Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help, what are you supposed to do in such a case?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Help, what are you supposed to do in such a case? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help, what are you supposed to do in such a case? - 8/20/2006 6:42:11 PM   
Manticore

You know that there are about five Polish troops stacked up in two squares away from you. But due to elevation differences, you cannot see them. What are you supposed to do in such a case? I'm afraid to use artillery because my artillery is never 100% accurate, but then if I charge in with my units, they get slaughtered. Is this where mortar comes in? How are you supposed to use mortars? I never buy them. Is this a big mistake?

I hate how the polish just spend all their money on infantry, and make a big human wall assaulting my tanks and killing my infantry.

< Message edited by Manticore -- 8/20/2006 6:43:15 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Help, what are you supposed to do in such a case? - 8/20/2006 6:50:37 PM   
Goblin

Mortars, bro, mortars.

Since you have none, try every angle to get fire on them before approaching. If you can suppress them enough, you can get a tank on top of them and use Alt-O. Very fun.

If none of this works/appeals to you, back off, and let them come out of their hidey hole into your fire.

Goblin

(in reply to Manticore)
Post #: 2
RE: Help, what are you supposed to do in such a case? - 8/20/2006 7:21:06 PM   
Riun T

Hey Manticore, I figure your meaning theres "about 5 SQUADS" two hexes adjasent and above your force....??
If your stuck to only having infantry and your enemy is in buildings,higher ground,or entrenched,your going to have to wait until they commit to a direction of movement. is this a delay, defend,or advance for u.??? IN otherwords does he have to go for the victory hexes or do u???.
If he does get your troops to fall back between the VH's that he wants and as Goblin said wait for them.
If hes defending or delaying you and you can't flank with smoke or get a heavier support to the area in question.
The best way to take a hill is from all sides so hopefully you have enough men to skirt the leeh of BOTH facing hex and flanking two and progress a "v" of men around both sides of the high point,AND useing the artillary to smoke the whole area won't hurt your troops, SMOKE ROUNDS LANDING ON FRIENDLY UNITS DOES NO DAMMAGE

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 3
RE: Help, what are you supposed to do in such a case? - 8/20/2006 7:39:32 PM   
Goblin

I took his post to mean that there are 5 squads of Polish troops 2 hexes from him (probably retreated into the hex together), which he cannot use direct fire on because he cannot LOS the hex due to elevation differences. Which means he must move a unit next to them blind (with obvious results). A perfect case for mortars, for sure.

Riun has a good point about attacking/defending. If you are on the attack, they may not come out of their hiding spot, unless you take most of the hexes. Then they will attempt to capture one back, and will have to come out to do it.

Goblin

(in reply to Riun T)
Post #: 4
RE: Help, what are you supposed to do in such a case? - 8/20/2006 8:02:13 PM   
Korpraali V

The good thing about the mortars is that if you move them close enough - f.e. 10 hex away - they are very accurate. Use them to suppress the enemy in certain hex. Artillery suppresses and causes damage in areas, mortars in hexes.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 5
RE: Help, what are you supposed to do in such a case? - 8/21/2006 7:08:04 AM   
Manticore

Yes, I meant how Goblin interpreted. And good advice about smoke Riun T. I always forget to use them.

I like to play the Germans and noticed that there is a mortar section, and there is like mortar group with a platoon HQ and like 6? mortars.

Can only a platoon HQ unit or an observer unit call fire from a mortar with minimal delay response? I was thinking of maybe replacing one soldier from an infantry squad with a mortar unit (so there is for instance 1 platoon HQ, 3 rifle men, 1 mortar). Is this a stupid idea?

Thanks everyone

< Message edited by Manticore -- 8/21/2006 7:09:34 AM >

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 6
RE: Help, what are you supposed to do in such a case? - 8/21/2006 8:27:26 AM   
Riun T

Having attached HMG's MMG's or mortars in your platoon structsure is good if you can position them for fanning coverage of the rest of the platoons movements,like a diamond formation with a HMG or mortar bringing up their backs but still able to shoot out infront and beyond the plt/HQ's line of sight,I don't remember if the Mortarplatoons infantry HQ has priority time for Barrage but yes your right the HQ and FO will likely be the shortest call especially if they have radio's with the unit.

(in reply to Manticore)
Post #: 7
RE: Help, what are you supposed to do in such a case? - 8/21/2006 11:49:24 PM   
Krec

you have any sp guns . if so blast hexes next to them and you get splash damage. although splash has benn toned downed in this later ver. it still works.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to Riun T)
Post #: 8
RE: Help, what are you supposed to do in such a case? - 8/22/2006 5:32:41 AM   
Manticore

sorry, but no such luxury yet

(in reply to Krec)
Post #: 9
RE: Help, what are you supposed to do in such a case? - 8/22/2006 6:49:07 AM   
BruceAZ

We all have our different techniques and mortars will surpress the enemy buit with LOS, they can be inaccurate.

However, I like to attack from the flank so I will send units to the left or right to see if the elevation or terrain will allow me to "see them." If I still can't see them with a flank attack, then I will try some other area. Frontal assaults are too costly for me.

Recon
Semper Fi

(in reply to Manticore)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Help, what are you supposed to do in such a case? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI