Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

As Japs why would i want to play under CHS

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> As Japs why would i want to play under CHS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
As Japs why would i want to play under CHS - 8/3/2007 3:35:15 PM   
Cavalry Corp

CHS- A lot of splendid work indeed

OK thats the question If I play as Japs and what would I expect dif from stock
The scn only start on 7/12 with all the attacks pre arranged - not so keen on that But there it is
Will the stock scn be added to it later . I usually play the 42-46 scn as for PBEM the allied player has a lot of turns to play before he will get to do anything .

I can see some big disadvantages - China but thats much more accurate now

Please tell me advantages to the Japs in CHS

One point I got quite excited about is that Shinano can be completed as fleet CV 120 capacity but the airgroups are still adding to 47 is that an oversight?

Will there be any near future patches for CHS and will i be able to upgrade a game in progress .

Cheers
michael

Post #: 1
RE: As Japs why would i want to play under CHS - 8/3/2007 4:07:29 PM   
Feinder

I haven't seen anything particularly debilitating for Japan in my PBEM game as Allies vs. Bilbow (Japan).  It's -different-, in that between the (usually) smaller airfields and the terrain, it does produce a new game.

But if you look at (several) new CHS AARs being posted (including mine), you'll see the that, at least with an experienced Japanese player, Japan is quite capable of bashing the h_ll out of the Allies.  Now, it's a different game.  You should really toss your stock strategy out the window, and look at everythign fresh (whether playing as Japan or Allies).  AFs are not as big as you "remember" them in stock.  Roads/Trails/Rail are redone, and this has a HUGE impact on the pace and placement of chokepoints in the game.

From what I've heard, you need to have a pretty good grasp of Japanese production, more so than in Stock (I have no idea tho, the enima of Japanese production is something I've avoided in CHS). 

For both sides, you had better have a good aptitude for logistics (esp if your opponent does).  For one thing, the transports have a smaller capacity, and many of the units are “heavier”.

My understanding is that for Japan Oil/RESOURCES/supply are much more critical to move around – which sounds like the strategic game could be more important for both sides. 

From an Allied point of view, esp if playing an experienced Japanese player, you –really- need to keep your convoys moving.  There will be a LOT of traffic between/from Aden/SF/Panama.  If you don’t plan accordingly, you’ll have 4 divisions sitting in Panama while you have transports in SF just loading supplies (also important).  Awe crap, it’s about 10 days from SF to Panama at full speed, and do I have enough lift to grab those divisions?!  And wait, I’ve got 2 AvRgts arriving in SF, so I don’t want to divert those transports!   So far, I haven’t allowed myself to into that position, but you can be very easily (again, the capacity of the vessels is considerably lower).  This is only my first crack at CHS (and I’m a bit of a logistics freak anyway, which is helping considerably), but I keep a list of about 2 months ahead of time, of what significant units are going to arrive where, and how much it takes to load them.  But frankly, as Japan, if you’re playing an Allied player who is a bit “casual” with logistics, you could probably do some serious stomping - the Allied units often arrive a little earlier, but they arrive FARTHER AWAY, and you have to maintain the traffic to keep moving your guys forward.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 2
RE: As Japs why would i want to play under CHS - 8/3/2007 4:15:42 PM   
kaleun

Not to forget that the rail line to Darwin is not present in CHS. Darwin is much harder to keep supplied and thus, much harder to use as a starting point for a push towards the DEI.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 3
RE: As Japs why would i want to play under CHS - 8/3/2007 4:45:19 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

Not to forget that the rail line to Darwin is not present in CHS. Darwin is much harder to keep supplied and thus, much harder to use as a starting point for a push towards the DEI.

Amen, brother!

And if you're into what-ifs, see my War Plan Orange scenario. It assumes the Emperor nixed Yamamoto's PH attack, and the Allies have to end up where they were in summer 1945 about two years earlier to win. (If the Allied military is short of that mark, the civilians do a deal with Japan so they can concentrate on Germany.)

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 4
RE: As Japs why would i want to play under CHS - 8/3/2007 5:06:00 PM   
kaleun

That's what usually happens when I play allied anyway!

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 5
RE: As Japs why would i want to play under CHS - 8/3/2007 5:16:02 PM   
Local Yokel

My knowledge of stock has become a bit rusty, having played nothing but CHS for some time.

Advantages for Japan? Well, you certainly get a smaller sealift capacity (if only through lower capacity ships). I believe the potency of the IJA divisions has been reduced by downgrading the power of their artillery. Resources rather than oil is the potential bottleneck for the economy. If the resource centres are heavily damaged when captured, you are likely in deep doo-doo. If you play the Nik Mod variant flak becomes a great killer of Japanese aircraft, though Japanese flak looks pretty toothless to me.

Wait a minute, these are all disadvantages for Japan... No, the true upside is that you have a more convincing range of excuses when you get spanked, or greater kudos if it turns out the other way.

In my book the only exciting thing about Shinano is all the naval ship construction points I save when I halt her construction. In any game.

Post #: 6
RE: As Japs why would i want to play under CHS - 8/3/2007 5:37:30 PM   
Feinder

If anything, the real question is "why would I want to play CHS".

The answer is,
a.  It's purdy.
b.  It's a different game (but yes, the eventual outcome is likely the same).

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 7
RE: As Japs why would i want to play under CHS - 8/3/2007 6:59:55 PM   
Mistmatz

If I remember correctly production rates changed and you should face less allied 4E bombers.

On the other hand it might very well be that the japanese production is even more difficult compared to stock.

Post #: 8
RE: As Japs why would i want to play under CHS - 8/3/2007 8:32:02 PM   
Yamato hugger

Well, for 1 in CHS the Tojo is available a month ahead of time. Many of your planes have better stats than their stock counterparts. The allied replacement rate is much lower. Northern Oz has already been mentioned. Northern China is cut off from the rest of the country making it easier to devour if thats the way your path takes you.

The only 2 CHS games I have played, I have played as Japs and I MUCH prefer it to stock.

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 9
RE: As Japs why would i want to play under CHS - 8/3/2007 10:51:56 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

Please tell me advantages to the Japs in CHS

This applies to CHS 159.

Well, to begin with, Japan gets more trained pilots per month. Not a huge amount but sufficient to keep most airgroups operational through the greater part of 42.

While Japan does have a smaller sealift capacity through redcued capacity, the fleet is generally more flexible as some transports are quite fast and you can match the LCU load to the ship better.

As Feinder said, you have to throw out the stock strategy and take a good look around at your forces.

Resources have been greatly reduced so you need to grab resources quickly which pretty much directs your opening strategy. And you must get them back to Japan or the economy will crash which brings production to a halt. Its a much more fragile production system, more realistic.

Probably the difference with the most impact is with the air routines. Air combat is less bloody, more planes damaged but fewer destroyed. And leakers will get through! Put up all the CAP you want, some bombers will get through. The Allies get fewer heavy bombers per month but they are very difficult to bring down. Air-launched torpedo accuracy has been reduced so Bettys, Nells and Kates won't hit as much. Not sure about Allied torpedoes.

Overall the feeling is much more historical. I'm involved in a game with BradfordKay and we are in late June 42. I have still not conquered all of the Philippines let alone the the whole of the SRA. I hold all the major ports and airfields but there are many small bases that still fly the Dutch or British flag. Part of the reason for that is Brad has put up a very good defence and put a lot of my transports out of commission so I didn't have the ability to mop up isolated pockets without impacting major ops. My economy is just starting to get going again after experiencing a resource shortage that has now been corrected. Damage to resource facilities and a lack of available ships was the problem.

All in all, I say try it, you'll like it. It'll be hard to go back to stock afterwards.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

Post #: 10
RE: As Japs why would i want to play under CHS - 8/3/2007 11:03:27 PM   
Halsey

Yep, CHS is not the cakewalk that stock is.
Stock was designed for AI play.

The Japanese have to make determined efforts in area operations.
Aggressive play, with full commitment to continental land operations.

Currently in a CHS team game the Japanese have a 2.5:1 odds in VP's in 10/42.
The only reason they don't have a 3:1 is because the Allies have applied the Sir Robin strategy.
So the Japanese have very good chances of auto victory in CHS.

They have to reinforce in Asia, and keep the KB intact.
A much more satisfying gaming experience than stock.

Post #: 11
RE: As Japs why would i want to play under CHS - 8/3/2007 11:16:23 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

Yep, CHS is not the cakewalk that stock is.
Stock was designed for AI play.

The Japanese have to make determined efforts in area operations.
Aggressive play, with full commitment to continental land operations.

Currently in a CHS team game the Japanese have a 2.5:1 odds in VP's in 10/42.
The only reason they don't have a 3:1 is because the Allies have applied the Sir Robin strategy.
So the Japanese have very good chances of auto victory in CHS.

They have to reinforce in Asia, and keep the KB intact.
A much more satisfying gaming experience than stock.

hey but this sounds just like my stock game !!

2.5 to 1 in VP in Nov 42 ...

Reinforcing massively in Asia ... keeping KB intact ...

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 12
RE: As Japs why would i want to play under CHS - 8/4/2007 1:26:18 AM   
Halsey

With lots and lots of supplies being sent forward.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 13
RE: As Japs why would i want to play under CHS - 8/4/2007 1:34:06 AM   
jwilkerson

Just loaded up a 96,000 convoy for a Burma run! And have regular runs set up to China too!

I have no excess supply. In fact, well I can't say that out here - but I have had to cut back in certain areas because I've had to prioritize supply. Airunits seem to eat a lot.

But I'll admit my IJA divisions are stronger than yours (thanks to me!)

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> As Japs why would i want to play under CHS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI