCP/IP?? - 3/15/2006 10:41:52 PM   
Husard

Hello fellow Wargamers,
i wonder if there are any known problems related to the TCP/IP way of playing CoG? A friend of mine is interested in buying the game too but we both arent sure if there are gonna be problems waiting for us.
Thanks in advance
Husard
Post #: 1
RE: Problems with TCP/IP?? - 3/16/2006 12:49:30 AM   
ericbabe

There are two TCP/IP issues that I'm working on addressing.

1) There is a reported bug in which the orders of diplomats get reset to "Goodwill" starting on the second turn for client players. We have not been able to duplicate this bug in-house, either in LAN games or in games over the internet, with our 2 or 3 player tests, nor have any other TCP/IP players reported it. I am working on ways to add redundant information to the diplomat's orders to try to address this however, as the group who is experiencing this bug is definitely experiencing it.

2) We've had one report of a bug in detailed combat in TCP/IP which we have seen twice now in our testing. This involves the client's units becoming invisible and seems to happen when units are being reinforced while other units are routing. I've written a fix for this and we are working on testing that. I believe this is a bug that I introduced when I fixed another (much more minor) bug in the detailed combat reinforcement code one or two version ago, as we did not see anything like this during beta testing.

The TCP/IP libraries are based on Microsoft's Direct Play, version 4.0. Microsoft has deprecated Direct Play -- that is, they are no longer supporting it -- and Direct Play 4.0 does have some performance issues: it is slower than other TCP/IP libraries and we do experience some dropped connections. Because of this we are investigating migrating the TCP/IP routines to a newer library. However the Direct Play libraries are not impossible to play with over the internet -- we typically can play for many hours without a lost connection, and the longest delays at the end of a turn are usually no longer than 30 seconds to a minute. Direct Play seems much more stable over a LAN. One the LAN, there are no noticeable delays with fewer than 4 or 5 players, and it seems much more stable.

(in reply to Husard)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Problems with TCP/IP?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI