Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Ideal Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> The Ideal Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Ideal Game - 10/29/2006 6:14:15 PM   
RAF

I have a dream.

Now that Talonsoft's campaign series and Microsoft's Close Combat series are within the same company, I thought I would mention a wargaming dream that I have had for about 10 years now (if not longer).

For a multi-player game that is played on two levels.

At the top level, take any Campaign Series scenario. I play with a great deal of unit cohesion. So, members of the same company tend to travel together within the command radius of the company commander. So, any campaign game I play involves sending companies to capture a town, or take a hill, or defend a particular part of the ridge. For example, I would send a recon company (armored cars) and a motorcycle company to scout out and occupy a particular town.

Now, Close Combat's 15-unit maximum is just slightly too small to represent a company. 21 units would be better - a few more slots would allow for detaching units from one company and assigning them to another.

So, the Battalion commander orders the recon and motorcycle companies to take a particular village. Those orders get transmitted to players who are playing at the "Close Combat" level. One commander controls the armored cars. The other controls the infantry. They attempt to take the town.

Meanwhile, the Campaign Series (e.g., Battalion, Regiment, Kampfgruppe level) commander is giving orders to another infantry company to clear the forest south of the town, and a tank company to cross the open fields north of town to cut off possible lines of escape or reinforcement for the enemy troops in the town. These orders, also, get transmitted to players who play at the "Close Combat" level.

The Campaign Series level commander allocates air strikes and Battalion-level artillery.

That, I think, would be a really cool game.

I don't expect that I would ever see it. But I still think it would be a real cool game.

< Message edited by RAF -- 10/29/2006 6:17:38 PM >
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> The Ideal Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI