Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Oh wise forum, I ask of you information...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 2:53:54 PM   
Ron Saueracker

Am about to buy a laptop and I would rather not make mistakes due to my ignorance. What would you folks recommend or vehemently stear me clear of? I like to think of myself as an avaerage PC user so I'm not about to blow a fortune...maybe 1500.00 max. Thanks guys.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
Post #: 1
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 3:03:45 PM   
USSAmerica

Ron, I use an IBM Thinkpad T60p.  (One perk of my job)  I know it is a bit pricey, but there are different models available in your price range.  I LOVE the Thinkpad line.  Been using them for 5 years.  Still the same quality with the Lenovo name stuck on it. 

One caution for any laptop:  Back up your hard drive regularly!  It seems like hard drive problems are the biggest issue with any brand or model. 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 2
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 3:04:11 PM   
patrickl

Hi,

I just bought 2 Fujitsu laptops C1410 (SGD2,000 each) - 1 Gb ram and Centrino - very reasonably priced and come with 3 years warranty. These are made in Japan so there should be some quality there. Gave up on Acer, Compaq. You could check on Amazon to get reviews. HP is also also worth looking at but Sony are very expensive.

Pat

Banner designed by rogueusmc

Post #: 3
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 4:04:25 PM   
jwilkerson

Ron,

For me, whether buying 1000 laptops for my company or one for myself, the factors are reliability and supportability.

(1) Strong hinges. The hinges of laptops (where the display connects to the main body) are a key point of vulnerability. Some laptops use plastic parts here others use metal (like titanium). If you are really going to be traveling, moving your laptop about (the reason one gets a laptop), then those strong hinges are a good idea.

(2) Display Back. Which is also the "top" of the laptop when it is closed up. Some have this as thin plastic, some have it a metal. I've seen lots of laptops turned in (to my corporate IT helpdesk) with "holes" in the back of the display (I guess people like to punch on their laptops !).

(3) Latches. Yes, the little latches on the front on the laptop that secure the display in the down position. One is better than two. Or one large wide one, is better than one little fragile one. These parts break a lot.

Other than that, keyboards get dirty and break and peripherals, like DVD drives, stop working.

So you want a robust machine that isn't likely to break. And when it does, you want some kind of organization who can fix it, without too much pain (outage time) for yourself.

My last two home laptops for me have been DELLS, both have had problems, too many problems if you ask me. But they did offer more features for the $$ which is why I went that way. But when I had a display outage which meant I had to switch to my wife's laptop temporarily to travel, DELL did send someone to my house within 3 days to replace the display. So the "home serve" does work Thiugh not within the promised 1 business day window).

But the last laptop I bought for my wife, was a TOSH and we bought the service plan from the local dealer. Can't say how good their service is, because we haven't had to use it yet. But I think this means, that instead of buying DELL next time for me, that I will "retreat to quality" and buy maybe a TOSH for me. But I would definitely consider IBM thinkpad. They have all three of the (1), (2), (3) points above .. they are the "fortresses" for laptops. Of course, you have to pay extra for that.

But then it comes down (as it always does) to what you are looking for. If, for a home unit, you are looking to maximum features (CPU Speed, Memory, Harddrive) at a low cost, and will only occasionally be moving your laptop out of the hosue, then DELL might be the best choice, though I'd still get the "Home Service" option. Whereas, if you will be using the laptop for regular travel (business or otherwise) then either IBM or TOSH might be a better choice because they might withstand the rigors of the road better. I've also heard that one guy with an HP/HP is having a good run.

But whatever you decide, I'd suggest some kind of "maintenance" plan with either home or in town service. Packing your laptop to ship it out of town, for maybe a month doesn't leave you with a lot of options. If you can borrow a laptop "for a month" (to replace one in repair) then maybe you can borrow it for longer and avoid buying one altogether!

Good luck with your shopping.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

Post #: 4
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 4:16:26 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Am about to buy a laptop and I would rather not make mistakes due to my ignorance. What would you folks recommend or vehemently stear me clear of? I like to think of myself as an avaerage PC user so I'm not about to blow a fortune...maybe 1500.00 max. Thanks guys.

I use a MacBook Pro. I run Windows using both Parallels Desktop and Bootcamp.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

Post #: 5
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 4:25:31 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Ron,

For me, whether buying 1000 laptops for my company or one for myself, the factors are reliability and supportability.

(1) Strong hinges. The hinges of laptops (where the display connects to the main body) are a key point of vulnerability. Some laptops use plastic parts here others use metal (like titanium). If you are really going to be traveling, moving your laptop about (the reason one gets a laptop), then those strong hinges are a good idea.

(2) Display Back. Which is also the "top" of the laptop when it is closed up. Some have this as thin plastic, some have it a metal. I've seen lots of laptops turned in (to my corporate IT helpdesk) with "holes" in the back of the display (I guess people like to punch on their laptops !).

(3) Latches. Yes, the little latches on the front on the laptop that secure the display in the down position. One is better than two. Or one large wide one, is better than one little fragile one. These parts break a lot.

Other than that, keyboards get dirty and break and peripherals, like DVD drives, stop working.

So you want a robust machine that isn't likely to break. And when it does, you want some kind of organization who can fix it, without too much pain (outage time) for yourself.

My last two home laptops for me have been DELLS, both have had problems, too many problems if you ask me. But they did offer more features for the $$ which is why I went that way. But when I had a display outage which meant I had to switch to my wife's laptop temporarily to travel, DELL did send someone to my house within 3 days to replace the display. So the "home serve" does work Thiugh not within the promised 1 business day window).

But the last laptop I bought for my wife, was a TOSH and we bought the service plan from the local dealer. Can't say how good their service is, because we haven't had to use it yet. But I think this means, that instead of buying DELL next time for me, that I will "retreat to quality" and buy maybe a TOSH for me. But I would definitely consider IBM thinkpad. They have all three of the (1), (2), (3) points above .. they are the "fortresses" for laptops. Of course, you have to pay extra for that.

But then it comes down (as it always does) to what you are looking for. If, for a home unit, you are looking to maximum features (CPU Speed, Memory, Harddrive) at a low cost, and will only occasionally be moving your laptop out of the hosue, then DELL might be the best choice, though I'd still get the "Home Service" option. Whereas, if you will be using the laptop for regular travel (business or otherwise) then either IBM or TOSH might be a better choice because they might withstand the rigors of the road better. I've also heard that one guy with an HP/HP is having a good run.

But whatever you decide, I'd suggest some kind of "maintenance" plan with either home or in town service. Packing your laptop to ship it out of town, for maybe a month doesn't leave you with a lot of options. If you can borrow a laptop "for a month" (to replace one in repair) then maybe you can borrow it for longer and avoid buying one altogether!

Good luck with your shopping.

I suppose I can disregard many service warranties given I'll be on a wee Greek island.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 6
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 4:37:09 PM   
BrucePowers

When is that move occurring. I thought maybe you had left already. Then you mentioned the heart thing. I hope you are okay.

Post #: 7
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 5:06:05 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

I suppose I can disregard many service warranties given I'll be on a wee Greek island.

Then you might wanna wait until you get there. Talk to the locals and find out who "the guy" is who fixes laptops and then go see him. Unless you're going to "fix it yourself" (which I do for my desktops, but not nearly so much for my laptops) then finding the local support team is a good idea. And even having them involved in your "purchase" is a good idea. Because then it is already partly "their" problem to fix it for you, because they are "involved"!

< Message edited by jwilkerson -- 3/2/2007 5:20:58 PM >

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

Post #: 8
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 6:10:55 PM   
TheTomDude

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

Then you might wanna wait until you get there. Talk to the locals and find out who "the guy" is who fixes laptops and then go see him. Unless you're going to "fix it yourself" (which I do for my desktops, but not nearly so much for my laptops) then finding the local support team is a good idea. And even having them involved in your "purchase" is a good idea. Because then it is already partly "their" problem to fix it for you, because they are "involved"!

Hrhr what a clever little move. Have your problem be someone elses problem right from the beginning. He just has to be obliging enough.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 9
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 6:21:15 PM   
niceguy2005

Hi Ron,

The only thing I would add is, where laptops are concerned I would think twice before going with a Dell again. My Dell has a couple of major design flaws. I have worked around them all, but it has been a little frustrating.

The other thing I have learned the hardway is make sure what you want is a laptop. It works for me because I run office applications and play games that aren't sophisticated graphically. However, if you want to run graphically sophisticted games you will either want a desktop or a high end laptop with state of the art graphics capability (very hard to find and expensive). I bought a game at the beginning of the year that I can't play on my 2 year old laptop because it simply doesn't have the graphics capability. I can't upgrade the graphics card either because it is built in to the motherboard, so if buying a laptop make sure it has everything you want upfront...upgrading is difficult and expensive.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to TheTomDude)
Post #: 10
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 6:43:04 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

When is that move occurring. I thought maybe you had left already. Then you mentioned the heart thing. I hope you are okay.

Had an episode a few years back and I get tested regularily. Been through a battery just a month or so ago. A big concern but I'm not going to let it dictate terms any more than I have to. Greece will be good for my health when I get there...just sorting out my trip now....freighter to Salerno.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 11
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 6:47:12 PM   
Ron Saueracker

Maybe I'll just buy a relatively cheap laptop for internet usage and paperwork and buy a desktop over there. Sounds like the general idea I guess.

Post #: 12
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 6:52:31 PM   
wworld7

quote:

Maybe I'll just buy a relatively cheap laptop for internet usage and paperwork and buy a desktop over there. Sounds like the general idea I guess.

Ron,

I think you hit upon a good plan here.

Best wishes for your health.

Flipper

Post #: 13
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 6:59:50 PM   
bradfordkay

Ron, I bought a fairly inexpensive laptop (HP) a few years ago for one reason: so that I could play WITP while travelling. The unit has a metal case and has held up well, except for the DVD failing. One of these days I'll replace the DVD drive, but since I already have WITP, UV and WPO installed - I don't really need it for my gaming reasons...

It does not replace my desktop, which I am much more comfortable working on (that is, perfoming repairs myself).

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 14
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 7:01:22 PM   
Procrustes

I've had a couple of Sony's that I really liked, though they are a little pricier than the Dell's.  I've had a Dell laptop, and have seen hundreds used by other folks.  You can get the same features as other laptops for a little less money, though I always liked the "feel" of the Sony better.  In the past I've had Compaqs and IBM's - I was very unhappy with both, but that was quite a while ago.  The Dell's are easier to service yourself.  Most of my laptop seems to crap out after about 3 years - hard drives especially for some reason - but I use them hard.  A couple of people I work with have Apple laptops that look great - I would get one myself but I run a lot of specialized software that I don't want to test on a Mac.

I'm shopping for another one right now - my last Sony is terminal.  I'm probably going to get a Dell as I get an additional discount through my employer.

Best,

Post #: 15
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 7:01:55 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

quote:

Ron,

I think you hit upon a good plan here.

Best wishes for your health.

Flipper

That does sound like a good plan, if you like video intensive games, etc. One more note to keep in mind...WitP runs fantastic on my laptop!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 16
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 7:20:31 PM   
Ron Saueracker

And I just got the contact number for the computer store on the island, turns out it is a mate of mine's best friend. Sounds like I'll do OK. Thanks for all your help.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 17
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 7:58:34 PM   
Herrbear

quote:

And I just got the contact number for the computer store on the island, turns out it is a mate of mine's best friend. Sounds like I'll do OK. Thanks for all your help.

Good luck with your move.

Post #: 18
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 8:19:27 PM   
panda124c

quote:

I'd like to have your Dell account, "Hey boss I got a service call to do see you next week, I'll drop by Travel and pickup my tickets, Na, it's not a long trip, just to some little old Greek island."

Post #: 19
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/2/2007 11:59:47 PM   
FAdmiral

I will be buying a laptop this year myself. The one I will buy must have
certain features vs. price and although they are getting better and cheaper
all the time, my exact pick is not available as of yet.
17" screen
2 gig of ram
PCIE motherboard
core 2 cpu (either make)
wireless internet
and the most important of ALL:
its own video card (min 256)
Sometime this year, I will find it for about $1000.

JIM

(in reply to panda124c)
Post #: 20
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/3/2007 12:20:58 AM   
marky

DELL XPS laptop has good ratings, tho a bit more expensive, has good battery life

(in reply to FAdmiral)
Post #: 21
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/3/2007 12:29:05 AM   
1EyedJacks

quote:

Dell, Gateway, Sony - any name brand with extended warranty (3 years). Talk with sales reps to ensure tech support from where you'll B living. Get the most RAM you can for your PC and perferably a duo processor. Live large - get a 2nd monitor.

If you aren't tech enough to fix software/hardware problems (and many computer users are in that boat so don't sweat it) make sure you have good support.

That my 2 cents.

TTFN,

Mike

Post #: 22
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/3/2007 12:45:58 AM   
marky

id stayaway from gateway tho i hated em

yuckyz

Sony VAIOs seem neat tho

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 23
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/3/2007 1:56:26 AM   
Titanwarrior89

I would second that on the upgrades with laptops.
quote:

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

Hi Ron,

The only thing I would add is, where laptops are concerned I would think twice before going with a Dell again. My Dell has a couple of major design flaws. I have worked around them all, but it has been a little frustrating.

The other thing I have learned the hardway is make sure what you want is a laptop. It works for me because I run office applications and play games that aren't sophisticated graphically. However, if you want to run graphically sophisticted games you will either want a desktop or a high end laptop with state of the art graphics capability (very hard to find and expensive). I bought a game at the beginning of the year that I can't play on my 2 year old laptop because it simply doesn't have the graphics capability. I can't upgrade the graphics card either because it is built in to the motherboard, so if buying a laptop make sure it has everything you want upfront...upgrading is difficult and expensive.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 24
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/3/2007 2:32:05 AM   
1EyedJacks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

I would second that on the upgrades with laptops.
quote:

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

Hi Ron,

Actually - with Vista the new Operating System (OS) - graphics is really not a problem. Vista requires a high-end card. RAM tho - that'll B really important. Niceguy2005 is right tho - plan what you want to do with your PC and buy accordingly. I use Gateways exclusively @ work - I find them 2 B very good computers. I've friends that swear by Sony and Dell. So I say shop around and get the best bang for the buck. Get the warranty tho - that's one of the top 5 most important things to research when picking up a new PC. Buy one that will meet your needs over-the-top. The new OS will come out with an SP1 and then an SP2 - it's tradition <grin>. Many people buy computers and figure they have a 3 year life-cycle. I believe you buy just below bleeding-edge and then keep the PC for the life-cycle of the OS.

Let's say you have no life because you spend it in dark rooms playing WITP for 4 hours a day (which, from reading this forum would be classified as a light-weight gamer).

365 X 4 hours = 1460 hours X 3 years = 4,380 hours. If you value your "entertainment" @ $1/hour you can help sooth your concious by purchasing a very nice laptop with additional monitor.

Did I mention that lotsa RAM is a good idea? Like 2g @ a minimum?

TTFN,

Mike

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 25
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/3/2007 5:12:16 AM   
Admiral DadMan

I've had good luck with Toshiba Satellites and Sony Vaios. I'm not amused with the 2 compaqs I've had though.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 26
RE: Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... - 3/3/2007 6:07:02 AM   
bradfordkay

Ron, if you're taking a freighter from Canada (port of Toronto?) to Greece, you'll definitely want to get yourself a laptop - and ask the shipping company what kind of adapter you'll need to power it (you'll need one for the Greek electrical system as well, I'm sure).

You're talking about at least a week with no WITP, on a ship in the middle of the atlantic ocean with nothing to do but entertain the greek sailors. Sounds like a good reason to have a laptop so you can lock yourself safely in your cabin and play WITP all the way across the ocean...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Oh wise forum, I ask of you information... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI