Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Joseph E. Johnston - A Rating Analysis

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Ratings >> Joseph E. Johnston - A Rating Analysis Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Joseph E. Johnston - A Rating Analysis - 10/7/2006 2:23:30 AM   
lvaces

Having already done A. S. Johnston today, let me go for the Johnston double header and do Joseph E. today also.

Leadership - 6 (Great) His men always believed in him, and one of main reasons he was restored to command of the Army of the Tennessee after Bragg was to restore morale, so a high rating here.

Tactics - 5 (Good) Johnston would get 2 very different ratings for offensive and defensive tactics. Defense would be a 6, but offense only 3. Since he almost always defended, lean his rating towards the defense, and take the balance away from his initiative rating. He certainly had an eye for picking good ground to defend, as Sherman could testify.

Command - 4 (Fair) For all his strengths, Joseph E. always lost. He had 3 major commands. First the defense of Virginia against McClellen and was driven back to the gates of Richmond before being wounded and giving way to Lee. Second, a General in Chief role in the west during which he was strangely passive while Grant took Vicksburg. Third, defender of Georgia against Sherman, and again Johnston was driven back to the gates of the city he was supposed to be defending before being removed from command. As I said for A Johnston, it is hard to give more than a 3 to a commander who never won. Maybe we give him 1 bonus point because while he always lost, he did always lose slowly, so make him a 4.

Initiative - 2 (Poor) Here is where Johnston's problem seems to be. He never took control of the initiative and imposed his will on the enemy. During the whole Georgia campaign, he never launched a single significant counter-attack. He was forced back to Richmond by McClellen(!) and only counter-attacked at the very last minute (at Seven Oaks, which was screwed up). Sent west as General in Chief to stop Grant from taking Vicksburg, he might as well never left Richmond for his effect on the situation.

3 generals down ... 997 to go.
Post #: 1
RE: Joseph E. Johnston - A Rating Analysis - 10/7/2006 2:18:33 PM   
ezzler

James M. McPherson in Battle Cry of Freedom (1988)

Unlike Lee, whom necessity compelled to adopt a defensive strategy, Johnston by temperament preferred the defensive. He seemed to share with . . . [George B.] McClellan . .. a reluctance to commit troops to all-out combat. . . . This unwillingess to fight until everything was just right may have been rooted in Johnston’s character. A wartime story made the rounds about an antebellum visit by Johnston to a plantation for duck hunting. Though he had a reputation as a crack shot, he never pulled the trigger. “The bird flew too high or too low—the dogs were too far or too near—things never did suit exactly. He was . . . afraid to miss and risk his fine reputation.”

I am always reminded of this story when thinking on J Johnston.
The CSA's answer to George McClellan {except as Ivaces points out Mac was probably better.}
Those ratings look spot on to me.

(in reply to lvaces)
Post #: 2
RE: Joseph E. Johnston - A Rating Analysis - 10/9/2006 5:37:41 PM   
andysomers

WOW - I've always considered Johnston a fairly decent general, but I've never really delved into his command style.  lvaces, once again my kudos for a very fine review and ezz, a very nice quote and support. 

Any credit for Johnston at 1st Manassas? 

"The CSA's answer to McClellan" - I've never thought of it that way.  But I tend to actually agree with it!  Very loved by his troops, but definitely slow to act.  Well done!

AS

< Message edited by andysomers -- 10/9/2006 5:39:00 PM >

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Ratings >> Joseph E. Johnston - A Rating Analysis Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI