Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

how do i move units?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> how do i move units? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
how do i move units? - 5/4/2006 9:39:22 PM   
MAARTENR

i dont get it please help me, thanx
Post #: 1
RE: how do i move units? - 5/4/2006 10:35:39 PM   
Owen 1815

Hey there. I bought COTD two weeks ago and initially you are left feeling totally redundant. It doesn't have any of the immediate dynamism of Korsun Pocket etc but if you abandon all of your preconceptions about wargames it can be very addictive.
These seem to be the basics (approximatley!)
1st Click on army leader then right click on him to show up corp commanders under him.
Concentrate on moving just the five or six corps commanders for now - don't break them down.
Click on objective(below)/click on chosen destination (on map)/click on engagement or hold (below)/then click on urgency (use forced first of all just to see them shuffle forwards in front of your eyes - you will learn that forced rarely pays if used too often - fatigue.) / click on send orders/ then in pop up click on which of the selected units within the corps you wish to move to the aforementioned objective hex) I would say send them all initially so as not to confuse things.
Click on sand timer in top right of screen.
The corps will shuffle forward roughly simultaneously (some regiments lagging behind/some just ahead).
Their speed is affected by weather, terrain and the success of the order being recieved by the particular commander.

"Supply" is a whole new ball game and I would advise you stick with computer "auto supplying" for the first week, although after a while this becomes the most interesting part - nudging your supplies forward to either a commander or city.

Give yourself a chance, choose minimal fog to start with. You will see the opposition counters and intelligence report (bottom of army leaders screen) will give you hints of their strengths and size.

Basically all the things you rely on a wargame to help you play are taken away and makes the game seem out of control initially but soon you will find it subtle and heart warming.

I really could have done with this sort of help when I was deducing what the hell was going on last week. So if you want to e-mail me direct for more tips or share anything you may have discovered then thats cool too. Perhaps we could play PBEM when you are up and running.

Don't give up. The game will go from frustrating to intriging. Trust me......!!!!!!!!

All the best Owen (Wales)

(in reply to MAARTENR)
Post #: 2
RE: how do i move units? - 5/4/2006 11:23:31 PM   
MAARTENR

thanx owen it works.

(in reply to Owen 1815)
Post #: 3
RE: how do i move units? - 5/4/2006 11:49:19 PM   
Owen 1815

Glad to help. Don't forget my offer of PBEM for when you've become a master of COTD and I'm begging you for mercy.
Incidently I do seem to get bugs/errors everytime I load a saved game. Have you had any problems?

(in reply to MAARTENR)
Post #: 4
RE: how do i move units? - 5/5/2006 12:18:41 AM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Owen 1815

"Supply" is a whole new ball game and I would advise you stick with computer "auto supplying" for the first week, although after a while this becomes the most interesting part - nudging your supplies forward to either a commander or city.

Yeah, same here. Who'd have thought logistics would be fun?

(in reply to Owen 1815)
Post #: 5
RE: how do i move units? - 5/5/2006 12:36:12 AM   
Owen 1815

Why does Matrix games lead the field in wargames producing high polish games only to serve up inept or non existant tutorials. I would include Korsuns pocket aswell (unbeatable game / dodgy tutorial)

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 6
RE: how do i move units? - 5/5/2006 1:51:10 AM   
DEB

Try switching off the sound effects & music. this solved all my Crash / Freeze up problems, although I never had any when opening a saved game.

Re problems & queries generally; if you go back over the last 180 days or so of postings here you are likely to find an answer. (You can't always rely on a response from Matrix or other CotD owners.)

The rules and or game play info for this game is quite simple. The problems are usually:-
1) Forgetting to send your orders ( I still do that some times ).
2) Using Fog of War before you understand the game.
3) The Waveout error.

The best approach to 1) is :- if in doubt : send more orders!
I must admit that I have not used the FoW options yet hence 2) has never been a problem, but I can see that it would be a massive one for a newbe.
Re 3) The Matrix line is to update your Computors drivers - but mine are the newest & I still get the error message. Just click on OK & switch off the in game Music & Sound effects when you are in and it will work fine.
NB you can leave the music on if you wish But DON'T hit the next turn "hourglass" without turning it off or the game will freeze. If you do, a) Switch the music ( etc. ) off & b) hit the "hourglass" again.

< Message edited by DEB -- 5/5/2006 2:16:12 AM >

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 7
RE: how do i move units? - 5/5/2006 1:31:23 PM   
MAARTENR

i thought you could move the units indepently.

(in reply to DEB)
Post #: 8
RE: how do i move units? - 5/5/2006 2:09:12 PM   
MAARTENR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Owen 1815

Hey there. I bought COTD two weeks ago and initially you are left feeling totally redundant. It doesn't have any of the Click on objective(below)/click on chosen destination (on map)/click on engagement or hold (below)/then click on urgency (use forced first of all just to see them shuffle forwards in front of your eyes - you will learn that forced rarely pays if used too often - fatigue.) / click on send orders/ then in pop up click on which of the selected units within the corps you wish to move to the aforementioned objective hex) I would say send them all initially so as not to confuse things.
Click on sand timer in top right of screen.

what do you mean with below?
mine question is can imove them manually?

< Message edited by MAARTENR -- 5/5/2006 5:09:42 PM >

(in reply to Owen 1815)
Post #: 9
RE: how do i move units? - 5/5/2006 8:35:50 PM   
Owen 1815

Apologies I do not have game on at the moment so forgot caption button name. At the bottom of the screen (below) after you have clicked on a corps commander are a number of tabs - objectives, urgency, send orders etc. The one next to urgency (can't remember name) will bring up hold, fallback and engage which are responses your counters will have for the enemy should they bump into them.

Can I move them individually? Yes go through order sequence as per my initial post but just before you confirm the sending of orders in pop up screen - deselect units by removing ticks. Alternatively you can continue to right click on corps commanders in order to get their individual units and relay an order sequence for just them. It can get complicated when you split up all of your corps though.

(in reply to MAARTENR)
Post #: 10
RE: how do i move units? - 5/5/2006 8:39:16 PM   
Owen 1815

Had another thought...... did you mean "can you push each counter there and then?" I don't believe so, not like Korsun pocket. You send out orders to all of your counters and then press the sand timer. Its more of a generals view/game rather than being in charge of every different units movements and response. Its more realistic but less immediate. How far are you getting with it?

(in reply to Owen 1815)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> how do i move units? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI