Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Aircraft Questions - VP's, "Squadron Review Screen", and Aircraft Data

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Aircraft Questions - VP's, "Squadron Review Screen", and Aircraft Data Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Aircraft Questions - VP's, "Squadron Review Screen... - 6/19/2007 4:22:17 PM   
Icedawg

VP's and Losses -

I have played through three or four scenarios now and have noticed some odd things related to aircraft losses and VP's.

First, and most importantly, I believe the game is giving VP's to the wrong side for aircraft losses as the game plays. Fortunately, at the end of the scenario, it appears as though the losses are assigned correctly.

In all of the scenarios I've played, there has been a point where one side has gotten off an initial carrier-based strike without the other side being able to launch a counter strike. In all of these cases, losses to CAP and AA have been considerable (at least 30 or so planes in all, and up to about 70 in one case). Every time I have checked the VP screen after these strikes, VP's are awarded to the wrong side for lost naval-based aircraft. For example, if I, as the Japanese player, launch a strike and sink a couple of American carriers but lose 40 "light naval bombers" in the process, I receive VP's for the sunk American carriers and for 40 "light naval bombers" lost! This makes no sense at all. But, like I said above, by the end of the scenario, the aircraft losses look reasonable based on what actually transpired throughout the game and VP's are assigned to the proper side.

Secondly, and of less importance, why aren't operational losses "announced"? It would be nice to know when search planes fail to return to base or crash on landing. In a couple of my games, my Emily and Mavis squadrons were reduced to just a few planes left after 4 or 5 days of searching. In neither case was I informed that search aircraft had been lost.

"Squadron Review Screen"

How does one access the screen given in the second screenshot of the game's main page. This screenshot shows a list of the pilots in an American fighter squadron. Their fates or current states are listed along with a list of the available squadrons. I have experimented for a while now with the various buttons on the main game window but have not been able to bring up this seemingly useful screen. How does one get to this screen?

Aircraft Data

Is there any information given in the game regarding the performance characteristics of the different types of aircraft used in the game. As far as I can tell, the only information you get is the range of the aircraft and the general type of ordnance carried. Speed, manueverability, specific type of ordnance at different ranges (250 vs 60 kg bombs for the Val) and durability would be nice to know. Does the game even model these? (And yes, I'm thinking of a screen more or less like the aircraft data window in WITP.)
Post #: 1
RE: Aircraft Questions - VP's, "Squadron Review Sc... - 6/19/2007 4:37:04 PM   
AVisme

quote:

"Squadron Review Screen"

How does one access the screen given in the second screenshot of the game's main page. This screenshot shows a list of the pilots in an American fighter squadron. Their fates or current states are listed along with a list of the available squadrons. I have experimented for a while now with the various buttons on the main game window but have not been able to bring up this seemingly useful screen. How does one get to this screen?

lower right screen, second button from the end.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 2
RE: Aircraft Questions - VP's, "Squadron Review Sc... - 6/19/2007 4:42:16 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

"Squadron Review Screen"

Bottom row, second button from right. Then select squadrons. The most interesting details there, IMO, are those associated with the Strike History.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 3
RE: Aircraft Questions - VP's, "Squadron Review Sc... - 6/19/2007 4:43:50 PM   
Icedawg

Thanks.

I feel like an idiot though now - it sounds like it should have been easy to find.

I'll give it a shot when I get home from work tonight.

(in reply to AVisme)
Post #: 4
RE: Aircraft Questions - VP's, "Squadron Review Sc... - 6/19/2007 4:48:47 PM   
Icedawg

This sounds like a hidden (or apparently not so hidden) treasure. It sounds like there must be a ton of useful information here.

I know I've tried using all of the buttons on the main screen. I guess I just must have been half asleep as I was going through them. Playing until 4 am sometimes has its disadvantages.

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Aircraft Questions - VP's, "Squadron Review Screen", and Aircraft Data Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI