Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Next Patch ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Next Patch ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Next Patch ? - 1/4/2007 6:39:09 AM   
Call Me Earl

I know from reading the forums you guys have your hands full, but is there any chance that the TCP/IP problems are going to be addressed in the next patch ? Thks, Call Me Earl

Post #: 1
RE: Next Patch ? - 1/4/2007 7:39:07 PM   
ericbabe

Probably not in the next patch.  Big things for the next patch are:

• Adding end-game statistics (via an improved Overview screen) with additional statistics for battle history
  • Hopefully adding a replay feature for pbem (I'm testing that out this morning)
  • Many little interface improvements people have requested
  • Small changes to rules people have requested, such as: relating march attrition to disposition, tweaks to the disease rules, lowering pursuit casualties, etc.
  • Some changes to the scenarios...possibly an additional scenario (though may not be ready for the next patch, not sure)
My current hypothesis on the reported problems with TCP/IP is that it is caused by dropped packets -- hypothesis based on the stability of the game when tested on our LAN (which is very unlikely to drop packets, and on which the game seems to be quite stable) and also that some people seem to be playing over the internet without any problems; the assertion that people are getting happens when the transfered game is in a bad format, and the most natural explanation for this is that a packet was dropped.  Unfortunately we're using an older version of Microsoft's Direct Play which does have some problems gracefully handling dropped packets (newer versions of the libraries are very different implementations and are not easy to migrate to).  The first thing I'll probably want to do is to add my own packet-dropping detection code on top of the Microsoft library code so that we can try to confirm the hypothesis; if this is the problem, I may be able to write my own data re-send request.  If anyone else is having similar problems with TCP/IP crashes, please post a report in one of the ongoing threads; so far, only a few people have reported these problems, and I don't have a good sense of how ubiquitous this problem is in TCP/IP play.

(in reply to Call Me Earl)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Next Patch ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI