Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Global Domination 1938 AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> Global Domination 1938 AAR Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Global Domination 1938 AAR - 7/1/2011 7:20:25 PM   
ernieschwitz

Not sure how much of an AAR this is going to be, i think it may be more of a story (from one side, that of Germany) of how events unfold in the game of Global Domination 1938, that I am playing at the moment with Bombur (France, Great Britain), Jeffrey H (Soviet Union) and GrumpyMel (United States, China).

Anyway, here goes...
Post #: 1
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 7/1/2011 7:30:52 PM   
ernieschwitz

1938 January

Hitler has been preparing the Anschluss for months now, and in january he decides to annex Austria. A highly successful parade is held in Vienna, celebrating the coming home of the German people to the Reich. Hitler promises prosperity and the union of all German People.

Secretly a conspiracy has been worked on in Denmark, to replace the current goverment, with a Pro-German one. The plan unfolds without a hitch. The neutral goverment is toppled and the Germanicly friendly Danes celebrate, as a new Right Wing goverment is established. Hitler quickly recognizes the new goverment.

Speaking of secret conspiracies and toppling of goverments. The Soviet Union has been working on several coups in the Balkan area. The Abwehr is able to use the attempted coup in Rumania, to stage a counter coup, and the Rumanian people decide to embrace the new Right Wing goverment.

Unfortunately the Abwehr is not able to prevent coups in Turkey (which aligns with Great Britain) and Yugoslavia (that aligns with the Soviet Union.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 2
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 7/1/2011 7:59:27 PM   
ernieschwitz

Also in the News:

Venezuela decides to emmulate the Germanic way of life. A right wing coup, brings to goverment a head of state friendly to Germany. The Kriegsmarine has expressed great interest in the Venezuelan offer to refuel and supply German uboats and surface ships should they come visit.

France signs a pact of mutual assistance with Luxembourg and Greece. Great Britain signs pacts of mutual assistance with Norway and Belgium.

Latin America and the Carribean: The united states signs a pact allowing American bases in Cuba. Coups in Nicaragua and Honduras end in pro-american goverments.

Post #: 3
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 7/5/2011 7:49:33 PM   
Jeffrey H.

The shape of the coming conflict is taking form. Diplomatic coups are reaching the end of their time. War is coming.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 4
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 7/6/2011 12:26:10 AM   
ernieschwitz

Indeed, Jeffrey H. Indeed.

Feb. 1938.

The Fuhrer is able to convince Hungary to join the Axis. Czechoslovakia is now completely surrounded, save for it´s borders with Poland. Surely it would be suicide for Czechoslovakia to join in a military alliance with any other country than Germany. In secrecy the Czech goverment rounds up innocent German people in important positions and accuse them of wanting to start a coup. Nothing could be further from the truth than this, the Fuhrer thunders in one of his speaches from the Reichtag.

In other news, Albania is convinced by Mussolini to join in an alliance with Italy. Mongolia is merged with the Soviet Union, and a coup in Finland brings about a government friendly to the Soviet Union (several prominent politicians are shot, but this is the way of things).

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 5
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 7/7/2011 8:09:50 PM   
ernieschwitz

... ladies and gentlemen... so far this thread has been exclusively history (what has been going on), now we break with tradition, skip a month forward in time, and go directly to the Fuhrers live speech as heard on the Radio.

"... and we will not let these acts go unpunished. The Czechs have wrongly imprissoned free and innocent Germanic people. No nation would let these acts go unpunished, if they where against citizens of their own kind. Do you think the british would let anglo citizens be imprisoned by lesser nations, if they where innocent of their crimes. No, I say. No! No! NO!. Why should germans act more kindly to these kinds of oppression than anyone else would? I ask you! No there is no doubt in my mind had these acts been made by say China then there would be international uproar. Why oh why would germans not react to such things. So today, at 6:45 I made the decision!

(loud and thundering applause)

Since this morning, at 6:45, a state of war has existed between the Czech Republic, and the German Reich! Even now our glorious arian troops are marching towards Prague, to free the subjugated Germans living in this country, and to free the innocent citizens of Germanic origin being held captive by these people. Already now Bratislava has been freed, from the tyrany of this so-called democratic government.

(even louder and more thundering applause)

Our friends, in Hungary have been lent a hand to free some of their foreign nationals as well. ... This day will go down in history as the day Germany stood up to foreign demands and orders, and said, no more. We have our pride, we have our history, and we have our purity of spirit and race. I say once again: No More! Never more!

(loud claps and spontanious bursts of "Sieg Heil!".)

And to our worried friends abroad, we say this. Do not fear Germany. We have no aims beyond freeing Germanic citizens and upholding their rights abroad. If you are a friend of Germany, you have nothing to worry about. No, you shouldn´t worry, you should be proud. Proud of a nation rising to it´s feet and standing up ready to join the other civilized countries of the world."

(The crowd erupts in shouts of "Sieg Heil!" and the transmission ends)

Post #: 6
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 7/8/2011 12:10:10 AM   
ernieschwitz

March 1938.

The Reich is quiet, albeit, that is a thing that will not last. German citizens enjoy their structured way of life while German diplomats and officials work behind the scenes.

Meanwhile the Italian goverment is enjoying some successes. A coup in Persia ends with a pro-italian governemt, and a botched coup attempt by the british in Portugal, results in a right-wing pro-italian regime. The two new allies that the italians have now are making them bold. Perhaps they will try something rash soon...

Post #: 7
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 7/8/2011 8:25:44 PM   
Jeffrey H.

The Soviet Union is embarrased to report that a logistics SNAFU has resulted in the issue of live ammunition to some of it's forces conducting mutual training exercises in a Baltic republic. We are working to resolve the situation. It appears that a consensus meeting in the capitol will take place next round.

In other news, the Danish, Soviet Baltic and Finnish fleets exchange peaceful greetings off the coast of Sweden, demonstrating the mutual respect the governments have for each other.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 8
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 7/9/2011 5:17:16 AM   
AlanBernardo

Are we ever going to get some actual screens of the fighting or of what is going on?

Alan

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 9
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 7/21/2011 7:05:11 PM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlanBernardo
Are we ever going to get some actual screens of the fighting or of what is going on?

Alan

Not sure, depends on censorship ;)

On a more positive note, Germany celebrates its complete conquest of Czechoslovakia.

(in reply to AlanBernardo)
Post #: 10
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 8/10/2011 7:40:06 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Man, those Latvians are a tough bunch. They are holding up the entire Soviet Western airforce and have chewed up at least 3 Sovient infantry units. Oh and also, the entire Baltic fleet capable of bomberdment and the entire Soviet artillery corps.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 11
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 9/9/2011 12:15:54 PM   
Bombur

Game stalled for more than one month, but now Iron Knight took ernie´s place. Expect turns to resume soon...

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 12
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 9/9/2011 4:08:36 PM   
Josh

Nice, keep it going.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 13
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 9/17/2011 5:35:22 PM   
Jeffrey H.

The Latvians have finally been eliminated. The Estonians were next, they went relatively quickly. My forces are gaining some valuable experience. I finally spent some quality time with the production, whew ! that's a lot of stuff to keep track of. One question, how do I get research ?

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 14
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 9/18/2011 9:51:47 AM   
ernieschwitz

Research is auto generated, and dependent on the number of major capitols, capitols and research centers one owns. You get 100 research pr. turn for each major capitol, 50 for each capitol, and 25 for each research center....

You can build extra research centers with engineers, and you can conquor the rest...

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 15
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 9/20/2011 5:10:14 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Germany declared war on Poland ! Damn, I wasn't ready.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 16
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 9/20/2011 9:02:24 AM   
lion_of_judah

more screenshots please

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 17
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 9/20/2011 3:37:59 PM   
Josh

Ditto, some screenshots would be nice.
Puhlease?

(in reply to lion_of_judah)
Post #: 18
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 9/23/2011 4:48:49 AM   
Iron Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Germany declared war on Poland ! Damn, I wasn't ready.

Neither was I hahaha! Still getting used to these units. This game may get a lot shorter.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 19
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 10/19/2011 12:54:57 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Well France GB and Russia declared war on Germany. The Germans are much tougher than the Baltic minors! Russia has had some successes, and some defeats. Pictures will disclose sensitive military information.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Iron Knight)
Post #: 20
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 10/19/2011 5:55:47 AM   
Iron Knight

Honestly, it seems so hard to pull off a good offensive. Japan's getting killed. Italy looks like it would only get hurt if it joined in. Germany looks good to bunker up.

Edit: Also my coups haven't gone well...

< Message edited by Iron Knight -- 10/19/2011 5:59:06 AM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 21
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 10/19/2011 4:23:26 PM   
ernieschwitz

Hey: I agree that attacks are pretty hard.

I used the stock bombur units and entrenchment values offered, and i think they may be a little too high. That being said, i was able to, in test games to attack, if planned very well. I would suggest using bombers and artillery to soften up units, more than you are used to, and to rely less on tanks than used to as well...

I will speak with Bombur about his oppinions on the units and entrenchment values, perhaps even the attack stack values, and see if we can´t come up with a better solution than currently.

Oh and BTW: I want to thank you all for testing the scenario so far.

Post #: 22
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 10/19/2011 4:24:47 PM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iron Knight

[...]

I thought honestly i had made all the coups that would have been needed. But i guess if you really wanted to you could use a few more coups in south america.

Post #: 23
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 10/19/2011 7:40:02 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iron Knight

[...]

I thought honestly i had made all the coups that would have been needed. But i guess if you really wanted to you could use a few more coups in south america.

About the coups, I notice that some are still possible after I've declared war and conquered the regime. I wonder what would happen if I tried to launch a coup on a defeated regime ?

Ron Swanson

Post #: 24
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 10/19/2011 8:38:41 PM   
Bombur

I think that the trouble with offensives is map scale....to much cities in Europe and too few room to maneuver, it turns to be a WWI bloodbath...the other trouble, maybe, is that infantry in Bombur mod makes two attacks instead of one, this make the infantry more powerful in defense. Air units and artillery are no doubt necessary....I took a bloody nose from the Germans both in the air and in the land, btw

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 25
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 10/19/2011 8:39:59 PM   
ernieschwitz

Re: Jeffrey H:

I believe that you would get to spend the PPs but it would not run the coup code, as i somewhere in there had a line checking if you where at war with them.

I have found no really good way of determining when a regime is actually conquered, that wouldn´t eat up alot of time.

< Message edited by ernieschwitz -- 10/19/2011 8:41:57 PM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 26
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 10/19/2011 9:35:06 PM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bombur

I think that the trouble with offensives is map scale....to much cities in Europe and too few room to maneuver, it turns to be a WWI bloodbath...the other trouble, maybe, is that infantry in Bombur mod makes two attacks instead of one, this make the infantry more powerful in defense. Air units and artillery are no doubt necessary....I took a bloody nose from the Germans both in the air and in the land, btw

Not sure the cities and maneuver problems are the cause of the problem, since it seems there are the same troubles in China for Japan...

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 27
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 10/20/2011 1:08:04 AM   
Bombur

Was the Japanese player able to build a large armoured force? Historically both sides fielded infantry based armies...

Post #: 28
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 10/20/2011 7:53:01 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Re: Jeffrey H:

I believe that you would get to spend the PPs but it would not run the coup code, as i somewhere in there had a line checking if you where at war with them.

I have found no really good way of determining when a regime is actually conquered, that wouldn´t eat up alot of time.

I see the logic, however the 'what ifs' make for some interesting thought experiments; What if the Germans had obtained Latvia by force and Russia was not at war with Germany, could Russia play the Latvia coup card ?

Ron Swanson

Post #: 29
RE: Global Domination 1938 AAR - 10/20/2011 7:58:07 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bombur

In order to make offensives work, you'll need to do a lot of air and artillery prep and have a solid numerical advantage, in addition to having a defender willing to sit there and take it.

The map scale itself I think is ok but the unit scale and production rates could possibly use some tweaking. For instance, what does 1 infatry unit in the game represent ? 1000 men or 10,000 ? How long/how many PP's does it take to generate one ? I think that's where the tweaking should be focused.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> Global Domination 1938 AAR Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI