Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Disabled List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Disabled List Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Disabled List - 11/13/2007 6:07:33 PM   
Wrathchild

What is the general purpose of the Disabled List? Will injuries heal faster?
Post #: 1
RE: Disabled List - 11/13/2007 6:34:13 PM   
PadresFan104

Yes, injured players will heal faster, and it allows you to bring up a player from the minors to fill your 25 man roster.

PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 2
RE: Disabled List - 11/13/2007 6:41:09 PM   
Wrathchild

So let's say one of your primary players is placed on the Disabled List. Is it better to bring up a replacement for him from the minors, or will that hinder the player's development? Would it be better to just use a scrub who is already on your major league roster?

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 3
RE: Disabled List - 11/13/2007 9:58:26 PM   
Nukester

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wrathchild

So let's say one of your primary players is placed on the Disabled List. Is it better to bring up a replacement for him from the minors, or will that hinder the player's development? Would it be better to just use a scrub who is already on your major league roster?

I guess that all depends on the circumstance. If its a long injury, you might want to fill that space on the roster. If its short, you might want to just leave the spot open, and start whatever warm body you have already in the majors that can play the position. Most of the time I will bring a player up, especially if its a pitcher. If its a position player, and I have a better one on the bench to start, I might not necessarily bring up the "best" player in my minors because I dont want to potentially stunt his development, but will bring up an older guy that might be able to pinch hit or pinch run or something

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 4
RE: Disabled List - 11/14/2007 2:50:19 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

Also, I never send a player to the DL just because they are injured. The recovery time would need to be at least 15 days. Otherwise, I keep them on the roster and simply not start them. Trust me that the LAST thing you want to do is field an injured player; they will perform horribly (which I've witnessed) and they are very likely to aggrevate and worsen their existing injury (which I have also witnessed). Any time in-game is time they do not heal; even if they field one out, take one at bat, or even sit at third while someone else records the out. If they have 10 days left to heal and take just one at bat, next day they will still have 10 days left to heal.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 5
RE: Disabled List - 11/14/2007 10:17:17 PM   
Wrathchild

It also seems that sometimes the time to heal doesn't decrease even if they don't do anything.

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 6
RE: Disabled List - 11/14/2007 10:54:13 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

Now that, I have not seen. They do decrease if they are not used; at least from my experience.

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 7
RE: Disabled List - 11/14/2007 11:00:34 PM   
Bustoff

Wrathchild, I have not seen that. However...let's say Joe Bagodonuts injures his uvula bad enough that it will take three weeks to heal. After simming two or three days, Joe shows he still has three weeks to heal. Well, he does, more or less, until a week passes and he has two weeks left to heal. PS will display healing time in increments of a week for long-term injuries, and you may not see the time go down on a day-to-day basis. Does this make sense?

I am not sure how Joe could have injured his uvula, but in PS, anything can happen.

"I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation." -- Satchel Paige

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 8
RE: Disabled List - 11/15/2007 1:14:47 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bustoff

Joe Bagodonuts injures his uvula

That was some wild pitch!!!

(in reply to Bustoff)
Post #: 9
RE: Disabled List - 11/15/2007 2:43:06 AM   
KG Erwin

I got a guy on my '41 Dodgers who had to be placed on the 60-day DL. Even when this time is up, he'll still have 13 days left to recover. So, I'll probably put him right back on the 15-day DL.

Now, past injuries have forced me to call up players from the minors, but they are just there to occupy a roster spot. Doesn't mean I have to let them play. Personally, if a guy if gonna be unavailable for more than 10 days, he goes on the DL.

I'd prefer having relatively healthy bodies on the bench, rather than a few "walking wounded" who won't do me any good at all in an emergency. I also prefer risking a rookie getting his pride hurt, rather than a regular aggravating a pre-existing injury.

Let me put it another way: putting the human aspect aside, players are business investments, especially with finances on, so a bit of risk assessment is sometimes required.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 11/15/2007 2:45:07 AM >

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 10
RE: Disabled List - 11/15/2007 4:13:55 PM   
Wrathchild

I feel sorry for Joe's vulva.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
RE: Disabled List - 11/15/2007 9:28:27 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin
I'd prefer having relatively healthy bodies on the bench, rather than a few "walking wounded" who won't do me any good at all in an emergency. I also prefer risking a rookie getting his pride hurt, rather than a regular aggravating a pre-existing injury.

I agree 101% with KG here, but I still want to clear up what I said before. When I said that I have a range where I WILL put a player on the D/L instead of leave them on the roster, I had a reason for this. Sometimes, that player is so valuable (or their sub not of the highest quality) that I don't want to "lose" even 1 day of time having them healthy, but on the D/L because I put them there on a 9-day injury. Sometimes, those 6 days lost can make a real difference, especially when the replacement isn't as talented on the field or as potent at the plate.

In fact, I had a case once where a player was injured for 9 weeks. I put him on the 15-day DL three times. It would have been easier with no follow-up needed to drop him on the 60-day, but that would mean 15 days of his service wasted.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 12
RE: Disabled List - 11/15/2007 9:28:43 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

quote:

I feel sorry for Joe's vulva.

Joe's Volvo?

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 13
RE: Disabled List - 11/15/2007 10:25:46 PM   
Wrathchild

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frozen Stiffer

In fact, I had a case once where a player was injured for 9 weeks. I put him on the 15-day DL three times. It would have been easier with no follow-up needed to drop him on the 60-day, but that would mean 15 days of his service wasted.

Wouldn't 9 weeks be 63 days?

And is there any notice given when a player comes off the DL, or is finished healing?

What does the (100%) mean when you look at injured players on other teams?

Post #: 14
RE: Disabled List - 11/15/2007 10:26:12 PM   
Bustoff

quote:

Joe's Volvo?

That's how he got hurt. The signal was to steal second, but he shifted into second instead.

< Message edited by Bustoff -- 11/15/2007 10:27:47 PM >

"I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation." -- Satchel Paige

Post #: 15
RE: Disabled List - 11/15/2007 10:30:50 PM   
Nukester

Why did you place the player that was injured for 9 weeks on the 15 day DL 3 times? Why wouldnt you put him on the 15 day DL one time and just leave him there until healed ?

(in reply to Bustoff)
Post #: 16
RE: Disabled List - 11/15/2007 10:43:52 PM   
Bustoff

quote:

quote:

Wouldn't 9 weeks be 63 days?

And is there any notice given when a player comes off the DL, or is finished healing?

What does the (100%) mean when you look at injured players on other teams?

9 weeks is 63 days, which would almost be covered by four 15-day stretches. Maybe weeks are shorter on the Left Coast...

When he is eligible to come off the DL--Yes. When he is fully healed--No, but you can look at his player card to see what his status is. One note here: If Joe is eligible to come off the DL but has 2 or 3 days left to heal, you can either activate him and bench him for the three days (or just play him if you want), or simply leave him in limbo on the DL. Every day you play after that, you will be reminded that Joe Bagodonuts is ready to be activated...it's a bit annoying and slows things down but it can be done. Nukester, take note. Another option is to cheat and just heal the player from his bio using the Heal Player button (aka the Oral Roberts button).

The percentage is a measure of how rested the player is, and is more or less independent of his injury status as far as I can tell. I think this feature is only available for pitchers.

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 17
RE: Disabled List - 11/15/2007 10:55:08 PM   
Nukester

quote:

Every day you play after that, you will be reminded that Joe Bagodonuts is ready to be activated...it's a bit annoying and slows things down but it can be done. Nukester, take note.

Right, now I remember. The way I play, I sim one week at a time, and before simming a box pops up with a few different checkboxes. One of them is to pause and remind you that a player is eligible to come off the DL. I just uncheck that box and it sims the week through

< Message edited by Nukester -- 11/15/2007 10:56:10 PM >

(in reply to Bustoff)
Post #: 18
RE: Disabled List - 11/15/2007 10:58:22 PM   
Bustoff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nukester

quote:

Every day you play after that, you will be reminded that Joe Bagodonuts is ready to be activated...it's a bit annoying and slows things down but it can be done. Nukester, take note.

Right, now I remember. The way I play, I sim one week at a time, and before simming a box pops up with a few different checkboxes. One of them is to pause and remind you that a player is eligible to come of off the DL. I just uncheck that box and it sims the week through

Right you are Nukester. I forgot about that setting. Silly me.

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 19
RE: Disabled List - 11/15/2007 11:54:39 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

Okay, about the math, I erred. It was less than that. Also note I went to public school, so there. On the East Coast too, BTW.

On Nukester's point, yes you can technically place him on the 15 and leave him. However, since I manage each game, and just as Bustoff confirmed, I get that pop-up reminder telling he is eligible to come off the DL. One or two times I don't mind, but if it's a 45-day injury, I don't want to deal with that pop-up 30 times.

(in reply to Bustoff)
Post #: 20
RE: Disabled List - 11/15/2007 11:55:34 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bustoff

quote:

Joe's Volvo?

That's how he got hurt. The signal was to steal second, but he shifted into second instead.

Aren't they (Volvos) supposed to be safe?

(in reply to Bustoff)
Post #: 21
RE: Disabled List - 11/15/2007 11:57:14 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

...and on that note, was it not you Bustoff (or someone else perhaps, my memory isn't what it used to be) that taught me how to create new types of injuries in the .XML?  That's fun.

I didn't want to get too out of hand, so I just included 'split ends' and a 'hangnail' (special props to Family Guy for that idea).

Post #: 22
RE: Disabled List - 11/16/2007 12:14:22 AM   
Nukester

quote:

Okay, about the math, I erred. It was less than that. Also note I went to public school, so there. On the East Coast too, BTW.

Oh you poor thing (see location)

quote:

On Nukester's point, yes you can technically place him on the 15 and leave him. However, since I manage each game, and just as Bustoff confirmed, I get that pop-up reminder telling he is eligible to come off the DL. One or two times I don't mind, but if it's a 45-day injury, I don't want to deal with that pop-up 30 times.

Ok, cool. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something by leaving a player there instead of putting him on multiple times

Post #: 23
RE: Disabled List - 11/16/2007 6:18:04 AM   
Bustoff

quote:

...and on that note, was it not you Bustoff (or someone else perhaps, my memory isn't what it used to be) that taught me how to create new types of injuries in the .XML?  That's fun.

I didn't want to get too out of hand, so I just included 'split ends' and a 'hangnail' (special props to Family Guy for that idea).

Guilty as charged, FS. And it is fun. Today I switched "belly button" out for "uvula." Or maybe it was "Volvo," in which case "a long drive to center field" takes on a whole new meaning.

"Split ends" is a good one too...I'll keep it in mind.

Is this thread out of control or what?

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Disabled List Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI