Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Comment on Stone Structures

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Comment on Stone Structures Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Comment on Stone Structures - 10/13/2007 1:04:57 AM   
RobertMc

Hi all--

Using version 8.403, and decided to play the "Tractor Works" scenario, number 331 on the list.
First off, I'm surely no Stalingrad expert but my reading on that horrendous battle tells me that, generally speaking, most kills in areas with stone structures were at close range, meaning that one side or another either had to infiltrate or attack.
In this scenario--as in others I've noted that are predominately urban combat--the infantry kill rate seems way out of line, in that in a single turn (one minute) two dozen or more soldiers in stone buildings may fall from fire delivered one hundred, two hundred or even three hundred meters away.
I'm wondering if the protection benefits for stone structures may be out of whack, and this is not something new because I'm noted this in other versions.
I've followed someone's advice on another forum to up Infantry Toughness to 150%. Still I seemed to be getting (and causing) too many kills from squads firiing at each other in stone buildings.
I then reduced all squad FC to 0 and made all infantry weapons accuracy rating 0. Harsh, I know, but I introduced a new Close Combat "weapon" that had a "1" range and suddenly the results I was getting seemed closer to "reality", whatever that is. When a squad attacked, they either paid for it and were destroyed or took some casualities and stuck.
The problem here is that, now when a squad breaks and tries to run across a street, an enemy squad ought to be able to shoot down four or five of them in the open at a distance of two hexes or so. That doesn't happen, because of the changes I've made.
Anybody see where I'm going with this?
Is there a problem inherent in SP with the protection factor of stone structures?
Any comment or thought is appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Comment on Stone Structures - 10/13/2007 7:40:30 PM   
m10bob

In scenerios like Stalingrad, the distance should be irrelevant because some of those "stone structures" might represent a building several stories high, and we have all seen pics of MG teams mounted on higher floors.
Height in an urban area increases the defenders capabilities to strike out with small risk of elimination.
Anybody remember Charles Whitman?

(in reply to RobertMc)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Comment on Stone Structures Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI