Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

unreasonable governor requests

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> unreasonable governor requests Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
unreasonable governor requests - 12/9/2006 3:06:24 AM   
spruce

I had the governor of Alabama ask for a university - which boosts research from already institutes. But the university is so expensive ! (250 gold) ! and there was not one building it could give bonuses to in the whole province.

the Ironworks is also such an extreme expensive building - and those governors just "ask" ...

Shouldn't some buildings not be asked by governors - just to keep the game somewhat realistic. I had save all my money to buy that university cause he kept on asking for more then a year.
Post #: 1
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/9/2006 3:16:42 AM   
Hard Sarge

LOL

Odd, my last test game I ran, I seen that bugger ask for a Ironworks

I thought we had some stuff set up for what they could should ask for (we wanted thinks like shipyards and what not being asked for left and right)

during beta, I never seen either of these asked for, normally a Hosp, or tele or Barracks, rarely a Reseach type

I am sure Eric can look and see if something is screwy or not, or if this is what was wanted

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 2
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/9/2006 3:42:18 AM   
Malagant

I have also had the Governor of Michigan request a university. Not very reasonable of him.

"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 3
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/9/2006 6:12:45 AM   
jchastain

Having govenors make unreasonable requests seems pretty realistic to me.  Deciding whether or not to "pay them off" is part of the strategy.  For a few, I'll buy something stupid.  But those are the decisions that must be made.  If they only asked for useful things, they'd be considered a tutorial, not a feature.

(in reply to Malagant)
Post #: 4
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/9/2006 7:56:45 AM   
Hard Sarge

besides, wait until you got major battles going in Kentucky with enemy forces trying to break into the Tenn-Miss river line and the Gov from Ark demands 14 Bdes of troops to keep him happy

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 5
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/9/2006 8:52:26 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: spruce

I had the governor of Alabama ask for a university - which boosts research from already institutes. But the university is so expensive ! (250 gold) ! and there was not one building it could give bonuses to in the whole province.

the Ironworks is also such an extreme expensive building - and those governors just "ask" ...

Shouldn't some buildings not be asked by governors - just to keep the game somewhat realistic. I had save all my money to buy that university cause he kept on asking for more then a year.

Where do you think the term "Pork Barrel" comes from? No matter what the time period, political party, or circumstances, most politicians want to bring home some bacon, and some more than most. Ever drive through West Virginia?

< Message edited by AU Tiger -- 12/9/2006 9:01:00 AM >

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 6
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/9/2006 8:54:27 AM   
Shoot Me_I Explode

I agree, some of these request are simply never going to happen.  In my current game with JonReb I have the governor of Ohio asking for an Iron Works and the governor of Missouri asking for 16 brigades as I am about to engage a 80k confederate army in Kentucky.  I’m still dumfounded by the Missouri governor who asked me earlier for a naval academy, I gave it to him but still,…in Missouri???

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 7
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/9/2006 12:42:21 PM   
spruce

Ok, I must say I'm not opposed that Governors can be a pain in the @"" and ask unreasonable buildings to be contructed in their state (a hospital in Texas, why not?) - I don't even mind the Arkansas governor asking the presence of 16 brigades when the South is invading Illinois and Kansas (I can dealy that invasion for the pretty face of that guy) ...

What I do mind is that some governors keep on asking totally unrealistic requests - like the Alabama dude who wanted a university for his state. After some turns of saving money (250 gold is a lot for the CSA) I checked wher to build his university - it seemed not ONE of his cities had an institute for reserach ?!? Frankly, this is like the president of Egypt wanting to build a ski-resort in the vicinity of the sphinx ... a politician asking such crazy things would have been ousted from office immediately by the competition.

Another thing I do mind is that they keep on asking this crazy stuff for a very very long time. The governor of Alabama was a firm ally, and a year after nagging for his university he was already beginning to disrupt the war effort.

Point finale = either delete some "very very expensive" buildings from their wish list or shorten their request time - so they don't get from "loyal ally to rebellious" by their weird behaviour ...

< Message edited by spruce -- 12/9/2006 12:51:04 PM >

(in reply to Shoot Me_I Explode)
Post #: 8
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/9/2006 6:15:53 PM   
ericbabe

Politicians acting unreasonably?  Aw, that only happens in games.

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 9
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/9/2006 7:34:59 PM   
Feltan

I have to say that this is one of the better implemented and innovative aspects of the game. Not too annoying, but important enough that you can't ignore. A big "two thumbs up" for the political and Governor aspect fo the game.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 10
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/9/2006 11:36:05 PM   
spruce

so no change then ? No problems here - but I must say that for the CSA funding a university is very difficult - especially if its Alabama ...

well I won the war eventually - so that university will serve to teach the "altered" history

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 11
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/10/2006 1:37:50 AM   
Gil R.

There's nothing unreasonable about a governor wanting a university even if there are no research institutions there -- those would be the next step. Seems like a smart development plan to me.

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 12
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/10/2006 1:48:18 AM   
spruce

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

There's nothing unreasonable about a governor wanting a university even if there are no research institutions there -- those would be the next step. Seems like a smart development plan to me.

yeah, that's funny you mention it - that was also the excuse I gave myself to finally build it - and I build it a city with some room for new buildings - and promise to myself the war would be over before the university was finished! Which I pulled off...

But I must say - in the face of victory, funding a university is still something different then compared to face imminent defeat.

< Message edited by spruce -- 12/10/2006 1:57:53 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 13
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/10/2006 3:48:00 AM   
Joram

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

LOL

Odd, my last test game I ran, I seen that bugger ask for a Ironworks

I thought we had some stuff set up for what they could should ask for (we wanted thinks like shipyards and what not being asked for left and right)

during beta, I never seen either of these asked for, normally a Hosp, or tele or Barracks, rarely a Reseach type

I am sure Eric can look and see if something is screwy or not, or if this is what was wanted

quote:

university - which boosts research from already institutes. But the university is so expensive ! (250 gold) ! and there was not one building it could give bonuses to in the whole province.

the Ironworks is also such an extreme expensive building - and those governors just

Actually I get research building requests fairly frequently. Usually would want to build it but occasionally I see the university issue as well in some place where it is absolutely useless. I think the frequency is a bit more common than you think and if there is a mechanism to set frequencies, I'd suggest toning some of the more expensive ones down a bit.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 14
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/10/2006 2:35:40 PM   
spruce

Joram, indeed you are correct - but going on Erics and Gils reaction .. they won't change it. What troubles me most is that these Governors keep on requesting these buildings for a very very long time - and I must confess when Alabama started to ask for his university - I couldn't simply afford it with my money only going up by +15/+25 gold a turn - that's simply mission impossible. But I think he was requesting it for more then a year and destroying the good relations he had with the goverment.

On the other hand - how on earth can you grow relations back up ? I've had a new governor for Virginia (a republican !) and I gave everything he asked for ( I Think I gave him 6 times what he wanted) and his attitude went from -100 to - 78 -

I think the politics in this game are great - but they should actually work !

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 15
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/10/2006 3:26:05 PM   
jonreb31

I think the governors are fine how they are, adds a great aspect to the game. I've never heard of politicians being reasonable, anyway.

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 16
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/10/2006 11:49:02 PM   
spruce

quote:

ORIGINAL: JonReb

I think the governors are fine how they are, adds a great aspect to the game. I've never heard of politicians being reasonable, anyway.

off course - it's fine and a great aspect for the game. This thread is not a critic - it's just meant to make it better.

The point is what will you do when the governor of Alabama (who's supporting your war effort greatly) starts to ask for a university in his state around 1863 ... and your goverment has to save nearly a whole year for it ! And it has actually no incentive to invest in that university - it just means that one state will change from helping to opposing you. Which is perfectly fine ... and very innovative.

What I really mean is - who of you guys actually has experienced this ? More to talk about it ...

(in reply to jonreb31)
Post #: 17
RE: unreasonable governor requests - 12/11/2006 5:21:21 AM   
Artmiser

Give em what they want, and better yet promote generals from there area.  Depending on the rank the jump can be fairly nice.

And yes Playing the North I just go done building the Govenor of DE his 2nd bank.  The cost of the item should impact how much his alliance will shift.  I think I got +10 or so for that last bank.    Break the buildings into ranks, like generals, and assign a value based on the rank of the building.  My 2 cents but should be fairly straight forward since you currently seem to give bigger shifts for promoting to higher ranks.

Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> unreasonable governor requests Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI