Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OK Whats CHS all about ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> OK Whats CHS all about ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 6:44:47 PM   
Cavalry Corp

I see there has been a lot of work put into this - all looks very interesting

Can I load it and still run my PBEM stock games ok . i am no pc expert , will it seld extract ?? Or I may self explode

What the three or five best reasons to play it - mainly I play Japs .

Can I view the oob somewhere - esp like to see what extra ships are included ??

Regards
Michael
Post #: 1
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 7:20:58 PM   
ny59giants

The best way to play CHS is to copy the original WitP into a separate folder in Matrix and rename it CHS. Then go to Andrew Brown's website to download CHS. I am also not an "expert" on computers, but this install is easy to follow.
I like it because the map is more accurate distance wise.
It adds Aden in the Middle East as main point of entry and thus is off limits to capture by the Japanese. In stock, if Karachi is captured, you can eliminate the western front.
It adds Panama as a main source of USA naval reinforcements.
There is a variety of OOB changes that included a lot of research by various players, so it is more historically accurate.
There are 3 scenarios with each having the option of the Soviet Navy - historical, Nik Mod (which gets A2A and flak more realistic - no Uper CAP), and experiemental.
I am playing a PBEM as Allies and it is 3/1/42. I enjoy the slightly different flavor of CHS and will NOT go back to a game using stock map.

Just my $.02  

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 8/1/2007 7:21:01 PM >

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 2
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 7:24:43 PM   
Cavalry Corp

OK sounds interesting

M

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 3
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 7:27:13 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Can I just COPY the whole game to another folder ?
I see what you say then the CHS folders downloaded ( I assume to the new CHS folder and will overwrite what they need to in the new CHS folder which is still stock changing what it needs to the CHS ??

m

Post #: 4
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 7:51:07 PM   
kaleun

quote:

No. That will not work. I am not a computer wonk, but there is some stuff that needs to happen for an install to work, that doesn't happen if you just copy the whole game.

Sorry.
It's worth the trouble though.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

Post #: 5
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 8:07:34 PM   
Knavey

CHS is NOT an easy install.  I am savy enough with computers to know my way around them and I have tried 2 times to get it to install and to no avail.  I will probably devote one more try to it, and then I will not try it again.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 6
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 8:10:36 PM   
Cavalry Corp

OH thats not good - esp for me

Looks v interesting though

M

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 7
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 8:17:10 PM   
Knavey

I agree, it does look very nice.

I wouldn't want to discourage you from giving it a shot though.  Just stating my experience with it. 

Like I said, I will probably give it another shot when I have some time to devote to trying to figure it out. 

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93

Post #: 8
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 8:17:37 PM   
darken92

quote:

ORIGINAL: cavalry

I see what you say then the CHS folders downloaded ( I assume to the new CHS folder and will overwrite what they need to in the new CHS folder which is still stock changing what it needs to the CHS ??

m

Yes, in fact I had 3 separate copies of the game. Each main folder will need a different name, ie WITP1 and WITP 2 etc. The slightly tricky part for us nobs is the shortcut on the desktop has to point to the correct folder.

I ran a game with the standard map and one with Andrew Brown.

CHS

CHS has several different parts to it. The first it is in essence a new scenario that adds more and different ground unit, planes and ships. For instance as the Japanese you now have some commerce raiders, armed merchant ships. Starting positions vary and units may have different TOE’s. This is not really different then any other scenario that people create.

It has a lot of information and people have spent a lot of time on it. It is assumed to be more accurate, it certainly has more toys to play with, not always for the best.

The second element is Andrews Browns map. This map is available for a lot of different mods, from CHS to Stock to Nik to BB and others. Once you try AB’s map you will never go back. It comes in several different versions based on the type of look you are after and is an outstanding piece of work. Can not recommend it high enough.

The third and final element is implementation of A2A mods such as the nik mod or the experimental mod.

What CHS does is combine all these elements together. You could play a stock based A2A mod, or try a stock game based on AB’s map, they are not exclusive. The main element is the OOB change.

I could never go back to the original map or play a game without some sort of A2A mod. They add so much to the game. You just need to ask if you want the OOB changes. Originaly I thought it was great but am going off it a little bit. CHS provides a range of insignificant ships, lots of very small allied AK’s. my opponent screened his CV with them as picket ships, en masse or sent them out looking for my aircraft / CV’s. Really stuck in my throat. Having said that, the right opponent for you makes it a great mod.

Post #: 9
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 8:59:08 PM   
spence

If you really like the Stock "Japanese" you will be shocked to find out what they really had available to them. The aircraft and ships are pretty much the same (although you get a few new toys) but the Army has had its steroids taken away: most of the Stock IJA Inf Divisions were credited with having 150mm/105mm guns that actually only existed as augmentative attachments from independent heavy artillery regiments to certain divisions tasked with difficult objectives (Stock at least doubled and probably tripled the heavy gun numbers of the IJA). The IJA will also find it much more challenging in China with lots more unfriendly Chinese and places to garrison.

(in reply to darken92)
Post #: 10
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 9:03:45 PM   
pauk

hm... im not sure but didn't AV of the Japanese div is decreased?

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 11
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 9:43:39 PM   
spence

I think the number of inf squads/division is the same but the number and type of guns is definitely decreased...I don't know exactly how that figures into assault ground combat...obviously (is there anything obvious in this game though?) it should decrease the effectiveness of bombardments. One thing I know is that the AV strength of the units invading Burma is less (as is fitting since The South Seas Detachment is a reinforced regimental combat team taken out of 55th Div: in Stock one gets both the South Seas Detachment and a full strength (actually overstrength due to extra arty) 55th Div).

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 12
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 10:06:24 PM   
Boozecamp

Two of the Japanese divisions in the Burma campaign started out with two instead of three regiments if IIRC. 55th and 56th? I think the 56th was later reinforced however.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 13
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 10:07:24 PM   
ny59giants

All I did was copy the original WitP with the patched installed in the Matrix folder and re-labeled it "CHS. "

Then, I went to Andrew's website and followed the instructions.
http://www.bur.st/~akbrown/witp.html

I had troubles the first time, but the second time I had to do it (after computer was re-formatted), it was done the first time. I would not get discouraged if it doesn't work for you the first time.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 14
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 10:36:27 PM   
Feinder

Installing CHS takes "some fiddling".  I know my way around a PC, and it took me about 2 hours to get everything right (you've got to get AB's map working, the scenario working, the in-game art files correct).

You just have play around with it, but once you get it set up, it PURDY.

Also, you need to remember to update you .exe files separately (since you'll have two separate install folders).

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 15
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/1/2007 11:53:42 PM   
Yamato hugger

Bah. I know nothing about computers and I run CHS from the same game as I run stock. Took me about 15 mins. Go to Andys site and simply follow his instructions.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 16
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/2/2007 12:28:34 AM   
whippleofd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

I wouldn't want to discourage you from giving it a shot though.  Just stating my experience with it. 

Like I said, I will probably give it another shot when I have some time to devote to trying to figure it out. 

Lemmie guess, you was a "rock" weren't ya? Oh wait, that was ME! Section one MM's all the way! You can do it, just "nuc it out". It's well worth the effort, besides if I can do it, so can you.

Disclamer: No "rocks" were hurt in the makeing of this post.

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 17
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/2/2007 12:44:11 AM   
Knavey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whipple

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

Lemmie guess, you was a "rock" weren't ya? Oh wait, that was ME! Section one MM's all the way! You can do it, just "nuc it out". It's well worth the effort, besides if I can do it, so can you.

Disclamer: No "rocks" were hurt in the makeing of this post.

Whipple

Hey...I was used to procedures that a monkey can follow! Written of course, with the blessing of NavSea08. And no members of the ORSE team were injured in the creation of those procedures.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93

(in reply to whippleofd)
Post #: 18
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/2/2007 1:12:04 AM   
wdolson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun
No. That will not work. I am not a computer wonk, but there is some stuff that needs to happen for an install to work, that doesn't happen if you just copy the whole game.

Sorry.
It's worth the trouble though.

Actually copying the game to a new folder does work fine. WitP needs to be installed once on your computer, but after that you can clone it on the same computer as often as you want and the clones play fine.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 19
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/2/2007 1:15:16 AM   
m10bob

Jeez guys...I'm over 55 years old..we still played with rocks and marbles when I was in school...If I can do it..YOU CAN!!!!

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 20
RE: OK Whats CHS all about ? - 8/2/2007 1:19:21 AM   
Knavey

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Jeez guys...I'm over 55 years old..we still played with rocks and marbles when I was in school...If I can do it..YOU CAN!!!!

Think I saw on the news the other night that marbles are making a comeback. Of course, rocks will get you expelled now since they can be construed as weapons.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> OK Whats CHS all about ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI