Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #3 and #4

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #3 and #4 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #3 and #4 - 4/4/2006 6:52:51 AM   
JAMiAM

This feature preview is a "two-fer". Two for the price of one!

If there is one thing that all gamers love doing, it's bragging about their greatest victories, or reviewing their most embarrassing defeats. Often times, the players have so enjoyed a spirited battle that they post detailed After Action Reports (AAR's) at their favorite forum. These give the grognards their day in the sun, help others relive their hard-fought battles, and serve as a valuable learning tool for the scenario in question, and the playing styles of the antagonists. They also can be powerful advertisements for one's favorite scenarios and help to recruit opponents. The two Advanced Game Options, SitRep Log, and Movies shown in the picture below, assist players, in both solo, and PBEM games to analyse and log the progress of their games.

From the revised manual entry for each...

quote:

SitRep Log: This creates a text file in the Saves directory that contains news strings, and detailed combat results reports. If playing a PBEM turn, then the news strings, and only the last two lines of the combat reports and their locations are displayed. When using this option, players should make a habit of deleting their old logs on a regular basis to save hard drive space.

Movies: This option creates two .bmp files in the Saves directory at the end of each player turn. One is of the entire map at the microview scale. The other is of the entire map at the zoomed out (small 2d mode) scale. This can be used for creating AAR’s, and to keep track of your general campaign progress. You can link these images together using second party graphics software and view your progress toward victory (or defeat) as a snapshot movie. Keep in mind two things, when using this option. First, is that the time that it takes to write this file depends on the speed of your machine, and the size of the map. You will get the hourglass cursor appearing to let you know the program is working on writing the image to the file. This may take a few minutes on slower machines writing large maps. Secondly, the .bmp files can be very large in terms of file size. As with the SitRep Logs, you should probably clean out those you won’t be using for movies on a regular basis. You can also use your favorite graphics software to convert these files to a .jpg format, in order to save disk space.

The sitreps can serve as a helpful reminder in PBEM games (since most of the gritty details are truncated, to maintain the fog of war) of the battle locations and their results. In single player mode, more information is displayed, allowing for greater analysis of what the combat results were, and can help novice players better understand why the battles went the way they did.

In the past, some players have gone to incredible lengths to scroll, align, screenshot, and paste together these campaign maps. It is very tedious work on any map larger than what fits on a single mapview panel, when in zoomed out 2d mode. The Movies option allows for the program to do all the hard work for you, saving the image of the map and the units visible to the player.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 4/4/2006 6:53:33 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #3 and #4 - 4/4/2006 7:08:30 AM   
Chuck2

Welcome back. Here is an example of the movies option:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 2
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #3 and #4 - 4/4/2006 7:20:43 AM   
JAMiAM

As soon as I can get Larry to send me one of the several animated replays that he's put together, I'll post it here in this thread.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 3
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #3 and #4 - 4/4/2006 7:21:53 AM   
JAMiAM

Or...I can spend so much time trying to get Chuck's gif downloaded that he can sneak it in under my still open reply window!

Thanks Chuck!

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 4
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #3 and #4 - 4/4/2006 7:23:53 AM   
ralphtricky

Thanks Jamiam, I'm glad to see you back.

A couple of other creative things that these might be used for...

SitRep log - I haven't tried it, but these also might be usable in PBEM to pass between the opponent with the save game file, as a compromise between the different levels of fog of war. It should also help in refreshing your memory for the people that like to write AARs.

Movies - In case anyone missed it, Larry's posted a couple of 'movies' that he created using the .BMPs showing how the new PO plays. There are some programs that allow you to easily stitch together the micromap views into a movie, or animated bitmap (a smiley on steriods). The size is small enough that it's possible to post many of these as part of an AAR.

As part of the Movies command, the graphics system had to be cleaned up, that means that it should be possible to swap between the 2D views or the 3D views now without worrying about a crash, or being out of resources.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 5
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #3 and #4 - 4/4/2006 7:25:23 AM   
ralphtricky

Dang but you guys are FAST!

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 6
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #3 and #4 - 4/4/2006 4:46:22 PM   
BAL

I like the SitRep feature.

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 7
RE: Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #3 and #4 - 4/5/2006 10:23:13 PM   
Ike99

Awesome! I always wished for that feature.

(in reply to BAL)
Post #: 8
TOAW Release Date? - 4/15/2006 7:32:36 PM   
WalterJ

Any update on the release date? Really looking forward to the new and improved version. If it is anything close to the Steel Panthers upgrade/release Matrix complete it will certainly be a winner. Thx

WJM

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 9
RE: TOAW Release Date? - 4/19/2006 5:47:12 AM   
Williamb

this is a feature I long wanted. Glad to see it finally come into the game.

(in reply to WalterJ)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Release Countdown! TOAW 3 Feature Preview #3 and #4 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI