Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Outstanding! ...and questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Outstanding! ...and questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Outstanding! ...and questions - 7/27/2006 4:00:58 AM   
Arditi

Outstanding game idea gents. I have played COG into the ground and it has been a satisfying experience. I look forward to this one even more.

A couple of questions please...

(1) Will we be able to savage supply lines, towns, etc. with Qauntrell's(sp?) guerilla's?

(2) The south recruited black soldiers at the end of the war on a limited basis; will this be modeled in the game?

I will be watching closely for the release of this probable gem. Arditi www.ironlegions.net
Post #: 1
RE: Outstanding! ...and questions - 7/27/2006 4:10:35 AM   
Gil R.

Regarding the first question, there will be raiders, and they will be able to do both of those things, as well as making themselves useful in other ways.

As for the second question, I am not fully familiar with all of the code, but do know that some of the "special units" will have "colored troops" (e.g., the 54th Massachusetts).

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 7/27/2006 4:12:12 AM >

(in reply to Arditi)
Post #: 2
RE: Outstanding! ...and questions - 7/27/2006 4:56:25 AM   
Gil R.

I really should read the manual more: yes, we have a mechanism whereby the CSA can get such a boost.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: Outstanding! ...and questions - 7/27/2006 5:44:09 AM   
Arditi

Thanks Gil.  Cavalry, during the Civil War, mainly fought dismounted...with exceptions...will cavalry have any other special abilities in the game?  Many thanks for your time.  Regards, Arditi   www.ironlegions.net

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: Outstanding! ...and questions - 7/27/2006 5:19:15 PM   
ericbabe

Cavalry are more useful as scouts in the FOF engine, in a few ways:

* One of the advanced game options is to hide the exact composition of enemy troops.  If this option is turned on, you will no longer know exactly what the enemy has, even in movement zones that are not hidden by fog-of-war.  Instead, there is a scouting/spying check made both to reveal the strength of enemy units and to conceal one's own units.  Cavalry (and any units with attached scouts) are an essential part of this check.  If you are light on cavalry/scouts compared to the enemy, then you might over-estimate or under-estimate his strength in a province by several factors.

* Before a detailed battle a "Scouting Check" is made by both the attacker and defender.  Again cavalry are an essential part of this check.  The winner of this check has the option to make a Scouting Action before the battle, such things as Raid Supplies, Surprise Attack, Flank Attack, Interior Lines, Avoid Battle, Reconnaissance, and so forth.  These actions have a chance of fatiguing/disordering your cavalry before the battle begins, but can have an enormous impact on the initial configuration of the battle.  For instance, Raid Supplies destroys 50% of the enemy's starting caissons, or Flank Attack allows you to setup units on two sides of the map.

In detailed combat, cavalry fight with much better fire attacks than in COG, nearly on-par with infantry damage, representing the changing role of cavalry in the Civil War.

(in reply to Arditi)
Post #: 5
RE: Outstanding! ...and questions - 7/28/2006 5:29:58 AM   
Arditi

Excellent...real depth here.  If this were a board game there would be a lot of die rolling to model the depth in FOF. A real labor of love here.

How about assasinations...or sabatuers?  Bet you guys have that as well?

< Message edited by Arditi -- 7/28/2006 5:31:15 AM >

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 6
RE: Outstanding! ...and questions - 7/28/2006 6:17:23 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arditi

Excellent...real depth here. If this were a board game there would be a lot of die rolling to model the depth in FOF. A real labor of love here.

How about assasinations...or sabatuers? Bet you guys have that as well?

Thanks for the compliment.

We have no assassinations (though generals can be killed in battle), but sabotage of various sorts is performed by partisans as well as raiders.

(in reply to Arditi)
Post #: 7
RE: Outstanding! ...and questions - 7/28/2006 7:23:10 AM   
jimwinsor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Thanks for the compliment.

We have no assassinations (though generals can be killed in battle)...

How about generals being shot by jealous husbands (ie, Earl Van Dorn)? Yep I think there should be a game mechanism for this.

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 8
RE: Outstanding! ...and questions - 7/28/2006 7:35:44 AM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimwinsor

How about generals being shot by jealous husbands (ie, Earl Van Dorn)? Yep I think there should be a game mechanism for this.

He said they could be killed in battle. I never heard him say there was a required number of opposing troops. So I guess one might say that this is in the game!

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Outstanding! ...and questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI