Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ever dream about AWD?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Ever dream about AWD? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ever dream about AWD? - 11/23/2006 10:38:49 PM   
christian brown

I fell asleep on the the train today convinced that a climactic battaille for Rostov was in this works.....scary.....
This kind of thing ever happen to you?

BTW, I won, the Russians got a 45% victory! Now back to the PBEMs where things are not so rosy.... nor so easy in dreamland....

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson
Post #: 1
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/23/2006 11:40:06 PM   
dobeln

/laughs! :)

Not yet - but it's coming, I'm sure :)

(in reply to christian brown)
Post #: 2
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 1:22:27 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Have not dreamed about it yet but once in awhile I'll think of my next move and it puts me to sleep.  Least you were winning.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to dobeln)
Post #: 3
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 1:30:26 AM   
GKar

Yes, actually.
Being somewhat behind I answered all of my PBEMs yesterday with some interesting situations present. Then later at night I couldn't stop thinking about the strategic problems and opportunities. Being half-asleep it became worse, my mind mixed up things of the different games and added some fiction. In the end I slept really bad and am tired the whole day...
It's worth it though!

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 4
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 1:48:35 AM   
rjh1971

Don't know why I see myself reflected in all posts above. I usually get to sleep by thinking new strategies or the move I'm going to take, but heck I don't sleep bad because of it, lol.

I think Tetris get you to dream and day dream with it, when my sister got a gameboy and that was a long time ago, I couldn't take tetris out of my mind, those damn blocks falling and fitting awful, I'd rather dream with AWD and similar strategy games.

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 5
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 1:53:30 AM   
GKar

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjh1971

I think Tetris get you to dream and day dream with it, when my sister got a gameboy and that was a long time ago, I couldn't take tetris out of my mind, those damn blocks falling and fitting awful, I'd rather dream with AWD and similar strategy games.

The first time that happened to me was with Sim City (1 - of course!) on the Amiga. I played it almost non-stop the first days, and kept "building" my cities while asleep.

Don't worry though: It's not frequent for me, and I learned how to stop when playing too much - I think...

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 6
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 1:59:00 AM   
rjh1971

quote:

Don't worry though: It's not frequent for me, and I learned how to stop when playing too much - I think...

Do you know how to stop playing AWD? I had no problem with tetris at all, but AWD is another thing, also it's not just the game it's all the opinions you get to read and write in the forum

< Message edited by rjh1971 -- 11/24/2006 2:03:25 AM >

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 7
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 5:50:38 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Some people would say "We" probley need counseling.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 8
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 11:36:06 AM   
GKar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

Some people would say "We" probley need counseling.

They're simply ignorant! Great arts need great sacrifices!

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjh1971

Do you know how to stop playing AWD?
...read and write in the forum

*lies* Sure, how hard could that be!

It's not that hard for me at the moment though, the university is demanding attention. Wait a minute, I could try to get my tutor to play it...

And no sir, I'm not guilty of looking often in the forum! Not at all! *lies again*

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 9
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 12:06:30 PM   
rjh1971

quote:

Original: Gkar
It's not that hard for me at the moment though, the university is demanding attention

University, being single, no money but lots of time... Sweet gone days for me.
Enjoy them while they last (carpe diem), 'cause after that it's the real world, oh it has it's advantages too, more money ... less time

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 10
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 12:55:08 PM   
templeton

I've had situations where if I play a game too much it invades my sub-conscious...

It's only happened with Fallout II, which I was addicted too at university. If I was half-asleep I'd see the game interface, and start to see things in terms of points gained. VERY SAD.

Well, at least I'm amongst friends...

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 11
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 1:16:54 PM   
Rabbitman

I invaded Mongolia, with a unit of Japanese Milita, last turn before bed and went to sleep dreaming of a Japanese version of Dad's Army.

Pride of the League

(in reply to templeton)
Post #: 12
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 2:18:47 PM   
christian brown

The fact that I started this thread and did not get tarred and feathered for it is in fact rather problematic...........if you think about it.

I've also been known when semi-asleep to (OK, this is actually real, cringe) tell my lady friends they don't have supply for movement and must stop whatever they are doing.

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Rabbitman)
Post #: 13
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 2:48:22 PM   
GKar

quote:

ORIGINAL: templeton

It's only happened with Fallout II, which I was addicted too at university.

Fallout rocks! (part 1 and 2, that is)

quote:

ORIGINAL: christian brown

I've also been known when semi-asleep to (OK, this is actually real, cringe) tell my lady friends they don't have supply for movement and must stop whatever they are doing.

Ahem, this might actually be at your disadvantage...

Post #: 14
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 3:21:46 PM   
Rabbitman

Fallout was great but I have a question about it though. Were the rumours of Dr Who's tardis, just that??(never did find the damn thing)

I so wish I had a copy of fallout 2.

Oh and tonight, I'll probably have nightmares of that damn central med battle............

Pride of the League

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 15
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 5:12:42 PM   
dobeln

"I've also been known when semi-asleep to (OK, this is actually real, cringe) tell my lady friends they don't have supply for movement and must stop whatever they are doing."

Ok, this is pretty serious ;)

(in reply to Rabbitman)
Post #: 16
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 9:03:48 PM   
christian brown

Yeah, and one time, I told my ex she couldn't get out of bed because, and I quote myself here: "that's an illegal strategic move."  No wonder she's divorcing me, lol!

~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to dobeln)
Post #: 17
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 11:28:08 PM   
rjh1971

quote:

Original Christian Brown
Yeah, and one time, I told my ex she couldn't get out of bed because, and I quote myself here: "that's an illegal strategic move."

This is just too much, you ought to cut down a bit man. What if you said "chance of succesfully invading 35%"

I couldn't help bursting laughing when I read what you said in bed.

Post #: 18
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 11:47:52 PM   
GKar

Well, as everybody ought to know, it's not allowed to get in (read: invade) and out of a bed in the same turn!

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 19
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/24/2006 11:48:04 PM   
YohanTM2

Gotta admit, the answer is no. My main pbem buddy and I were just chatting about this the other day. What we like about AWD is that it is a light game, no slur intended, that is fun to play but no biggie if you make a few mistakes.

We relate this to WiF (board version - at least until Steve is done) where you are planning and plotting and reviewing the map between gaming nights. Much more stressful from our viewpoint.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 20
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/25/2006 3:05:51 AM   
christian brown

quote:

that is fun to play but no biggie if you make a few mistakes.

If by "no biggie, you mean the sky doesn't fall, of course you are right; but if you mean that you can "get away with" a few mistakes and win, well then you are, ummm "mistaken."
I do understand what you are saying though, usually you do not for example: lose a capital over a trivial error.  (But in the case of England and Moscow, the term "trivial" is open to interpretation......)

~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 21
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/25/2006 11:22:05 AM   
christian brown

All right Templeton, it has to be asked: are you the soldier in the picture?  Where are you based?  Deployed?  I worked at SHAPE/Chievres here in the BENELUX for 7 years............feel free to drop me a PM if you are in the area and we'll have a beer.....even if you are in K-Town or the surrounding area, I'd be happy to pay you a visit. 

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 22
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/25/2006 11:33:28 AM   
GKar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yohan

What we like about AWD is that it is a light game, no slur intended, that is fun to play but no biggie if you make a few mistakes.

That may be just me, but I need about an hour to make a solid move in 1941+. And I think about it in advance or later more often than I'd like too...

Sure, there are much more detailed and complicated games on the market, but I like it exactly the way it is. When trying to play well it's even at an upper limit of what I can afford at the moment.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 23
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/25/2006 2:01:08 PM   
Rabbitman

The mistake I make is getting too greedy.

I just see territory to invade and do so and it usually comes back and bites me in the arse.

I just need to learn to prioritize better and also how to be more patient.(probably the same in my offline life as well)

Pride of the League

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 24
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/25/2006 8:31:42 PM   
rjh1971

Rabbitman, did you get the mail I sent you with the link to that yearn game?

(in reply to Rabbitman)
Post #: 25
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/25/2006 8:34:43 PM   
rjh1971

quote:

Original: GKar
That may be just me, but I need about an hour to make a solid move in 1941+.

Ditto that, as the game goes on, I seem to take longer thinking what moves should I make, specially while playing the allies.

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 26
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/26/2006 3:23:34 PM   
christian brown

By 1945 moving the WA to take down Japan becomes a total light Col's staff work session.......I play extremely fast but in this situation, yep, I'm diddling for about an hour.....this also happens to me when I play the Axis anytime after Barbarossa/PH.

~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 27
RE: Ever dream about AWD? - 11/26/2006 4:06:20 PM   
rjh1971

Oh yeah the Axis take time to move, but only if they are on the winning run, if you're on the defensive with them, doesn't take so long, unlike the WA which even losing take time to make the turn.

Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Ever dream about AWD? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI