Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Which "first time" wargame...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Which "first time" wargame... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which "first time" wargame... - 4/1/2006 3:05:38 AM   
RIRed2005

Knowing what you know now...if you were new to turn-based war-gaming, which first game would you buy...(so as not to be overwhelmed)... KP? Or....

Thx

"Anyone better looking than me is a narcissist".
Post #: 1
RE: Which "first time" wargame... - 4/1/2006 3:52:19 AM   
Black Mamba 1942

First, start off simple, with a tactical game.
It will teach you basic tactics and planning.
Learn the foundations of wargaming, then move on to an operational game.
Where you learn about strategy, operational planning and logistics.

Pick a timeline you are interested in historically.
Something that will keep you interested.

(in reply to RIRed2005)
Post #: 2
RE: Which "first time" wargame... - 4/1/2006 6:31:41 AM   
bostonrpgmania

hmmm

1. Watch the 'Longest day'
and
2. Grab Battle in Normandy

(I was hooked to wargaming through KP)

< Message edited by bostonrpgmania -- 4/1/2006 6:32:13 AM >

(in reply to Black Mamba 1942)
Post #: 3
RE: Which "first time" wargame... - 4/1/2006 6:38:52 AM   
bradfordkay

I think that I'm happy with having started out with Avalon Hill's Afrika Korps. It was simple enough for an eleven year old kid to grasp, yet detailed enough to steer him towards other true wargames instead of Stratego and Axis and Allies...

I don't know what I'd recommend among today's games... my choices now are all pretty intmidating. I had a buddy a few years ago who got interested in Sid Meyer's Gettysburg - until I routed him in a divisional sized random scenario... I was just trying to teach him how important it is to place your artillery batteries on an elevation that commands a clear view of the battlefield...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to bostonrpgmania)
Post #: 4
RE: Which "first time" wargame... - 4/1/2006 8:14:02 AM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: RIRed2005

Knowing what you know now...if you were new to turn-based war-gaming, which first game would you buy...(so as not to be overwhelmed)... KP? Or....

Thx

KP would be an excellent choice, its my recommendation (operational game... looking at battalions and regiments conducting battles). In addition to being easy to get started playing, it features a quality AI opponent and is still a very good game to play once you move past the beginner stage.

Steel Panthers (tactical... individual tanks and infantry squads) or GG World at War (strategic) would also good choices.

(in reply to RIRed2005)
Post #: 5
RE: Which "first time" wargame... - 4/1/2006 8:50:12 AM   
rhondabrwn

I'd go for the new Matrix version of the Battleground Series! Or if you can't wait... HPS Campaign Gettysburg. I think these are today's equivalent to the classic Avalon Hill titles that got some of us hooked back in the 60's. Plenty of excitement and historical action, but not overly intimidating. Games like KP, BIN, and BII are state of the art, but I honestly prefer Battleground Gettysburg. Sophisticated games like KP/BIN/BII present a great challenge and play action, but I just do not get the same "feel" that I get for one of the John Tiller Civil War or Napoleonic designs. With these games I feel like I'm really there and in command. Most other games are just that... games. I never forget that I'm manipulating odds and gaming a system to produce a victory.

In the Battleground series you don't get the... "hmmm... I need 3 more strength points to get that 7:1 attack". Instead, you look at the number of men facing each other, their quality and fatigue levels (if you can see them), and then launch the attack and hope for the best. The gaming experience is very much like being a new brigade commander who learns the lessons of combat through trial and error. I learn something from every game I play (and I still have plenty to learn after years of playing).

Just my two cents, but I do think this is a great place to start.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 6
RE: Which "first time" wargame... - 4/1/2006 9:43:58 AM   
Hertston

quote:

Both KP and BiN would be poor choices, IMHO. Flashpoint Germany is a better 'starter' game, as are either of the 'Tin Soldiers' games if you willing to look a little further afield historically. I couldn't recommend the Battleground Series to a beginner either. I know Rhonda will curse me, but I know a couple of board wargamers who bought one of those games when first released and found them tedium incarnate, and I can understand why. The HPS games are better, albeit uglier.

My choice would actually be from another HPS series, 'Squad Battles'. They play fast without being being 'dumbed-down', will teach the basics well, and are great fun. There's a choice between WW2 (Normandy, Eastern Front, Pacific), Korea and Vietnam. My favourite is 'Tour of Duty', the second Vietnam one. The system actually suits that war very well.

Try the free versions of the 'Steel Panthers' games, too. There's SP:World at War here, and SP:WW2 and SP:Main Battle Tank elsewhere. The new XP version of MBT is about the best, I think, but all will keep you going for an awfully long time.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 4/1/2006 9:51:56 AM >

(in reply to RIRed2005)
Post #: 7
RE: Which "first time" wargame... - 4/1/2006 2:10:28 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Games like KP, BIN, and BII are state of the art, but I honestly prefer Battleground Gettysburg. Sophisticated games like KP/BIN/BII present a great challenge and play action, but I just do not get the same "feel" that I get for one of the John Tiller Civil War or Napoleonic designs. With these games I feel like I'm really there and in command. Most other games are just that... games. I never forget that I'm manipulating odds and gaming a system to produce a victory.

I agree. Tillers PzC series has something other games dont have. I cant put my finger on it though. Other games feel more like chess.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 8
RE: Which "first time" wargame... - 4/2/2006 1:33:59 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

Both KP and BiN would be poor choices, IMHO. Flashpoint Germany is a better 'starter' game, as are either of the 'Tin Soldiers' games if you willing to look a little further afield historically. I couldn't recommend the Battleground Series to a beginner either. I know Rhonda will curse me, but I know a couple of board wargamers who bought one of those games when first released and found them tedium incarnate, and I can understand why. The HPS games are better, albeit uglier.

My choice would actually be from another HPS series, 'Squad Battles'. They play fast without being being 'dumbed-down', will teach the basics well, and are great fun. There's a choice between WW2 (Normandy, Eastern Front, Pacific), Korea and Vietnam. My favourite is 'Tour of Duty', the second Vietnam one. The system actually suits that war very well.

Try the free versions of the 'Steel Panthers' games, too. There's SP:World at War here, and SP:WW2 and SP:Main Battle Tank elsewhere. The new XP version of MBT is about the best, I think, but all will keep you going for an awfully long time.

Now when I have I ever cursed anyone?

Good recommendation on Steel Panthers though.

I think the other recommendations given depend a bit on the player's historical preferences. I immediately was enthralled by BG Gettysburg because I'm a Civil War buff. I also prefer operational level games in general.

No one has mentioned Century of Warfare: Operational Art of War (COW) which will also be released soon by Matrix. I think that's a good choice if someone prefers the modern period over Civil War, ancients, or Napoleonic.

Actually, the entire Matrix "Talonsoft" line makes for a pretty good starting point for any gamer. I can't begin to thank Matrix for taking these on and updating them!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 9
RE: Which "first time" wargame... - 4/2/2006 1:54:38 AM   
watchtower

For a introduction I would recommend the 'Tin Soldiers' games esp Julius - excellent games that are easy to play and have the supreme fragrance of where it all began which is H G Well's Classic book "Little wars - a copy of which I am selling on e-bay at the moment" i.e table top.

(Search on member Raggedgroom Sorry if this looks like a valid post that is spam but Iv'e already got one Matrix staff buying stuff and bidding on others)

you should stay away from some of the things people are advising for the moment (Bin, Witp etc) Go for the cheap fun. fun stuff.

BTW anony Staff ebay frother you got a lot of competition on that 19th C military flag book ( breaking Ebay rules in telling you that )

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Which "first time" wargame... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI