Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

General Feedback on Game Issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> The War Room >> General Feedback on Game Issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
General Feedback on Game Issues - 5/14/2007 7:07:43 PM   
jspickernell

HAving played the game for a long time now and being a long standing Napoleonic enthusiast I thought I would list some issues that I have with the game that I think hamper its playability and realism

1. Rifles - these units are ridiculously powerful and are treated like units of line infantry with the same rate of fire but a much longer range. This means that they tend to get deployed in line formation in a battle and are used a bit like artillery rather than as long-range skirmishers.

2. Howitzers - again these are excessively powerful - the Napoleonic howitzer had a shorter range and generally caused much less casualties that using round shot.

3. Militia - in most cases it is impossible to deploy these troops in line and (other than if they are in fortresses) it is usually better to keep them out of the action rather than risk them routing and affecting the army overall morale. It should be possible to deploy in line - they may then have problems moving, redeploying to column etc but at least they could be used as part of a defensive position.

4. Geurillas - in quick battles these quite often win against very large odds - this has very little foundation in fact in the Napoleonic period.

5. Total War and the generation of wandering cossacks, spanish guerillas etc - as mentioned by many people - this is totally unrealistic - guerillas tended not to leave their own province let alone leave the boundaries of their country. Cossacks may have wandered a bit further but certainly not into france and spain.

6. Infantry forming line - again there seems no justification for regular infantry (even if green) not to be able to form line whilst not under threat by the enemy.

7. Initial deployment in detailed battle - again this is a perennial complaint of many - but it is simply unrealistic for so often artillery to be caught unawares by cavalry.

8. Naval battles - Merchants particularly if british can often engage frigates or even ships of the line and win - this is totally unrealistic - the best a merchant ship could hope for would be to escape - it is simply ludicrous to imagine a merchan vessel engaging a ship of the line and winning. Even an armed merchantman would have less guns, with a shorter range than even a frigate and would also be very limited in their training to use them.

9. Quick battles - would be nice to always have the opportunity to fight detailed battle.

10 . Would be nice to have a larger detailed battle field.

That's it for now - its a great game but it would be nice to correct some of these things now that forge of freedom is out.

Post #: 1
RE: General Feedback on Game Issues - 5/30/2007 2:59:57 AM   
Rapier117

I agree 100% with every issue raised by Jspickernell.

My concern is that all of these issues have been raised previously and, in most cases, many many months ago. The fact that the game hasn't been patched to modify any of this indicates to me that nothing will be done.

Last year the game developers said they were not "walking away" from this game and would continue to support it.

My question to Matrix Games is: Do you worry about credibility with the game community?

(in reply to jspickernell)
Post #: 2
RE: General Feedback on Game Issues - 5/30/2007 11:24:32 AM   
jkBluesman

Now that the next patch for FoF is done CoG is comming back into focus.

(in reply to Rapier117)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> The War Room >> General Feedback on Game Issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI