Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fog of War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Combat Command Series >> Fog of War Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fog of War - 8/5/2011 1:33:54 AM   
Rosseau

I'm playing the Longstop Hill scenario as the Axis with Fog on High. Should I really be able to see the Allied units entering from the bottom of the map? I can't tell what type they are, of course, but it would improve the drama of the game if Fog on high was a bit foggier?
Post #: 1
RE: Fog of War - 8/5/2011 6:44:48 AM   
sabre1

+1^

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 2
RE: Fog of War - 8/5/2011 7:29:58 AM   
Obsolete

quote:

I'm playing the Longstop Hill scenario as the Axis with Fog on High. Should I really be able to see the Allied units entering from the bottom of the map?

FoW is much different than what you'd expect in an RTS, yes. It doesn't quite work by distance only, but other factors. Look at it this way, if we hid units until they were close to your counters, then any retired army vet would be cussing all over the forums on how unrealistic this is, and why can't his expected ambient visual factors like air recons, ground recons, and spies, etc. tell him of the approaching units far before they even get close.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 3
RE: Fog of War - 8/6/2011 1:08:46 AM   
Rosseau

In retrospect, I agree. Seeing an entire regiment just come out of nowhere would be NG.

I did notice a brit unit just two hexes away with the generic symbol on high fog. So it's working well. It drove me nuts not knowing what it was. So I did some recon and got myself in trouble, as it should be. Thanks Obsolete.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 4
RE: Fog of War - 8/8/2011 12:39:09 PM   
PirateJock

Artillery always seems to be revealed - suppose it's because they make such a big bang so easily located

Anybody have much success with counter-battery fire?

Cheers

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 5
RE: Fog of War - 8/8/2011 3:30:20 PM   
sabre1

Nope, it never seems to have any effect, other than to let you know that I know where you are.

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 6
RE: Fog of War - 8/9/2011 6:53:19 AM   
Obsolete

Bombarding (non-assault) will always be a bit week because of -1 and -2 column shifts.

Back to the FoW issues, the worst possible FoW mechanic I've seen in a wargame was in PG-III. Though earlier versions may have had the same problem. I do remember in particular, having a super-duper hero unit (very high scouting ability), and while he was SUPPOSED to spot things many hexes away, I'd have an enemy unit just show up out of no-where and instantly kill him.

An analysis showed that when my unit was at the edge of a map, for some unknown reason it isn't allow to know there are units 1 hex off the edge of the map, and enemy units can just spawn next to my recon therefore and insta-kill him.

Alright this problem isn't just with PG but with a billion other wargames, but it sure seemed to always hurt & sting the most in PG.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 7
RE: Fog of War - 8/9/2011 9:29:01 AM   
PirateJock

quote:

I did notice a brit unit just two hexes away with the generic symbol on high fog. So it's working well. It drove me nuts not knowing what it was. So I did some recon and got myself in trouble, as it should be.

If the enemy unit is in woods you can be adjacent and still not know what it is - annoying but nice touch. Also means you've no idea what damage you're causing ... until he's destroyed (hopefully) or runs away.

Cheers

< Message edited by PirateJock -- 8/9/2011 9:30:14 AM >

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 8
RE: Fog of War - 9/3/2011 1:16:08 AM   
Obsolete

Re-reading this thread, just to add to Jock's last input...

The situation mentioned only occurs during night-time hours, during the day you would get LIMITED info on that unit, so you'd then at least know what TYPE of unit it was. Of course, if your adjacent enemy decided to take advantage of opportunity or direct fire, then he'd be surrendering extra info over to you...

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Combat Command Series >> Fog of War Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI