Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GM Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> GM Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GM Question - 11/6/2007 5:37:28 PM   
Wrathchild

What exactly is the GM's job? I see that some people here play at the GM level, never managing their games, etc. I've found that I really don't like simming games, whether singly or in extended amounts. I like the hands on tactical situation. That's why I'd be better as a squad leader than a battalion commander. Except that I'm not very good at running a Puresim team.
Post #: 1
RE: GM Question - 11/6/2007 6:20:51 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

I've almost always simmed games, having GM'd only about 1 full season with a Multiplayer league. I will tell you from that experience that I would rather manage all games personally; no doubt about it.

Regardless, the GM basically monitors the team from a "higher" perspective. Effectively, they observe the team's progress, adjust lineups to best suit the team and it's performance, handle call ups and send downs, look for potential trade opportunities and for the most part all of the duties of running a baseball team, without the micromanaging required of managing each and every pitch of each in every game. The one advantage that I personally see in playing Puresim at the GM level is that time/seasons flow by faster. In the time it takes me to manage one game, you could probably sim an entire month (barring injuries or other game-halting events).

I simmed a few weeks when I first started my association and found it... moderately enjoyable. It wasn't until I actually managed the games personally that I became as immersed in Puresim as a tic in a dog. Deeper, even. Without the blood loss. Well, a little bit of blood loss.

All in all, there's no real right way or wrong way to play the game. As long as you enjoy it how you enjoy it, all is well.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 2
RE: GM Question - 11/6/2007 6:35:23 PM   
Wrathchild

I think the time element really is the catch. I read about all the seasons some of the gamers here have put in and I'm tempted to sim everything, because I do want to see things happening over time. But my experience has been that I become detached from the team doing that, and sometimes don't even know who the players on my team are. I really enjoy knowing my team in depth and having a better idea of who is who and who is capable of what.

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 3
RE: GM Question - 11/6/2007 7:05:59 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wrathchild

...and sometimes don't even know who the players on my team are. I really enjoy knowing my team in depth and having a better idea of who is who and who is capable of what.

I couldn't have put it better myself. Keep managing that way. Soon enough, you'll start realizing how they have personalities, good moods, bad moods, trends, weaknesses, strengths, etc.

< Message edited by Frozen Stiffer -- 11/6/2007 7:07:11 PM >

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 4
RE: GM Question - 11/7/2007 7:50:47 PM   
Nukester

For me, Im a stat junkie, and can spend hours looking through career stats, so I sim so I can get a nice deep history to look at. If I played out every game, I would get maybe 2 seasons complete in a RL year

< Message edited by Nukester -- 11/7/2007 7:51:04 PM >

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 5
RE: GM Question - 11/7/2007 11:54:34 PM   
Bustoff

Nukester, you and Wrathchild demonstrate one of the bedrock strengths of this game, and that is, simply, whatever floats your boat is OK with PS. Stat junkie? Come on in and immerse yourself in a sea of numbers. Want to forget the numbers and get to know your players instead? Join them in the dugout every day. Want a little of both? Go for it. Want to assemble a long-ball team, or is "Whitey Ball" more your style? Whatever--always, whatever.

"I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation." -- Satchel Paige

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 6
RE: GM Question - 11/8/2007 1:58:48 AM   
KG Erwin

At the risk of sounding like a rabid fanboy, it's one thing to read the histories, but it's something entirely different to watch these long-gone teams and long-dead players on the field.

The feeling is different, of course. However, it is through this game that I've become a fan of players that I have only seen on film: Pete Reiser (damn, that boy coulda been a Hall of Famer, but cruel fate intervened), Kirby ("f*ckin") Higbe (a fascinating character, and wildly unpredictable), George Kell (one of the great thirdbasemen of all time) etc etc.

Sure, I love the stats, but I wanna go deeper, into the human aspect, and this game gives it to you.

(in reply to Bustoff)
Post #: 7
RE: GM Question - 11/8/2007 3:39:39 AM   
Nukester

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

At the risk of sounding like a rabid fanboy, it's one thing to read the histories, but it's something entirely different to watch these long-gone teams and long-dead players on the field.

The feeling is different, of course. However, it is through this game that I've become a fan of players that I have only seen on film: Pete Reiser (damn, that boy coulda been a Hall of Famer, but cruel fate intervened), Kirby ("f*ckin") Higbe (a fascinating character, and wildly unpredictable), George Kell (one of the great thirdbasemen of all time) etc etc.

Sure, I love the stats, but I wanna go deeper, into the human aspect, and this game gives it to you.

Sure. Absolutely. I learn baseball history by looking at stories about players Ive never heard of before that are performing well/poorly in my league. I probably would have never heard of Rube Kroh had he not become a 6 time A.G Spalding Award winner in my league (my Cy Young Award).

The way I play is to play as GM/manager but I dont play out every game. Most of the time I will sim a week at a time, look at boxscores for my team, look at a bunch of other screens, maybe make some roster moves, then rinse and repeat. I dont sim entire decades just to get stats (although you could if you wanted too). In my historicals, I only play out playoff games that my team is in. For fictionals I play a bit differently. Then I play 1 or 2 games per series. What I try and do is win a series. So for a 3 game series, I might sim the first game, then play out the second game. If I win the first 2 of 3, then Ill sim the 3rd game. If I split the first 2 games, Ill play out the 3rd game (to try and win the series 2 games to 1)

< Message edited by Nukester -- 11/8/2007 3:44:55 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> GM Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI