Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Something those here might be interested in

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Something those here might be interested in Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Something those here might be interested in - 4/26/2007 3:51:32 AM   
Andrew Brown

WitP related news from my home town:

Australia set to score $150m deal for war epic

Some more info:

HBO Films well-armed for 'Pacific'

< Message edited by Andrew Brown -- 4/26/2007 3:54:41 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/26/2007 3:54:54 AM   
m10bob

This will be most excellent!

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 2
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/26/2007 4:10:12 AM   
MineSweeper

Very Cool.....

Post #: 3
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/26/2007 7:17:28 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to MineSweeper)
Post #: 4
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/26/2007 9:44:46 PM   
anarchyintheuk

I wonder if they'll use any usS actors. Looked like Speilberg tried as hard as he could not to in BoB. Anyway, it's easier for brits/aussies to do us accents than the other way around. Ex. 1 - Costner, an american who can't even do american accents.

I'll look forward to watching it.

(in reply to AU Tiger_MatrixForum)
Post #: 5
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/27/2007 12:23:46 AM   
Wolfpack_MatrixForum

I highly recommend EB Sledge's With the Old Breed. A great book. It will be interesting to see what they pull out of that for this mini-series.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 6
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/27/2007 12:28:22 AM   
AmiralLaurent

I also will recommend Sledge's book, I have not the other.

IIRC Basilone died during the war, or maybe I get confused with somebody else.

(in reply to Wolfpack_MatrixForum)
Post #: 7
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/27/2007 2:32:43 AM   
Speedysteve

Cool

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to AmiralLaurent)
Post #: 8
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/27/2007 2:48:50 AM   
Montbrun

quote:

ORIGINAL: AmiralLaurent

I also will recommend Sledge's book, I have not the other.

IIRC Basilone died during the war, or maybe I get confused with somebody else.

http://www.cimorelli.com/pie/heroes/basilone.htm

(in reply to AmiralLaurent)
Post #: 9
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/27/2007 6:13:33 AM   
JeffroK

We got enuff Yanks & rebs here to handle the accents.

It would be interesting to see what its based on, there are some good Marine books, is there an accepted US Army version??

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Montbrun)
Post #: 10
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/28/2007 1:35:57 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

I wonder if they'll use any usS actors. Looked like Speilberg tried as hard as he could not to in BoB. Anyway, it's easier for brits/aussies to do us accents than the other way around. Ex. 1 - Costner, an american who can't even do american accents.

I don't know about that. Aussies and Brits can often do a fair southern accent, but the flat vowels of the rest of the US is more difficult. I have seen few Australians or British actors be able to do a good, non-Southern American accent. One of the very few is Hugh Laurie who plays House MD.

We watch a fair bit of BBC America. Whenever a British actor tries to do an American accent on one of those shows, I get dumb chills (a feeling of embarassment when you see someone else doing something embarassingly bad). In one program, they had a character who was supposed to be a Mafia guy from New York, but he had this bizarre mix of a New York and Chicago accent. It was so bad, it ruined the rest of the program.

Canadians tend to be able to do the flat vowels of the Northern/Midwest/Western accents fairly easily. The American acting community is actually about 1/2 Canadian. About all they need to do is learn how to flatten out the rounded "ou" sound in words like "out".

The English spoken outside of North America has many more rounded vowels than most of this continent. The American South being the exception. Learning to consistently change the way all your vowels are pronounced can be very tough.

Back to the subject at hand, it's cool that there will be a sequel to Band of Brothers. Too bad we don't get HBO. I suppose I can wait until it comes out on DVD.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 11
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/28/2007 5:16:44 AM   
Reg

I think you might be surprised at just how may Aussies have good accents and are actually working in the US. As an example, my wife is currently watching 'Without a Trace' which stars Anthony LaPaglia (born in Adelaide SA) and Poppy Montgomery (from Sydney NSW). I'm sure there are a lot more than this and I'll bet they would love to come home for an opportunity like this.

But I agree with you on the cultural cring of how we represented by overseas media. Most of the Australian characters I've seen in foreign programs are more akin to the Monty Python "Bruces" skit than to any linguists handbook. (Anyone remember that hopelessly clichéd character Brumby in 'JAG' - The name was a clue I suppose....)

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 12
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/28/2007 6:54:35 AM   
Micah Goodman

It was weird watching the actor who played Capt. Winters in Band of Brothers speak in his normal accent after watching the series. When an actor misses an accent it does tend to ruin a show. I laughed when I heard a clip of Rene' Zelwiger play a Brit. Her normal accent crept in and out of her dialog. Some American actors tend to sound like somone imitating Monty Python when they try to do a British accent. If you can't succesfully pull of an accent your better off not even trying. I hope the dialog is better than Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers. SPR was like watching current day actors playing historic figures. I hope they do a minimal amount of research and have the actors use American slang from the 1940's.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 13
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/28/2007 2:16:03 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

I think you might be surprised at just how may Aussies have good accents and are actually working in the US. As an example, my wife is currently watching 'Without a Trace' which stars Anthony LaPaglia (born in Adelaide SA) and Poppy Montgomery (from Sydney NSW). I'm sure there are a lot more than this and I'll bet they would love to come home for an opportunity like this.

But I agree with you on the cultural cring of how we represented by overseas media. Most of the Australian characters I've seen in foreign programs are more akin to the Monty Python "Bruces" skit than to any linguists handbook. (Anyone remember that hopelessly clichéd character Brumby in 'JAG' - The name was a clue I suppose....)

I just looked them up on IMDB. It looks like Poppy Montgomery came to the US when she was 18. I've noticed it's easier to lose your native accent if you are immersed in another culture at 18 or earlier. Something changes in language learning ability around that age. I grew up in a very heavy immigrant neighborhood in Los Angeles. Most of the people I've known who moved to the US and were heavily exposed to the standard American accent before they turned 18 tended to lose most of their native accent. Most who came here after tended to keep their accent.

My wife's father was an exception. He escaped Mexico in the 1931 revolution and settled in Texas at age 11. He still sounded like an intellectual Ricky Ricardo all his life, but he grew up speaking Spanish in Texas in an immigrant community. Of course they didn't have TV then either and his family was too poor to go to the movies. I don't think they listened to the radio much either.

It looks like Anthony LaPaglia moved to the US when he was older. According to IMDB, he did a lot of work trying to get rid of his Australian accent, which he regrets now.

I find the accents of the different dialects of English quite interesting. I went to Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, which was a state school which drew people from all over California. I tuned my ear well enough that I could tell what part of California a person came from by their accent. People found it amazing. The only California accent I can still spot is the Los Angeles accent, but then my mother has it. I've been told I have a very generic American accent, some say Midwestern, though I have lived my whole life on the West Coast.

I live in the Northwest now and this is such a mix of people from all over the US, as well as immigrants that it's tough to find enough natives to spot the small variations within the region.

Bill

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 14
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/28/2007 2:27:25 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

I don't know about that. Aussies and Brits can often do a fair southern accent, but the flat vowels of the rest of the US is more difficult. I have seen few Australians or British actors be able to do a good, non-Southern American accent. One of the very few is Hugh Laurie who plays House MD.

Speaking of which, what accent is that supposed to be? I've tried to figure it out, but I can't...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 15
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/28/2007 2:38:19 PM   
herwin

quote:

I find the accents of the different dialects of English quite interesting. I went to Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, which was a state school which drew people from all over California. I tuned my ear well enough that I could tell what part of California a person came from by their accent. People found it amazing. The only California accent I can still spot is the Los Angeles accent, but then my mother has it. I've been told I have a very generic American accent, some say Midwestern, though I have lived my whole life on the West Coast.

I live in the Northwest now and this is such a mix of people from all over the US, as well as immigrants that it's tough to find enough natives to spot the small variations within the region.

Bill

Do Riverside, San Diego and down-town Los Angeles have different accents? (I was born in Riverside, while my dad and granddad were LA--as might be hinted at by the existance of Erwin Street in Encino and Van Nuys--and my mother was a Chase from San Diego and Riverside--again there's Chase Street and Ethanac Road in the Riverside area.)

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 16
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/28/2007 6:18:35 PM   
Redan

All professionally trained actors, news broadcasters, announcers, etc. are taught what is called Standard American Stage English. There is a standard British Stage English as well. Hugh Laurie is one of the best I've ever heard. His ear is remarkable.

It can be mastered in about a month. At auditions, it is possible to know whether or not someone has theatrical training after listening to them for 10 seconds.

One free trick of the trade: if you want to sound like a west Texas American Cowboy, talk with your teeth together-- never take them apart. It will give you a sort of Xtreme President Bush.

"You can't stack units in this game. This is Tactics II, hexes haven't been invented yet..."

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 17
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/28/2007 10:44:04 PM   
TommyG

Well, it's about time. But some of the stuff in Sledge is hard enough to read, I don't know if the public is ready for slow fat flies over rain soaked and bloated corpses. Most of us WitP guys are "big picture", HQ types. This series will put us in the fox hole. But, Band of Brothers is by far the best war film ever, so I for one can't wait for Hanks and Spielberg to try again.

Post #: 18
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/28/2007 11:02:48 PM   
MarcA

On the HBO site it says "Pacific" will follow the exploits of 3 marines from the intial landings at Guadalcanal to VJ day. This must mean they are from 1st Marine Div. If so, this should mean we can look forward to action at Palau and Okinawa.

And I have just read that the 1st Marine Divisions battle hymn is Waltsing Matilda, from there time refitting in Melbourne. Out Standing.

(in reply to TommyG)
Post #: 19
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/29/2007 1:29:41 AM   
wdolson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus
Speaking of which, what accent is that supposed to be? I've tried to figure it out, but I can't...

He has a Northeastern US accent. I'm not an expert on the region, but I would place it around Northern New Jersey. Northern New Jersey accents are close to New York City accents, while South Jersey is more of a Philidelphia accent. Bruce Willis has a very definite Philidelphia accent.

Since House MD takes place at a hospital in New Jersey, the accent makes sense.

Bill

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/29/2007 1:32:53 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin
Do Riverside, San Diego and down-town Los Angeles have different accents? (I was born in Riverside, while my dad and granddad were LA--as might be hinted at by the existance of Erwin Street in Encino and Van Nuys--and my mother was a Chase from San Diego and Riverside--again there's Chase Street and Ethanac Road in the Riverside area.)

Not sure about Riverside. San Diego's accent is more generic West Coast. The LA accent is sort of more in the back of the throat and has just a hint of Spanish lilt. It sounds to my ear a little lazier than the generic West Coast accent. It probably contributes to the "laid back" Southern California image.

I'm trying to think of a celebrity with the LA accent, but none come to mind at the moment.

Bill

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 21
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/29/2007 9:21:38 AM   
herwin

quote:

quote:

Bill

quote:

Not sure about Riverside. San Diego's accent is more generic West Coast. The LA accent is sort of more in the back of the throat and has just a hint of Spanish lilt. It sounds to my ear a little lazier than the generic West Coast accent. It probably contributes to the "laid back" Southern California image.

I'm trying to think of a celebrity with the LA accent, but none come to mind at the moment.

Bill

It's known as the 'valley' accent.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 22
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/30/2007 8:46:10 PM   
mikemike

We watch a fair bit of BBC America. Whenever a British actor tries to do an American accent on one of those shows, I get dumb chills (a feeling of embarassment when you see someone else doing something embarassingly bad). In one program, they had a character who was supposed to be a Mafia guy from New York, but he had this bizarre mix of a New York and Chicago accent. It was so bad, it ruined the rest of the program.

[/quote]

Dumb chills? Well, at least Aussies/Brits/Canadians/USAmericans all recognizably have English (some form of) as birth language. You just don't know how lucky you are. If you had to listen as native German speakers to what goes as German in Hollywood movies you'd probably get the jumping bejeezas itch. Even in "Private Ryan", there were a number of would-be Germans who spoke "German" with rather severe English accents. Now this is of course not something the average US/English viewer would notice, for them some vaguely prussian-sounding gobble seems to be convincing enough, but just imagine all US soldiers in "Band of Brothers" had spoken English like Inspector Clouseau or one of Peter Sellers' delightful Indians! For some reason, Spanish or Italian don't get mangled so badly, probably too many native speakers in the movie industry.

DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 23
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 4/30/2007 9:04:54 PM   
Big B

quote:

quote:

Bill

"For Sure! Dude!"

As a native So.Cal'er - I can tell you it's not an accent as much as a "dialect"

EDIT:
Anyway, as for "The Pacific"

From the website - some info on the series: http://www.the-pacific-war.com/
quote:

What is the new series about?

The project is going to be spearheaded by Bruce McKenna who was also one of the main writers on BOB1. The name will also NOT be Band of Brothers. It will be simply called THE PACIFIC WAR (or THE PACIFIC) and will not be associated with any of the characters from BOB1. It is rumored that the series will follow a USO troupe who travel the Pacific trying to keep Allied soldiers entertained and morally up beat about the war. By doing this, the writers will be able to interwine through various soldiers and civilians who are caught in the conflict. We'll see the stories of cooks, nurses, pilots, infantry, and many others. Their are rumors that the characters will be much more diverse than before, and therefore we'll probably see main characters that are Latino, Irish, British, African American, etc.
What battles/campaigns will be featured?

* Episode 1: Pearl Harbor - late May 1942
* Episode 2: Midway
* Episode 3: Guadalcanal
* Episode 4: Guadalcanal
* Episode 5: ?
* Episode 6: ?
* Episode 7: ?
* Episode 8: ?
* Episode 9: Hiroshima?

Also, somewhere in there HBO will also feature Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Okinawa. Nine episodes of gut-wrenching combat.

A USO Troupe???
If that is so -

< Message edited by Big B -- 4/30/2007 11:51:32 PM >

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 24
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 5/1/2007 12:15:02 AM   
siRkid

This is good news!

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 25
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 5/1/2007 12:35:47 AM   
Mynok

quote:

Guess how many "southern" accents there are? Gobs. Even some dialects. I can pick out eastern NC, Gulla (coastal SC blacks), Georgia, and Louisiana. There are lots more. Oh, I can probably nail an Appalachian and a Virginian too if they have the classic vowel markings.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 26
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 5/1/2007 2:33:03 AM   
wdolson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B
"For Sure! Dude!"

As a native So.Cal'er - I can tell you it's not an accent as much as a "dialect"

The whole Valley Girl thing is an affection some kids do thinking they sound cool. Paris Hilton has revived it.

The actual accent is much milder. My wife, who has a good ear, can't hear it. I've spotted people who were from LA just from their accents though. My wife contends that my mother's accent is influenced by her parents who were from Nebraska and Utah.

The heaviest LA accent I've ever heard is very mild compared to something like a thick Bronx accent.

Bill

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 27
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 5/1/2007 5:04:22 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok
Guess how many "southern" accents there are? Gobs. Even some dialects. I can pick out eastern NC, Gulla (coastal SC blacks), Georgia, and Louisiana. There are lots more. Oh, I can probably nail an Appalachian and a Virginian too if they have the classic vowel markings.

I didn't mean to imply there was only one. The variation from the East Coast to Texas in the South is more dramatic than from Pennsylvania to Wyoming. It just seems easier for native British or Australian English speakers to emulate Southern accents than Northern and Western ones.

This is probably due to who settled the different regions. The Northern colonies were settled mostly by people who were escaping repression in England. They had more motive to embrace the new land. They were probably more heavily influenced by the Native Americans around the Northeast too. Robert Pirsig makes a good case in Lila that American culture differs from Europe to a large extent because of the influences from the Native culture.

The Puritans probably embraced these influences because they favored straight talk and no frills.

Georgia was originally a penal colony, but the driving economic force in the South was the plantation. The plantation owners were more closely tied to England than those in the North. Many had been minor nobility in England: younger sons who wouldn't inherit the family's fortune back home, etc. They had less desire to leave England behind and their accent didn't diverge as much.

The American Revolution was slow to catch on in the South, even though some of its early leaders were Southerners. Even as late as the US Civil War the Southern economy was much more closely tied to England than the North.

A couple of decades ago there was a PBS series on the English language. I remember they looked at one town isolated in the outer banks in one of the Carolinas that still speaks a dialect of English that died off in England a couple of hundred years ago.

Bill

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 28
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 5/15/2007 1:48:26 PM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

Anyway, as for "The Pacific"

From the website - some info on the series: http://www.the-pacific-war.com/
quote:

What is the new series about?

The project is going to be spearheaded by Bruce McKenna who was also one of the main writers on BOB1. The name will also NOT be Band of Brothers. It will be simply called THE PACIFIC WAR (or THE PACIFIC) and will not be associated with any of the characters from BOB1. It is rumored that the series will follow a USO troupe who travel the Pacific trying to keep Allied soldiers entertained and morally up beat about the war. By doing this, the writers will be able to interwine through various soldiers and civilians who are caught in the conflict. We'll see the stories of cooks, nurses, pilots, infantry, and many others. Their are rumors that the characters will be much more diverse than before, and therefore we'll probably see main characters that are Latino, Irish, British, African American, etc.
What battles/campaigns will be featured?

* Episode 1: Pearl Harbor - late May 1942
* Episode 2: Midway
* Episode 3: Guadalcanal
* Episode 4: Guadalcanal
* Episode 5: ?
* Episode 6: ?
* Episode 7: ?
* Episode 8: ?
* Episode 9: Hiroshima?

Also, somewhere in there HBO will also feature Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Okinawa. Nine episodes of gut-wrenching combat.

Has anyone noted that the latest news on this site is dated Mar 30, 2005!!!

Do we have a time warp here or an effective news blackout??

At least the message board appears to be active and contains some info......

< Message edited by Reg -- 5/15/2007 1:51:38 PM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 29
RE: Something those here might be interested in - 5/15/2007 5:15:12 PM   
Mynok

quote:

A couple of decades ago there was a PBS series on the English language. I remember they looked at one town isolated in the outer banks in one of the Carolinas that still speaks a dialect of English that died off in England a couple of hundred years ago.

Probably was Ocracoke. Still only accessible by ferry.

Ok....no more hijacking, I promise.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Something those here might be interested in Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI