Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Are finances ever an issue?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Are finances ever an issue? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are finances ever an issue? - 7/18/2006 1:31:27 AM   
rpommier

Before I get too far into my association I want to know if salaries ever become a concern. I'm in my second season and every team has loads of money. Does this change after a couple of years? Do salaries become inflated enough to where a team would not be able to resign everyone?

Maybe I set up my league wrong? Should I have had the option for the region to affect the income of my teams?

vr,
Rod
Post #: 1
RE: Are finances ever an issue? - 7/18/2006 1:45:49 AM   
rowech

I had quite a bit of money starting out but it does start to change as salaries escalate.  I'm in my fourth year and I'm going to have to make choices as to who to keep. 

(in reply to rpommier)
Post #: 2
RE: Are finances ever an issue? - 7/18/2006 1:52:44 AM   
KG Erwin

Call me old -fashioned but I think free agency is evil and I play with finances off.  

I say this for two reasons -- (1) it certainly makes developing a team from the ground up more challenging, and (2)  the idea of a players league makes a joke out of team loyalty. 

God, I hate to sound like a cretin who supports the old reserve clause, but in truth, the game plays better when you disregard finances. 

(in reply to rpommier)
Post #: 3
RE: Are finances ever an issue? - 7/18/2006 2:22:59 AM   
rpommier

rowtech,
Thanks for the reply, I can continue with my league now. I was getting really attached to some of my players (Really scary, huh?). I'm glad player salaries will become a concern later in my PureSim Asscoiation. There this one guy Larry Nance in my division who is freakin' awesome, who is playing for peanuts. I had a chance to take him in the draft but took a pitcher who went 0-8 the same year before I pulled him he was 7's for STUFF, VELOCITY & CONTROL and 9's for the second row, including potential. Now he's dropped in STUFF in the second season and is in AA, what a scrub! I'm scared to get rid of him though, $10mil x 5 years I'm paying this freak!

KG Erwin,
I see your point too, but leaving out team loyalty, finances are great. I like seeing a team, this time me, pay exhorbitant loot to a can't miss player, in my league that would be one Bobby Martinez (P) playing for my Houston Galaxy. Only to have him wallow in obscurity while collecting said loot. Good stuff there.

Thanks guys,
Rod

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Are finances ever an issue? - 7/18/2006 3:22:05 AM   
Abev

My team always is one of the lower finance teams and it's very rare for me to ba able to sign a moderately priced FA. I usually have 5-10 mil avail at the eand of each season, but I need to leave space to account for next seasons resignings.

(in reply to rpommier)
Post #: 5
RE: Are finances ever an issue? - 7/18/2006 3:50:58 AM   
rowech

I've been playing a league starting in 1969. I'm doing only 1 for 1 trades to keep things balanced. It's a good mix of finances and building a team. I accumulated some great talent in the first years just like you've found but I'm now moving into 1974 and had to say goodbye to Carlton who ended up 9.5 mill as opposed to the 6 I was paying him. Said goodbye to some other players as well. After a 111 win season and 105 win season and no championship, this team seems like they're still good but not what they were.

(in reply to rpommier)
Post #: 6
RE: Are finances ever an issue? - 7/18/2006 6:40:46 AM   
Abev

quote:

ORIGINAL: rowech

After a 111 win season and 105 win season and no championship, this team seems like they're still good but not what they were.

In my PS world, the team with the most wins NEVER wins.

(in reply to rowech)
Post #: 7
RE: Are finances ever an issue? - 7/18/2006 7:21:46 PM   
BauerPower

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Call me old -fashioned but I think free agency is evil and I play with finances off.

I say this for two reasons -- (1) it certainly makes developing a team from the ground up more challenging, and (2) the idea of a players league makes a joke out of team loyalty.

God, I hate to sound like a cretin who supports the old reserve clause, but in truth, the game plays better when you disregard finances.

I tried a new historical league with finances off and a 35 man roster. At the end of the first year the amateur draft took place (I had the 15th pick) and I found that only 2 teams had made picks prior to me because their rosters all had 35 players (the maximum). The benefit of financials on is that financials mean free agency which means roster space for drafting players. This made the league unplayable for me as I had all these great young players available, so I had to scrap the association. How does a person get around this problem if he/she plays with financials off?

< Message edited by BauerPower -- 7/18/2006 7:22:40 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
RE: Are finances ever an issue? - 7/18/2006 8:04:53 PM   
rowech

You would need to increase roster size which then allows fictional players in.  I'm finding I really like the setup of my league with finances on and 35 man rosters.  It's not perfect but it's very liveable and playable.  You have to make some decisions, etc.  Plus, once the player pool of free agents expands to the point where I think there's enough good players not playing, I'll simply expand the league. 

(in reply to BauerPower)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Are finances ever an issue? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI