Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about the game going on past 1865

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Question about the game going on past 1865 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about the game going on past 1865 - 8/27/2007 5:52:46 AM   
pandora6969

Was reading a post by Rober E lee, hehe which not to many people were happy with his post, but I was wondering can I play the game past 1865, I tried to post in the thread GREAT GAME RUINED, but it would't let me, so I just wanted to ask if the game does go past 1865, how do I set it up to go so? Thank you for the info, to whom ever replys.
Post #: 1
RE: Question about the game going on past 1865 - 8/27/2007 6:04:24 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

I think there is a total victory option at the start screen, although I might be wrong. Check and see if there is. If not I will look into it for you.

also, you might want to post this in the regular part of the fof forum

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to pandora6969)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about the game going on past 1865 - 8/27/2007 6:05:42 AM   
Gil R.

There is a "Total Victory" option on the option screen that lets you play without the rule that starts awarding victory points to the CSA each turn beginning in 1865 (which is intended to reflect the notion that the South would have started to gain international legitimacy as a sovereign country the longer it remained unconquered). You have to select this option during set-up, though -- you can't decide that you like a game you're playing and want to extend it.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to pandora6969)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about the game going on past 1865 - 8/27/2007 6:19:18 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Much better answer than I provided. Note that Gil said the victory condition rule is not in effect with this option.

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about the game going on past 1865 - 8/30/2007 3:59:07 AM   
Gil R.

I should add that this option was put in the game after a small but vocal group got upset about the lack of a total victory option, which explains why the manual doesn't mention it. People should definitely read the patch documentation, which has crucial info about how the game has evolved.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about the game going on past 1865 - 8/30/2007 6:41:03 PM   
ericbabe

Actually I think total victory just doubles the required number of victory points, which should extend the game a few more years, but I don't think it extends the game indefinitely.  Most people who wanted longer games seem to be satisfied with this option.  If, after playing a few games, you still think this isn't enough I could see making this aspect moddable (it may already be, I can't remember offhand).

I don't want to be officially responsible for trying to balance out games that last 20 years.  In a very long game at some point the economic and unit rules are going to breakdown since there aren't long-term counter-balancing rules to keep certain things in check, then people will complain about the historicity of the game at that point.

This happened to us with Crown of Glory.  The longest campaign scenario we designed and tested was the 10 year scenario from 1805-1815.  After the game shipped there was a request from many players that we add a longer campaign from 1792-1820.  We did this simply by increasing the time limit on the 1792 starting conditions.  However there many play balance and historical balance problems with the longer campaign that were not problems in our shorter 10 year campaign.  In the 28 year campaign, for instance, players could support much larger armies than we'd seen with the testing of the 10 year campaign, and certain nations, such as Turkey, could become much more powerful than we'd ever been able to do in the 10 year campaign.  Also some rules that were only minor parts of the 10 year campaign (such as the economic waste rule) came to dominate play in the larger campaign in ways we had not seen during testing.

People would then cite all of these problems with the 28 year scenario as reasons not to play COG.  So I'm not enthusiastic about allowing people to play out the Civil War indefinitely for this reason, and if we did allow it I would want it to be in some very unofficial way, such as through a game mod.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about the game going on past 1865 - 8/30/2007 6:47:32 PM   
Joram

That's a very interesting insight Eric, thanks!

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Question about the game going on past 1865 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI