Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Version 3.8.0 playing by itself

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Version 3.8.0 playing by itself Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Version 3.8.0 playing by itself - 5/13/2007 12:39:35 AM   
Flunkie

I'm using H3ANW v.3.8.0 RC11, DB2000, and scenarios written for v.3.6.3.
I am also using the original DB and original scenarios on the CD that came with v.3.7.0.

In both cases above, in every scenario I've played, at some point, the game starts to partially play itself. Task force radars and aircraft radars come on and they start firing missiles at various threats, enemy missiles or aircraft. I don't believe they have ever fired at an enemy land based unit. They have fired on my own tomahawks when these were identified as vampires. They sometimes fire at identified enemy aircraft when they are just out of range.

Is anyone else having this problem with v.3.8.0.? I would like to hear both yes and no answers, and of course, any solution to the problem.

Note: All my Staff Handles options are off.
Post #: 1
RE: Version 3.8.0 playing by itself - 5/13/2007 3:03:43 AM   
TimOusley

Yep, I've had the same problem.  In particular, the Return to Yankee Station and Okinawa scenarios.  It also happens a lot when I have amended a scenario in SE and then play it in regular mode...all my default settings have changed, and sometimes the game will attack blue vampires.  I've noticed another strange behavior in these scenarios also...when I really unload on a red surface group, for some reason just before the missiles hit home, the surface group starts launching torpedoes in addition to their point defenses.  I don't know WHAT the heck that's all about or what causes it.  More than once, playing on EASY to see maybe why this is happening, red side has sunk their own submarine, although this may be happening because of the dice roll and the AI is having trouble with their detections.  And finally, I'm getting messages from air groups on AAW missions just before they bingo out and head for home, that the air group has no orders.  Then they instantly disband the group and head home individually, which is normal behavior.  In previous versions I got no such 'no orders' message.
This is not a priority 1 issue but it's a little annoying. 
You might check your formation editor and see if this behavior stops if you remove all aircraft from the formation and handle your  BG pickets and screens manually.
Tim Ousley

(in reply to Flunkie)
Post #: 2
RE: Version 3.8.0 playing by itself - 5/13/2007 3:49:41 AM   
Flunkie

Tim

You seem to be haveing more problems than I am having. Soon after it starts playing by itself, doing things that I would not do, doing them less effectively that I would do, in an order that I would not do, less efficiently than I would do, I quit the game.

I do consider it a major issue though. Although the game does not takeover playing by itself completely, to me its enough to make the game unplayable. I didn't purchase the game to watch two computer opponents play against each other. (Thats a little bit of an exaggeration.)

I only use the formation editor to form up the ships and sometimes for helicopter ASW zones.

Thank you for your response Tim. I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem.

I hope they get this problem fixed very very soon. Even if they have to put out a patch just for it.

(in reply to TimOusley)
Post #: 3
RE: Version 3.8.0 playing by itself - 5/13/2007 8:47:52 AM   
Flunkie

I am now hearing that this may be a 'feature' of the game. Gees, I hope not. It sure makes a mess of defense most of the time. It has save a plane or two for me when I didn't notice what was going on, but its just not worth it. I can do a far better job and I would like to play the game myself. Not watch the computer play against itself.

(in reply to Flunkie)
Post #: 4
RE: Version 3.8.0 playing by itself - 5/13/2007 5:40:12 PM   
kipallen

Flunkie, when a blue vampire is lost and then reacquired, the game treats it as hostile. You might try going "weapons tight" after a launch for a bit.

(in reply to Flunkie)
Post #: 5
RE: Version 3.8.0 playing by itself - 5/13/2007 8:26:00 PM   
Flunkie

Say Kip

Yes, that is one of the circumstances where the firing of missiles occures. I always play with weapons tight.

But, if I am understanding some of the information that I have been getting, this behavior where radars come on by themselves and missiles fire, is now normal behavior for H3 and not a bug as I thought.

(in reply to kipallen)
Post #: 6
RE: Version 3.8.0 playing by itself - 5/13/2007 9:21:25 PM   
jpkoester1

I don't think this behaviour is new even. I do remember radars coming on by themselves in self-defense situations in the 3.6.x versions.

Cheers,
JP

(in reply to Flunkie)
Post #: 7
RE: Version 3.8.0 playing by itself - 5/13/2007 10:08:23 PM   
Flunkie

Hi JP

I played Harpoon AE for many years and am new to H3. I played H3 with v.3.7 that came on the CD. I partially played more than 20 scenarios, but could never finish any of them because of the many bugs. This behavior where the radars came on by themselves and missiles fired never occured. Maybe it was just another bug in 3.7.

Anyway, when I upgraded to v.3.8., this started happening in every scenario and every DB. I thought it was a bug.

So far, most of the responses I have been getting indicate that this is a behavior built into the game for defensive purposes.

< Message edited by Flunkie -- 5/13/2007 10:11:42 PM >

(in reply to jpkoester1)
Post #: 8
RE: Version 3.8.0 playing by itself - 5/13/2007 10:33:53 PM   
jpkoester1

Do you use missions at all?

Cheers,
JP

(in reply to Flunkie)
Post #: 9
RE: Version 3.8.0 playing by itself - 5/13/2007 11:29:19 PM   
Flunkie

No JP

Since my early Harpoon days I have never liked how the computer handles them. I launch every plane, place every plane, fly every plane, fire every missile, drop every bomb, shoot every torpedo, place enery sonobouy by hand. And any thing else that needs to be done is all done by hand. I never use any missions or patrol areas for anything. The only thing I do is use the formation editor to set helicoptor ASW zones. I am even a little cautious about that since it sometimes starts sending more that one helo to a zone which can sometimes leave me short of helos when I need them. I'm not yet familiar enough with H3 to know if that problem still occurs.

I posted a poll on HHQ asking how others play the game and have gotten some ideas on how they use simple missions and patrols that generally don't cause too much damage or problems and only recently tried a couple of things. I am still experimenting.

< Message edited by Flunkie -- 5/13/2007 11:35:05 PM >

(in reply to jpkoester1)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Version 3.8.0 playing by itself Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI