Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another Question - Blockade Runners

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Another Question - Blockade Runners Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another Question - Blockade Runners - 11/12/2007 5:40:59 PM   
JustusII

Is there anything as the Union I can do to interfere with southern blockade runners? I understand I can't intercept lone ships (which they always seem to operate alone). Per the manual, it appears each Union ship has a chance to damage BRs if they are in the same province at the end of a segment, is it worthwhile to put some ships out patrolling the seas, hoping to hit one? Does it matter if it's Frigates or Ships? Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Another Question - Blockade Runners - 11/12/2007 8:37:09 PM   
Gil R.

A fleet has a chance at intercepting runners, so long as the fleet is not blockading a port. Obviously, the fleet needs to be moving around the area freely, rather than tied down. So be aware of that key rule for interceptions.

I'm not at home so I can't consult the manual, but I'm 95% certain that ships must be in fleet containers to have an impact. Also, if the manual doesn't state that there's a difference between frigates and ships in this respect, there probably isn't any. (There's always the chance we left something out of the manual, but I don't think so.)

(in reply to JustusII)
Post #: 2
RE: Another Question - Blockade Runners - 11/12/2007 9:05:32 PM   
Erik Rutins

Gil,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.
A fleet has a chance at intercepting runners, so long as the fleet is not blockading a port. Obviously, the fleet needs to be moving around the area freely, rather than tied down. So be aware of that key rule for interceptions.

Are you sure about that? I thought Eric said blockading ships also had a chance. After all, the blockade runners need to go to and from a port.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: Another Question - Blockade Runners - 11/12/2007 9:43:49 PM   
Gil R.

I'm pretty sure, but might be wrong. Not being at home, I can't check on any of this. I guess we'll have to wait for Eric to weigh in.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Another Question - Blockade Runners - 11/13/2007 12:31:44 AM   
Ironclad

This issue was raised previously and Eric confirmed that ships in a blockading fleet possessed the same kill chance for runners.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 5
RE: Another Question - Blockade Runners - 11/13/2007 3:59:33 AM   
Gil R.

Oh. I guess I was remembering the discussion, but flipping around what the upshot was. Thanks.

I'm too busy editing bios to actually play the game, is my defense...

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 6
RE: Another Question - Blockade Runners - 11/17/2007 2:54:54 PM   
MilRevKo

If a ship or fleet starts the turn in the same sea zone as a blockade runner is there a 10% chance of the runners destruction?

--
Utinam populus romanus unam cervicem haberet!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: Another Question - Blockade Runners - 11/18/2007 2:45:48 AM   
ericbabe

Yes, blockading fleets should have a chance to damage runners.

(Quod Caligula dixit, numquam expectaveram aliquem scribere!)

(in reply to MilRevKo)
Post #: 8
RE: Another Question - Blockade Runners - 11/18/2007 4:14:19 AM   
moose1999

Oh, an opportunity to brush off my dusty latin skills!
Here goes:

"Utinam populus romanus unam cervicem haberet!" = If only the roman people had (but) one neck!

Having a bit of trouble with the verbalforms in the second quote...
Let me see... "Dixit": present perfect tense, singular, third person - easy enough - but "expectaveram" ...?
God, it's beeen a while ... (thinking) ... ...
Ah, eureka! (greek, I know )
It must be a ... pluperfect active indicative, first person singular (luckily one of the few I still know by heart) - now it makes sense.
So it's something like this (I hope):

"Quod Caligula dixit, numquam expectaveram aliquem scribere!" = What Caligula has said, I had never expected anyone to write (down).

See, now you can all sleep calmly tonight without nightmares of unknown latin quotations with big, pointy teeth chasing you down endless, darkened hallways...
All you have to do yourself is look up Caligula on Wikipedia and you'll even get the joke too.
Ain't I nice to you.

(God I need a vacation)

< Message edited by briny_norman -- 11/18/2007 4:19:44 AM >

regards,

Briny

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 9
RE: Another Question - Blockade Runners - 11/18/2007 10:01:20 PM   
ericbabe

Plus bonus, gratia tibi 

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 10
RE: Another Question - Blockade Runners - 11/18/2007 11:51:05 PM   
MilRevKo

Well done!  Good Show...

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 11
RE: Another Question - Blockade Runners - 11/22/2007 2:29:47 AM   
B/snafu

When your fleets intercept blockade runners--do the results of it show in the turn report or does it just hamper the southern supply level?

Case in point--I am currently in a game where I'm at late 62'. I have 5 fleets containg 2 ships & 3 frigates each--all are set on blockade at dfferent southern ports & all are set on intercept & seek battle. I have seen quite a few times where individual reb ships are in the same zone as one of my fleets & sometimes they stay there for a turn or so. I do not believe I have seen mention in the end of turn report of any "blockade runner" interception. Will it show? or if my fleets posibly intecepted some runners would it have only possibly reduced the resource gathering of the south for that turn only??

Lastly--does the armanant of the fleets factor in?? Due to my using all my "gun points" on repeatedly upgrading my western land armies (where most of the large scale fighting is going on in my current game) all of the ships in my fleets are still only "improvised". Would arming them better give me results in interception??

"How can you buy eggs in Malta for seven cents apiece and sell them at a profit in Pianosa for five cents?? "

(in reply to MilRevKo)
Post #: 12
RE: Another Question - Blockade Runners - 11/22/2007 9:23:59 PM   
ericbabe

I don't think the USA gets a message when it damages blockade runners, though I think the CSA does.  I don't have the source code with me to check for certain.

Weapon type doesn't matter.

(in reply to B/snafu)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Another Question - Blockade Runners Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI