Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

multiplayer hardship

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support >> multiplayer hardship Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
multiplayer hardship - 2/15/2007 7:19:40 AM   
himmelstoss

Hi guys!

we have the hardest time to get a tcp/ip game rollin. we turned all our fire walls off used the given in game ip's and our own given by the pc config, we went step by step as the manual says...but darnet after an hour of fing around : nothing!

so we wonder what do we do wrong here?

any ideas gentleman?

thx,

himmelstoss

tell it like you think it is!

Post #: 1
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/15/2007 8:56:38 AM   
Andrew Williams

First

Make sure your Firewall is allowing CoI to access the internet

CoI Ports

make sure they are forwarded to your internal IP on the pC you are playing CoI on.

2300 to 2400 udp/TCP
6073 TCP
47624 TCP

(in reply to himmelstoss)
Post #: 2
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/15/2007 5:39:08 PM   
himmelstoss

hey schrecken!

yes as i mentioned, the firewalls where off on both ends and also tried it with exceptions allowed option with fire walls up. but nothing! In windows firewall i can't figure out how to manipulate the ports for certain games manually. when ever i go into configure it just shows : Name, Port. when i followed your post schrecken, i did not know what exact name to put in and the ports suggested by you where not taken with the message: unfamiliar whatever...

any other ideas gentleman?

thx for fast reply schrecken (hope that some of the support staff will actually jump in ).

greetings,

himmelstoss

< Message edited by himmelstoss -- 2/15/2007 5:53:03 PM >

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 3
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/15/2007 10:45:55 PM   
RD_Roach

If you have a Router,turn off all other firewalls ,Windows/Nortons/McAFee or whatever you have,just use the router firewall,if you dont have a Router,try turning down the security settings in Nortons or what ever program you have.

quote:

used the given in game ip's and our own given by the pc config, we went step by step as the manual says...but darnet

If your playing through a router the IP# showing up in the *Game* is not the one you need to use.Routers create internal IP#(s) If your playing through a router this internal IP# will show up in the game. If playing through a router,you need to use your External IP#,this can be found under devices in your router configuration,the router calls this the *wan ip*.

CC greatest game ever!

http://www.reddevilscc.com

Post #: 4
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/16/2007 1:48:41 AM   
himmelstoss

no..no aaa...nd, no. lets see here...i have nothing on at all, no firewall, norten or what not. no router either.

thx though for ur reply Roach!

still hoping for some support staff help here, but i guess its not important enough (at least the single player works).

himmelstoss

< Message edited by himmelstoss -- 2/16/2007 2:02:54 AM >

(in reply to RD_Roach)
Post #: 5
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/16/2007 2:28:34 AM   
Andrew Williams

This has been a issue for me ever since i installed a modem/router.At first i couldnt even join a game using the games TCP.The reason was i had to many firewalls running,Windows and Nortons on one PC,and Windows and McaFee on my other. I found out that i needed to turn these firewalls off,as information was passing through 3 firewalls before it was transferred to others or vice versa,in short,it was causeing major lag.Once i turned them off,i was able to join a game. Now my Router is the only firewall i have running.

I also didnt have my Router set up properly,after doing some research,I found that not only did i not have the proper ports opened,but i also hadnt selected the proper redirection IP#.

I just got my game to run properly in the last couple of days,by doing this.

To play through the games TCP/UDP,you must have these ports opened.

3782-3783
2300-2400
Some Router,s require you to write this line twice for each port# once under TCP and once for UDP,some Routers have a drop down box allowing you to do both TCP/UDP under one line.Both TCP/UDP need to be writen.

Running a Modem/Router,with 2 or more PC,s( Iam running 2) This can create more problems if not set up properly. When you have a Router,it sets up a internal IP # for each PC you have connected to it,when opening the ports #(the ones above) you must make sure you select the proper IP# in the *redirection* line in the Port manager(this is found in same place you add port#) For example, my 2 internal IP#s are 192.168.2.10 and 192.168.2.11 I play CC on my older PC,the first IP# is for my older PC,the other is for my new PC. I had the proper ports opened,but i had the wrong IP# in the redirection box,once i changed the redirection to 192.168.2.10,i was able to play as either the joiner or host.

This internal IP# 192.168.2.10,will show up as the IP# you need to send to your opponent,when playing the ingame multiplayer TCP,this however is not the IP# you need to use,you need to use your external IP#.This can be found in your Router under Devices,My external IP# is 74.13.***.***.The Router calls this the WAN IP.

thanks Roachy

< Message edited by schrecken -- 2/16/2007 2:42:14 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/16/2007 2:34:51 AM   
Andrew Williams

Create a rule then a apply it on my D-Link router

Post #: 7
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/16/2007 2:53:10 AM   
himmelstoss

i must be in some kind of lynchian time space continuum!

I HAVE NO ROUTER AND I DO NOT HAVE ANY FIREWALL ON.

thx anyhow hope your guyses tips help someone else.

oh and thx to the support staff of the game for helping me as well, not! (guess they got my money and ran, hehe)

himmelstoss

Post #: 8
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/16/2007 3:01:45 AM   
Andrew Williams

How do you connect to the internet?

Post #: 9
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/16/2007 3:11:39 AM   
RD_Roach

Iam guessing here,but if He is not behind any firewalls/router..then Something is missing or not configured properly.

Post #: 10
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/16/2007 3:23:16 AM   
Erik Rutins

Himmelstoss,

We're not ignoring you, you just posted this question today.

The info that I would give you unfortunately has already been provided by others. Multiplayer does work, but there are a billion different configurations for networks and personal computers out there, so apart from giving you the info on what the game needs, I don't know what else we could do without sending someone to personally configure your network.

There has to be _something_ that is still interfering and if you are absolutely certain your PC is fine, then it must be on your opponent's PC. Turn off all background applications, triple check to make sure you are using the correct (external) IPs, try to ping each other's IP to make sure that you are getting through on the most basic TCP/IP level. Run a traceroute if not to see where it stops.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to RD_Roach)
Post #: 11
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/16/2007 3:54:09 AM   
himmelstoss

ok, thx Erik!

i will keep on trying.

thx much,

himmelstoss

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 12
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/17/2007 2:54:51 AM   
k9mike

Exactly! I have found no way to get connected. This is BS. This game is like 10 years old, and I paid alot of money for this old game, that cant even work in multi. Should have just saved my money for upcoming TOW. What a waste....
quote:

ORIGINAL: himmelstoss

i must be in some kind of lynchian time space continuum!

thx anyhow hope your guyses tips help someone else.

oh and thx to the support staff of the game for helping me as well, not! (guess they got my money and ran, hehe)

himmelstoss

Post #: 13
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/17/2007 2:57:31 AM   
Erik Rutins

k9mike,

What problems are you having? Have you posted here about them yet?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to k9mike)
Post #: 14
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/17/2007 3:01:01 AM   
e_barkmann

well, you'll have the same problem with TOW if you don't understand how NAT and port forwarding works, so now would be a good time to troubleshoot your connection.

It really is as simple as making sure you have forwarded the right ports and checking you don't have other applications/hardware appliances blocking the ingress of traffic to those ports.

I'm PIATpunk in BHQ and I'd be happy to help troubleshoot so if you see me there please ask.

cheers

< Message edited by Chris Merchant -- 2/17/2007 3:18:53 AM >

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to k9mike)
Post #: 15
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/17/2007 3:04:02 AM   
e_barkmann

sorry double post

< Message edited by Chris Merchant -- 2/17/2007 3:19:14 AM >

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 16
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/17/2007 10:48:40 PM   
k9mike

Chris, This is the first time I have had this much problems with a game in multiplayer. I have been gaming awhile and this is very frustrating. I went ahead and disconnected my router, and will try without it, as I really dont need my router that much anyway. But, still this is something that I have never experienced before. Usually when something is launched it automatically references whether to accept it or not, and then it will work normally from then on. We will see how it works no without router. Thanks for the replies.
Mike

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 17
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/17/2007 11:41:18 PM   
Beeblebrox

On the whole, I hate Routers, and until they change the technology, we will just have to live with them.  Unfortunately, they are not the only culprits when it comes to Networking.  Some players are able to connect straight off the bat, and wonder why others cannot.  I have had the situation in the past with one ISP where I could not get a H2H connection - period.  This changed when I changed ISP/Router etc, but I still had to configure the Router and Firewalls to make it work.

I guess one day Connectivity will resolve to a single unified (or at least transparent) interface where all applications work straight off the bat.

We made no chages to the Multiplayer Code as it never made it to the Project shortlist.  It definately works, so it isn't broken.  However, we will do whatever we can when we consider the specifications on future releases (it is unlikely that anything will be done with any re-releases).

Having been someone who has had big problems getting H2H to work with Cable/Broadband type connections (never had any problems with Dial Up Modem!...), I do empathise...

(in reply to k9mike)
Post #: 18
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/17/2007 11:51:12 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: k9mike

Chris, This is the first time I have had this much problems with a game in multiplayer. I have been gaming awhile and this is very frustrating. I went ahead and disconnected my router, and will try without it, as I really dont need my router that much anyway. But, still this is something that I have never experienced before. Usually when something is launched it automatically references whether to accept it or not, and then it will work normally from then on. We will see how it works no without router. Thanks for the replies.
Mike

Questions...

What sort of hardware and network setup do you have?

What sort of software environment do you have, (anti-virus, software-firewall, direct-x, etc.,)?

Which type of connection are you trying to establish, BattleHQ, CCMM3 or a simple IP connection through the game?

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to k9mike)
Post #: 19
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/17/2007 11:59:31 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beeblebrox

On the whole, I hate Routers, and until they change the technology, we will just have to live with them. Unfortunately, they are not the only culprits when it comes to Networking. Some players are able to connect straight off the bat, and wonder why others cannot. I have had the situation in the past with one ISP where I could not get a H2H connection - period. This changed when I changed ISP/Router etc, but I still had to configure the Router and Firewalls to make it work.

I guess one day Connectivity will resolve to a single unified (or at least transparent) interface where all applications work straight off the bat.

We made no chages to the Multiplayer Code as it never made it to the Project shortlist. It definately works, so it isn't broken. However, we will do whatever we can when we consider the specifications on future releases (it is unlikely that anything will be done with any re-releases).

Having been someone who has had big problems getting H2H to work with Cable/Broadband type connections (never had any problems with Dial Up Modem!...), I do empathise...

Completely true on all counts.

In particular, there are some routers that are not gonna allow you to run any game that requires port-forwarding because they do not support that technology. Many of today's games will allow users to connect to a server and play without messing with ports, but ones based on DX7-8 Direct Play won't.

I'm afraid that all that those of us can do for those that are struggling is provide them with technical scenarios that we know DO WORK.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 20
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/18/2007 1:18:47 AM   
Beeblebrox

quote:

I'm afraid that all that those of us can do for those that are struggling is provide them with technical scenarios that we know DO WORK.
Amen bro'...

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 21
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/20/2007 1:06:08 AM   
himmelstoss

after a week of fing around with the ports and all that bollocks, we finally give up!

very sad indeed that multiplayer even in a vamped up older game can not be as easy as 1-2-3 and this is the year 2007!

well like i said i guess $40 bucks isn’t all that bad for a single player game nowadays, lol.

See ya wouldn’t wana be ya, (don’t know why i just wrote that)

himmelstoss

< Message edited by himmelstoss -- 2/20/2007 1:20:56 AM >

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 22
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/20/2007 4:45:27 AM   
Andrew Williams

himmelstoss

Airport is a wireless router.

http://www.macworld.com/2002/07/reviews/routers/

will try and find more info

might help

http://www.ncsu.edu/resnet/wireless/apple/apple_airport_extreme.php

< Message edited by schrecken -- 2/20/2007 5:01:10 AM >

Post #: 23
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/21/2007 11:27:32 AM   
Anew

I'd hoped to have a go at multiplayer last night, but no joy. :(

Basically, on entering the multiplayer menu in CC3, the TCP/IP-button is greyed out, and I can't click on anything but "back" and "options" (if I remember correctly).

Running Vista Ultimate RC1 with CC3 in Win 98/ME compatibility mode. Windows FW is off. This isn't the only problem I've got - basically nothing is working as advertised, but I can at least play the game in single player mode. I'm guessing Vista Ultimate RC1 is the culprit, but it would be nice to have this confirmed. I've got an old P3 w/XP on it, and I'll try installing there when I have the time, but I'd much rather play on my "main" computer.

I doubt it's down to an improperly configured router, since I've played Direct Play games before (though not recently) and know how to do it, and I don't suppose the game would "know" the router wasn't configuerd, and grey out the button.

Thoughts?

< Message edited by Anew -- 2/21/2007 12:49:14 PM >

Post #: 24
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/21/2007 12:23:40 PM   
Andrew Williams

How to port forward on your Apple Airport ROUTER

http://www.haxial.com/faq/routerconfig/airport/

quote:

stop saying you don't have a router.... you just need to configure it!

< Message edited by schrecken -- 2/21/2007 12:37:58 PM >

(in reply to Anew)
Post #: 25
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/21/2007 2:29:58 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anew

I'd hoped to have a go at multiplayer last night, but no joy. :(

Basically, on entering the multiplayer menu in CC3, the TCP/IP-button is greyed out, and I can't click on anything but "back" and "options" (if I remember correctly).

Running Vista Ultimate RC1 with CC3 in Win 98/ME compatibility mode. Windows FW is off. This isn't the only problem I've got - basically nothing is working as advertised, but I can at least play the game in single player mode. I'm guessing Vista Ultimate RC1 is the culprit, but it would be nice to have this confirmed. I've got an old P3 w/XP on it, and I'll try installing there when I have the time, but I'd much rather play on my "main" computer.

I doubt it's down to an improperly configured router, since I've played Direct Play games before (though not recently) and know how to do it, and I don't suppose the game would "know" the router wasn't configuerd, and grey out the button.

Thoughts?

Just goes to prove VISTA SUKS yah shoulda stayed with XP or ME or 98se...you fell for barnum and bailey's "fools born every minute" section when you got Vista so soon after it's release. It won't be worth using for 2 or 3 more years.

(in reply to Anew)
Post #: 26
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/21/2007 3:08:51 PM   
Anew

Considering I got Vista for free (yes, I realise I paid with my willigness to betatest) 6 months prior to its release, I don't think I was suckered, just curious... ;) That's why I stress that I'm talking about RC1, not a retail copy of Vista. It may be an important distinction.

< Message edited by Anew -- 2/21/2007 3:30:01 PM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 27
RE: multiplayer hardship - 2/21/2007 3:22:18 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anew

Please note that Vista is NOT on the supported OS list. Some folks have it working, but we are still testing it here and that's the release version, not RC1.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Anew)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support >> multiplayer hardship Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI