Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

For JudgeDredd: Earned Run Average

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> For JudgeDredd: Earned Run Average Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
For JudgeDredd: Earned Run Average - 5/29/2006 1:52:14 AM   
KG Erwin

Here's a stat that is commonly misunderstood. First of all, you gotta understand what an earned run is.

From wikipedia:

"In baseball, an earned run is any run for which the pitcher is held accountable (i.e. the run did not score as a result of a fielding error or a passed ball). If a run is not earned, it is an unearned run. Even if a runner scores on a fielding error by the pitcher himself, it is an unearned run.

Earned runs are specially denoted because of their use in calculating a pitcher's earned run average.

In determining earned runs, the official scorer must reconstruct the inning as it would have occurred without the errors (which include catcher's interference) and passed balls, with the benefit of the doubt always being given to the pitcher in determining which bases would have been reached by errorless play.

A run is counted as unearned when:

The baserunner would have been out had an error not been committed.
The run is scored after an error is committed that would have made the third out
A baserunner scores on a play where an error was committed, and the inning ends before that runner would have had a chance to score. Example: A passed ball allows a runner to score. The batter at the plate then strikes out to end the inning. The run is unearned. If the batter had instead got a base hit, the run would be earned, since the runner would have scored on that play.
In most other cases, a run is scored as an earned run."

Now, to calculate earned run average, here's the formula:

(Number of Earned Runs x 9) divided by (Number of Innings Pitched)

Generally speaking, this is an indicator on how effective your pitchers are.

Post #: 1
RE: For JudgeDredd: Earned Run Average - 5/29/2006 2:15:31 AM   
Titanwarrior89

I hope theres not a test on this or I might JUST fail.
quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Here's a stat that is commonly misunderstood. First of all, you gotta understand what an earned run is.

From wikipedia:

"In baseball, an earned run is any run for which the pitcher is held accountable (i.e. the run did not score as a result of a fielding error or a passed ball). If a run is not earned, it is an unearned run. Even if a runner scores on a fielding error by the pitcher himself, it is an unearned run.

Earned runs are specially denoted because of their use in calculating a pitcher's earned run average.

In determining earned runs, the official scorer must reconstruct the inning as it would have occurred without the errors (which include catcher's interference) and passed balls, with the benefit of the doubt always being given to the pitcher in determining which bases would have been reached by errorless play.

A run is counted as unearned when:

The baserunner would have been out had an error not been committed.
The run is scored after an error is committed that would have made the third out
A baserunner scores on a play where an error was committed, and the inning ends before that runner would have had a chance to score. Example: A passed ball allows a runner to score. The batter at the plate then strikes out to end the inning. The run is unearned. If the batter had instead got a base hit, the run would be earned, since the runner would have scored on that play.
In most other cases, a run is scored as an earned run."

Now, to calculate earned run average, here's the formula:

(Number of Earned Runs x 9) divided by (Number of Innings Pitched)

Generally speaking, this is an indicator on how effective your pitchers are.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: For JudgeDredd: Earned Run Average - 5/29/2006 6:35:55 PM   
Sonny

I'm not sure but I think if more than one error is made the total of which would have made the third out then any runs scoring after that would also be unearned.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 3
RE: For JudgeDredd: Earned Run Average - 5/29/2006 11:21:07 PM   
JudgeDredd

Thx KG

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> For JudgeDredd: Earned Run Average Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI