Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Will these Items be addressed!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Will these Items be addressed! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will these Items be addressed! - 1/16/2007 8:39:15 AM   
pad152

Will these items be addressed!

There are a couple of thing that always drove me nuts with the close combat series and never seemed to be addressed by the developers.

1. Tank Dance (pathfinding) - where your tank would always backup before it goes foward when you tried to move a tank a little bit forward.

2. Load units - will you be able to load/unload AT/INF guns or infrantry?

Post #: 1
RE: Will these Items be addressed! - 1/16/2007 9:57:28 AM   
Marc von Martial

1. Yes it is improved.
2. Nope, not in this release

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 2
RE: Will these Items be addressed! - 2/5/2007 5:18:16 PM   
Wilco

I had some issues with the line of sight in cc3, for example, i could see enemy infantry sitting in their foxholes. And when they came out and crossed open ground, towards my units, they would suddenly dissapear. It seemed inlogical to me. Not sure if other people noticed the same. But anyway, im curious if alterations are/where made to the system used for line of sight.

< Message edited by Wilco -- 2/5/2007 6:01:12 PM >

The sinews of war are not money, but good soldiers!

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 3
RE: Will these Items be addressed! - 2/5/2007 8:18:48 PM   
Beeblebrox

Maybe they moved out of LOS...?

(in reply to Wilco)
Post #: 4
RE: Will these Items be addressed! - 2/7/2007 7:26:23 PM   
Boar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beeblebrox

LOL. Stranger things have happened!

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 5
RE: Will these Items be addressed! - 2/8/2007 11:45:34 AM   
Andrew Williams

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beeblebrox

That happened to me once.

(in reply to Boar)
Post #: 6
RE: Will these Items be addressed! - 2/8/2007 4:32:52 PM   
Wilco

Hehe, no, they didnt move out of LOS. It was a flat map, no houses or other things that could obstruct my view, they came out of their trenches/foxholes towards me and disapeared. No grass either there. But if im the only one having this issue, its no big deal :)

< Message edited by Wilco -- 2/8/2007 4:47:09 PM >

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 7
RE: Will these Items be addressed! - 2/8/2007 5:29:09 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

This is a long shot, but if the troops that had spotted the enemy became "cowered" or otherwise incapacitated, they would have lost sight of the enemy.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Wilco)
Post #: 8
RE: Will these Items be addressed! - 2/8/2007 8:59:35 PM   
Beeblebrox

quote:

This is a long shot, but if the troops that had spotted the enemy became "cowered" or otherwise incapacitated, they would have lost sight of the enemy.
Fair point, and a perfectly rational explanation of the behaviour.

I think it is highly unlikely there is a bug here (though I can't be 100% sure).  CC3 was published by Microsoft, so Quality Control and Testing would probably have been a zillion times better and more thorough than any other publisher... you just have to look at the Production quality and the tiny Patches for CC1, 2, and 3, as compared with 4 and 5.

I don't think this is the case here, but you also have to take into account the quality of the Map Coding.  What you 'see' has nothing to do with what is going on in the engine.  Nothing.  A badly coded map will give you all kinds of stupid/broken situations.  Just because you see a flat field does not mean that the field is flat as far as the engine is concerned, if the Code makes it something completely different, or the LOS file was calculated using a source file that did not match the 'painting'.

But, we can't rule out 100% that there isn't a bug, it's just that I reckon it to be highly unlikely.  Can you tell us what map(s) this happened on?  I wouldn't mind taking a look to see if I can replicate this, out of curiousity...

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 9
RE: Will these Items be addressed! - 2/9/2007 1:08:36 PM   
Wilco

Indeed a very logical explanation PEO. But as far as i remember, this wasnt the case. I do remember that it happened on one map in particular, but i cant recall which one it was. I will try to look it up once i get home (at work now).

The LOS line, the one that turns red if it is obstructed, indicated i could hit that piece of land tho. Maybe the enemy soldiers went to lying position, that way even the most subtle difference in height could make the difference. But i will try to look it up when at home.

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 10
RE: Will these Items be addressed! - 2/11/2007 1:52:00 AM   
Tête de Porc

quote:

Load units - will you be able to load/unload AT/INF guns or infantry?

I actually think Atomic's reason for not including this holds up pretty well. Given the relatively small size of the maps and the short battles, it's more realistic to not have soldiers embark and disembark.

Halftracks in WWII were not combat vehicles or even battlefield taxis in the APC or IFV sense. Their purposes were:

- to give infantry cross-country mobility so they could accompany the tanks
- to allow the infantry to get closer to the artillery barrage before they disembarked, which greatly increased their chances in the attack
- to provide light supporting fire to the infantry after they disembarked

This is not to say that infantry never fought mounted, but it was not standard practice. Since the game starts after the artillery barrage finishes, i.e. when the infantry are already on the objective, allowing them to mount up again is not very realistic and in fact has a potential for misuse. Halftracks in the game are perfectly capable of performing their other task, i.e. giving fire support.

As for transporting guns, hooking them up was no small job either. Remember it's not just the gun that has to be connected to the truck or halftrack, but the ammo and other equipment has to be loaded as well. As a matter of fact I think the rules for manhandling guns are aready on the generous side. Even a small AT gun like the 3,7 cm PaK 36 weighed over 400 kg, and the PaK 40 weighed a whopping 1425 kg!

The real problems for the haltracks in the game are the overavailability of tanks and the super accuracy of mortars. Hopefully they will both be fixed in the new version.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Will these Items be addressed! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI