Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Work on It?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support >> Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Work on It? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Work o... - 10/5/2007 5:46:05 AM   
snapdragon48

I read about the patch, but I'm not clear as of the present moment whether it fixes all Vista problems. Also...if it does, is this patch incorporated into some other version of Tiller's campaign? I've had the experience that sometimes waiting a bit brings a version of the game along that already incorporates the "fix"--what can anyone tell me about the status of playing Tiller's game on Vista?

I want to add that I'm an old fan of EF II--my all-time favorite wargame--and *just now* discovered this thread, product, etc. I'm out of my mind with interest! So do an old EF II junkie a favor...and tell me your true opinion about running it on Vista. Is it premature to "go for it" just now? Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Wo... - 10/5/2007 5:51:51 AM   
cpdeyoung

Remember to set the "Disable desktop composition" in the shortcut you use to launch the Exe.  I am running JCTS under Vista Home Premium with no issues.  It runs well and every bit as well as under XP SP2.  I love this game and cannot think of any reason not to jump right in, welcome!

Chuck

(in reply to snapdragon48)
Post #: 2
RE: Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Wo... - 10/5/2007 5:56:00 AM   
snapdragon48

I appreciate hearing from you! Bear with me--I'm not a "computer guy"--just an avid EF II gamer. I don't know what a desktop composition shortcut to launch the exe is or refers to...is this a Windows thing, a game thing, or...?

Sorry to be so lame about this, but if you can just point me in the right direction, I'll do it. Before I buy, I want to be sure I can fly. Makes sense, no? Thanks again!

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 3
RE: Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Wo... - 10/5/2007 6:01:37 AM   
Jason Petho

Voila

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=42543

Jason Petho

Post #: 4
RE: Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Wo... - 10/5/2007 6:08:06 AM   
snapdragon48

Okay...so it's if I right click on the *game shortcut* on mydesktop, choose the disable etc...then it should work okay, right? Just to review: I *also* would need to download the patch after buying the game in the box, yes? I noticed that Vista was *not* one of the OS versions listed in the Requirements section for Tiller's.

This is the last question I ask before buying it, provided I'm sure I understand. For those of us who are none too comfortable with computer software, it's better to be safe and plodding, even if you look like a dumb grunt. So to speak.

I'm really impressed with the support here; is it always this good?

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 5
RE: Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Wo... - 10/5/2007 6:17:34 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: snapdragon48

Okay...so it's if I right click on the *game shortcut* on mydesktop, choose the disable etc...then it should work okay, right?

That is my understanding, yes.

quote:

Just to review: I *also* would need to download the patch after buying the game in the box, yes? I noticed that Vista was *not* one of the OS versions listed in the Requirements section for Tiller's.

Yes, you will have to download the 1.02 Update with the available UPDATE button on the main menu. After which you will have to download the TEMPORARY 1.02B PATCH available here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1534517

Follow the instructions to the tee, and you shouldn't have a problem.

The 1.03 Update will include this 1.02B Temporary patch and should be available sometime around Christmas.

quote:

This is the last question I ask before buying it, provided I'm sure I understand. For those of us who are none too comfortable with computer software, it's better to be safe and plodding, even if you look like a dumb grunt. So to speak.

Duly noted and agreed!

quote:

I'm really impressed with the support here; is it always this good?

If I don't have the answer, then someone usually does in short order!

Jason Petho

Post #: 6
RE: Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Wo... - 10/5/2007 4:55:43 PM   
vadersson

Hey Snapdragon,

I run the game on Vista at home.  So far aside for the issues above (which is fixed easily) I have had no problems running under vista.  The game is wonderful and there are even new scenarios to try.

Thanks,
Duncan

Carrier Rifle Section should be modeled with their Bren guns!

Post #: 7
RE: Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Wo... - 10/12/2007 6:03:06 AM   
snapdragon48

Progress report: I have the game, installed it, and have clicked the "disable desktop composition" box in the shortcut. I haven't tried to run the game yet, as I realize there's a patch I need to download. I went to the Start menu, saw the line for "Check for Updates" and plugged in for the internet (I'm on dial-up). I got a message that said "Error--Update info for (the game) couldn't be downloaded. Contact Matrix Games." So here I am. This is literally up to the minute. I'm encouraged--I've got the same and it's installed--but I still need to get the update. Advice?

(in reply to vadersson)
Post #: 8
RE: Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Wo... - 10/12/2007 6:27:13 AM   
Jason Petho

You can manually download the 1.02 UPDATE here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/downloads.asp?gid=318

Install it.

After which you will want to go to this thread and download the TEMPORARY 1.02B PATCH:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1534517

Follow the instructions and you should have no problems.

Jason Petho

Post #: 9
RE: Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Wo... - 10/12/2007 8:05:30 AM   
snapdragon48

Thanks for the reply. Since last posting, I did download the v1.02 update. I notice it is a zip file--does this mean I need to download a zip utility to open it? More importantly (and this harks back to my experience with Talonsoft), is it crucial as to what location (directory) I open it in?

As always, I don't mind at all being told like I'm an eight year-old; I just want to get it right and have it work. Thanks.

Post #: 10
RE: Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Wo... - 10/12/2007 4:04:37 PM   
Jason Petho

Yes, you will need an extraction method. I use Winzip.

The 1.02 Update can be unzipped anywhere, unlike the Talonsoft updates.

The 1.02B TEMPORARY PATCH requires you following the instructions in the post.

Jason Petho

Post #: 11
RE: Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Wo... - 10/12/2007 7:01:53 PM   
snapdragon48

Okay, I got Winzip and unzipped. I was kind of expecting that when I clicked on the JT Campaign shortcut, it would show somewhere either a more current time or display the upgraded version of the game...but I don't see that anywhere. Maybe that only displays when you actually run the game and click on "About" (or something like that)?

Anyway, I saw the instructions for the patch, and I'm going to think about that. If the game is playable without it, I may wait for the later patch. I really get confused by all the "stuff" I see on the desktop...I've got a folder with a Firefox logo on it that contains the Update (but I assume that's nothing I use to actually run the game, now that I've unzipped), and etc. Also, there keeps being a mention of a button in MCS for Updates. I've looked for a button but don't see one. Is there some other thing I'm supposed to do?

Sorry for all the questions. I'll be going offline at the end of the month, so you'll at least have a vacation from all this. Anyway, I won't post again unless I absolutely can't run the game. Thanks again.

Post #: 12
RE: Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Wo... - 10/12/2007 7:12:41 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

Okay, I got Winzip and unzipped. I was kind of expecting that when I clicked on the JT Campaign shortcut, it would show somewhere either a more current time or display the upgraded version of the game...but I don't see that anywhere. Maybe that only displays when you actually run the game and click on "About" (or something like that)?

It is not working at the moment, but hopefully it will be remedied for 1.03 when we release it.

quote:

Anyway, I saw the instructions for the patch, and I'm going to think about that. If the game is playable without it, I may wait for the later patch.

It looks daunting, but it is actually fairly straightforward.

It isn't necessary if you don't play with scenarios that have Dutch in them, or scenarios with motorcycles and horses.

Regardless, I would recommend installing it... it should only take 10 minutes or so to do so.

quote:

I really get confused by all the "stuff" I see on the desktop...I've got a folder with a Firefox logo on it that contains the Update (but I assume that's nothing I use to actually run the game, now that I've unzipped), and etc. Also, there keeps being a mention of a button in MCS for Updates. I've looked for a button but don't see one. Is there some other thing I'm supposed to do?

When you launch the Campaign Series, the first menu that appears (where you select the game you want to play) you will see an "UPDATE" button underneath the game listings (East Front, West Front, Rising Sun). Click on that.

quote:

Sorry for all the questions. I'll be going offline at the end of the month, so you'll at least have a vacation from all this. Anyway, I won't post again unless I absolutely can't run the game. Thanks again.

No need to apologize as I'm more than willing to help out when I can.

Jason Petho

Post #: 13
RE: Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Wo... - 10/12/2007 11:48:05 PM   
Arkady

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

The 1.03 Update will include this 1.02B Temporary patch and should be available sometime around Christmas.

Christmas this year ?

sorry, just joking
I know MG policy about public deadlines for games and patches, it will be ready when its ready

Post #: 14
RE: Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Wo... - 10/13/2007 12:02:33 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arkady

Christmas this year ?

Certainly a Christmas!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arkady
sorry, just joking
I know MG policy about public deadlines for games and patches, it will be ready when its ready

You know it!

Jason Petho

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support >> Give me Advice--I'm Running Vista--Will Tiller's Work on It? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI