Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CSA bios: J.A. Wharton, G.C. Wharton

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> CSA bios: J.A. Wharton, G.C. Wharton Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CSA bios: J.A. Wharton, G.C. Wharton - 12/15/2006 11:31:01 PM   
Battleline

John A. Wharton, CSA (b. 1828 d. 1865) “Friendly Fire” takes a whole new meaning in the death of Major Gen. John A. Wharton. Differing in “military matters” with Col. George W. Baylor of the Second Texas Cavalry, the officers met in Gen. Magruder’s Houston hotel quarters April 6, 1865. According to Baylor’s account, Wharton slapped Baylor and called him a liar. Baylor then shot and killed Wharton, who was found to be unarmed. Wharton was born near Nashville, Tenn., July 3, 1828. Early in his life, he moved with his father to Texas. Educated locally, and later at South Carolina College, Wharton was admitted to the Brazoria, Texas, bar and practiced law locally until the outbreak of the Civil War. Elected to the secession convention, Wharton continued his service to the Confederacy in Col. B.F. Terry’s Texas Rangers (Eighth Texas Cavalry) and was elected captain of one of the unit’s companies. After Terry and Lt. Col. Lubbock were killed in action, Wharton led the Eighth Texas Cavalry at the Battle of Shiloh “with great distinction” (Generals in Gray) and was wounded in action. He was back with his unit for the Kentucky Campaign of 1862. Fighting with cavalry under generals Forrest and Wheeler, Wharton again was up to the challenge at Murfreesboro and Chickamauga. He was promoted to major general Nov. 10, 1863, and assigned to command the cavalry in Gen. Richard Taylor’s department. He led units in the final stages of the Red River Campaign, contributing to the final defeat of Federal Gen. Banks. He continued his service in the Trans-Mississippi theater until his death.

Gabriel C. Wharton, CSA (b. 1824 d. 1906) Gabriel Colvin Wharton was born in Culpepper County, Va., July 23, 1824. He graduated second in the Virginia Military Institute class of 1847 and became a civil engineer. He was involved in mining in Arizona before the outbreak of the war. He joined the 45th Virginia Regiment July, 1861, and was elected major. He was made colonel of the 51st Virginia Regiment in August, 1861. His first action came with Gen. John B. Floyd’s Western Virginia Campaign. Defending Fort Donaldson, Wharton escaped with Floyd in February, 1862. Sent east, Wharton commanded units under generals Loring and Samuel Jones in the western part of Virginia. He received his promotion to brigadier general July 8, 1863, and briefly commanded the Valley District. During the winter and spring of 1863-64, Wharton served with Gen. Longstreet’s command in East Tennessee. He commanded a brigade at the Battle of New Market and pursued Federal forces under Gen. Hunter. His brigade fought with Gen. Early’s Shenandoah Campaign and subsequent attacks into Maryland and Washington, D.C. His command was soundly defeated at Waynesboro in March of 1865. Paroled at Lynchburg, Va., June 21, 1865, he resided in Radford, Va., for the remainder of his life. Several times elected to the state senate, Wharton spent much of his time developing mining in Virginia. He died May 12, 1906.
Post #: 1
RE: CSA bios: J.A. Wharton, G.C. Wharton - 12/19/2006 2:14:51 AM   
Gil R.

Got it. Thanks!

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 2
RE: CSA bios: J.A. Wharton, G.C. Wharton - 2/6/2007 3:54:57 AM   
Gil R.

I had a bit of time, so I just did the two Whartons. Please let me know if I got wrong any of the first names that I inserted. (In the future, please try to include full names for generals and other officers, since I like to include that information.)

Maj. Gen. John A. Wharton (b. 1828, d. 1865). “Friendly Fire” takes a whole new meaning in the death of Wharton. Differing in “military matters” with Col. George W. Baylor of the Second Texas Cavalry, the officers met in Gen. John B. Magruder’s Houston hotel quarters on April 6, 1865. According to Baylor’s account, Wharton slapped Baylor and called him a liar. Baylor then shot and killed Wharton, who was found to be unarmed. Nearly thirty-seven years earlier, Wharton was born near Nashville, Tenn., on July 3, 1828. Early in his life, he moved with his father to Texas. Educated locally, and later at South Carolina College, Wharton was admitted to the Brazoria, Texas, bar and practiced law locally until the outbreak of the Civil War. Elected to the secession convention, Wharton continued his service to the Confederacy in Col. B.F. Terry’s Texas Rangers (Eighth Texas Cavalry) and was elected captain of one of the unit’s companies. After Terry and Lt. Col. Thomas S. Lubbock were killed in action Wikipedia’s entry on Lubbock says that he died from disease – are you sure he was KIA?, Wharton distinguished himself while leading the Eighth Texas Cavalry at the Battle of Shiloh and being wounded in action. He was back with his unit for the Kentucky Campaign of 1862. Fighting with cavalry under Gen. Nathan B. Forrest and Gen. Joseph Wheeler, Wharton again was up to the challenge at Murfreesboro and Chickamauga. He was promoted to Major General on Nov. 10, 1863, and assigned to command the cavalry in Gen. Richard Taylor’s department. He led units in the final stages of the Red River Campaign, contributing to the final defeat of Union Gen. Nathaniel P. Banks. He continued his service in the Trans-Mississippi theater until his death.

Leadership: 5
Tactics: 4
Initiative: 4
Command: 4
Cavalry: 5

Teaches: Chargers (13)

Start date: 45

Gabriel C. Wharton (b. 1824, d. 1906). Wharton was born in Culpepper County, Virginia, on July 23, 1824. He graduated second in the Virginia Military Institute class of 1847 and became a civil engineer. He was involved in mining in Arizona before the outbreak of the war, when he joined the 45th Virginia Regiment that July and was elected Major. Wharton was made Colonel of the 51st Virginia Regiment in August, 1861. His first action came with Gen. John B. Floyd’s Western Virginia Campaign. Defending Fort Donaldson, Wharton escaped with Floyd in February, 1862. Sent east, Wharton commanded units under Gen. William W. Loring and Gen. Samuel Jones in the western part of Virginia. He received his promotion to Brigadier General on July 8, 1863, and briefly commanded the Valley District. During the winter and spring of 1863-64, Wharton served with Gen. James Longstreet’s command in East Tennessee. He commanded a brigade at the Battle of New Market and pursued Federal forces under Gen. David Hunter. His brigade fought in Gen. Jubal Early’s Shenandoah Campaign and subsequent attacks into Maryland and Washington, D.C. Wharton’s command was soundly defeated at Waynesboro in March of 1865. Having been paroled at Lynchburg on June 21, 1865, he resided in Radford, Va., for the remainder of his life. Several times elected to the state senate, Wharton spent much of his time developing mining in Virginia. He died on May 12, 1906.

Leadership: 4
Tactics: 4
Initiative: 3
Command: 4
Cavalry: 0

Start date: 60

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: CSA bios: J.A. Wharton, G.C. Wharton - 2/7/2007 7:37:43 PM   
Battleline

Gabriel Colvin Wharton should be a brigadier general.
Warner is cryptic about the deaths of Terry and Lubbock, leaving the statement near one of combat, but never specifying.
As soon as I am able, I will try to cobble together a workable Sibley bio if you would like. Also, I'll pick back up where I left off. Been VERY busy over the last couple of weeks!
Battleline

< Message edited by Battleline -- 2/7/2007 7:51:51 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: CSA bios: J.A. Wharton, G.C. Wharton - 2/9/2007 2:21:55 AM   
Gil R.

Good catch -- I forgot to add his rank!

I think I'll change it to say "after the deaths of Terry and Lubbock," which removes the danger of error.

Don't worry about busy -- I'm still behind in editing your bios, to the tune of thirty or so. But I'll make a big push, since I want at least 100 bios in this patch, and I'm still about 20 or so off.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> CSA bios: J.A. Wharton, G.C. Wharton Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI