Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Brig Gen James Conner

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Brig Gen James Conner Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brig Gen James Conner - 4/11/2007 6:45:48 AM   
shenandoah

Brig Gen James Conner (b.1829 – d.1883) On Sept. 1, 1829, he was born in Charleston, South Carolina. South Carolina College is where he graduated in 1849. He passed the bar examine and began to practice law in 1852. United States District Attorney became his next occupation in 1856. Before South Carolina’s succession, he resigned as US Dist. Attorney in 1860. He was appointed Confederate States Attorney but chose the military instead. Captain of the Montgomery Guards is how he started his military career and was present in Charleston during the bombardment of Fort Sumter. In May 1861, he was Captain of Company A, Washington Light Infantry, Hampton’s Legion. At the battle of 1st Manassas, he arrived by train the day of the battle with the Legion and fought to delay the Union advance after the South’s withdrawal from Matthews Hill. Conner also charged with the Legion on Ricketts Battery on Henry House Hill. The promotion to Major was given to him for the battle. In 1862, he was in battles of Yorktown, New Stones Point, West Point, Seven Pines and during the early fighting of the Seven Days Battle, he was injuryed in the leg. In June, he became Colonel of the 22nd North Carolina Infantry Regiment. During his recovery, he was appointed as one of the military court judges in the Second Corp. Once he was healed, he joined in the battle of Chancellorsville. At Gettsysburg, he was part of the 3rd Corps, Major General William D. Pender’s Division, Brigadier General Alfred M. Scales’ Brigade and was is in the fighting on Seminary Ridge and Pickett’s Charge. Before the battle of Petersburg, he was appointed Brig. Gen. on June 1, 1864 and then later given command of Major General Joseph B. Kershaw’s brigade. He commanded his brigade in the battles of Petersburg, Jerusalem Plank Road and Reams’ Station. In August of 1864, Conner went to the Shenandoah Valley when Kershaw’s Division was sent to support Major General Jubal Early. During the battle of Cedar Creek on Oct 19, 1864, he was wounded in the same leg that he had injured during the Seven Days Battle of 1862. The injury resulted in the amputation of his leg. After the war, he began practicing law again in South Carolina. In 1876, he was elected attorney general for South Carolina on a ticket with Gen. Hampton, whom became governor. On June 26, 1883, he died in Richmond, Virginia. His grave is located in the Magnolia Cemetery in Charleston, South Carolina.

In the last days of the war, he was promoted to major gen. Commission was made out, forwarded and never reached him. All sources that I found on him referred to brig gen conner.

Also when he was in command of Kershaw's brigade from south carolin, he was well liked by the men. I added this note just in case it makes a difference in his ratings.
Post #: 1
RE: Brig Gen James Conner - 4/11/2007 6:57:53 AM   
Gil R.

Got it. Thanks.

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 2
RE: Brig Gen James Conner - 4/17/2007 7:22:30 AM   
Gil R.

Here’s the Conner bio. I rewrote the beginning a little, but otherwise it’s pretty much the same. I did add the info you provided me about his non-promotion promotion to major general.

Brig. Gen. James Conner (b. 1829, d. 1883). On September 1, 1829, Conner was born in Charleston, South Carolina. Graduating from South Carolina College in 1849, he passed the bar examine and began to practice law in 1852. Conner became a U.S. District Attorney in 1856, an office he held until resigning in 1860 just before South Carolina’s secession. He was appointed Confederate States Attorney, but chose the military instead. Beginning his military career as Captain of the Montgomery Guards, Conner was present in Charleston during the bombardment of Fort Sumter. In May 1861, he became Captain of Company A, Washington Light Infantry, Hampton’s Legion. On the day of the Battle of First Manassas, this famous regiment arrived by train and fought to delay the Union advance after the South’s withdrawal from Matthews Hill, and later in the day charged Capt. James B. Ricketts’ Battery on Henry Hill. For his performance in the battle, Conner was promoted to major. In 1862, he participated in the battles of Yorktown, New Stones Point, West Point, Seven Pines, and was injured in the leg during the early fighting of the Seven Days’ Battles. In June, Conner became Colonel of the 22nd North Carolina Infantry Regiment. During his recovery, he was appointed as one of the military court judges in the II Corps. Having regained his health, Conner fought at Chancellorsville in May 1863. At the Battle of Gettysburg, his regiment served in Brig. Gen. Alfred M. Scales’ brigade in Maj. Gen. William D. Pender’s Division of III Corps, taking part in the fighting on Seminary Ridge and in Pickett’s Charge. Before the Battle of Petersburg, Conner was appointed a brigadier general on June 1, 1864 and then later given command of Maj. Gen. Joseph B. Kershaw’s brigade, which was mainly comprised of fellow South Carolinians. He commanded this brigade in the battles of Petersburg, Jerusalem Plank Road and Reams’ Station. In August 1864, Conner went to the Shenandoah Valley when Kershaw’s Division was sent to support Maj. Gen. Jubal A. Early’s Shenandoah Valley Campaign. During the Battle of Cedar Creek on October 19, 1864, Conner was wounded in the same leg that he had injured during the Seven Days’ Battles of 1862, resulting in its amputation. As the war was coming to a close, Conner was promoted to major general, but the paperwork was never completed. After the war, Conner began practicing law again in South Carolina. In 1876, he was elected attorney general for South Carolina on a ticket with Confederate Gen. Wade Hampton, who became governor. On June 26, 1883, Conner died in Richmond, and was buried in the Magnolia Cemetery in Charleston. (Bio by Andrew Thayer)

Leadership: 4
Tactical: 4
Initiative: 2
Command: 3
Cavalry:

Teaches: Blasted (15)

Start date: 82

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Brig Gen James Conner Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI