Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Modern Tactics >> Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 11/22/2007 10:28:31 PM   
dutch08

My Review:
I purchased the game immediately on site. An impulse buy. The main reason I have visited Matrix Games over the years was primarily waiting for Combat Leader to arrive. That never materialized, no problem. The crew at Matrix has quite a few old Close Combat fans stuffed in its ranks. Close Combat: Cross of Iron arrived on the scene. I waited, I watched, I read reviews--sold. I purchased Cross of Iron and enjoyed the new campaign.

Now, we come across Close Combat: Modern Tactics. I bought Cross of Iron--it wasn't a brand new Close Combat, but it was fun, a lot of effort went into make it worth our while. I expected no less from CC Modern Tactics. Even if Close Combat: Modern Tactics is just a retread of Road to Baghdad, which was a modded Close Combat V: Invasion Normandy, I should have a lot of fun with this title too. It's Close Combat for goodness-sake, what could possibly go wrong?

So I bought it. Impulse buy. Right out the gate. Easy money. Right?

Wrong. Me=sucker. The reality is that you should never ever buy a game without learning as much about it as possible.

I expected a campaign, but there wasn't one. Bad on me. But it's my $29, I'll live. But I didn't expect pathfinding and infantry movement to be so jacked up. I would have accepted this title as a stripped down version of Road to Baghdad if it just worked like the other Close Combat titles worked. I asked for assistance with horrible pathfinding on a road the pre-mission brief asked I traverse (Ops Center Black) and I got back a replay of the entire contingent of armor and infantry avoiding the road. This alarmed me (as posted in this very forum). For a game with "tactics" in the title, you would think I could at least move a tank from point A to point B (with multiple waypoints attempting to avoid obstacles) without it getting stuck on a tree, another tank, or the little tanker voice telling me to screw off. ("The way is blocked!")

I have a lot of games and wargames cluttered in my office and I have never asked for my money back on a game just because I didn't like it. But this title is buggy. That alone doesn't bother me either. But what does bother me is that the issues I have with this game apparently won't be addressed/fixed. So, now I'm in a situation I don't want to be in. It is my position that the game I purchased is not functioning properly, it's broken, and I want my money refunded. Hopefully Matrix Games understands my position but they made it clear to me that I ain't getting that cash back! So buyer beware.

If nothing else, I will learn to spend my money more wisely in the future, no more impulse buying for me. Sorry Matrix Games, this game doesnt' hold up to Close Combat games we all know and love. Better luck next time. As for those reading, like I said, never buy a title until you read as much as you can about it. Be wary and wise.
Post #: 1
RE: Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 11/22/2007 10:55:03 PM   
Andrew Williams

All posts and comments are being read, assessed and reviewed.

Close Combat Modern Tactics has only been on the shelves for a week, any concerns will not be addressed in a piecemeal manner.

thanks
Andrew

(in reply to dutch08)
Post #: 2
RE: Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 11/23/2007 3:19:49 AM   
jomni

Poor guy. Should have made some research first.  I myself am enjoying the game.  So maybe it's just a matter of preference.

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 3
RE: Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 11/23/2007 2:46:44 PM   
unitalright

i was very angry that no campaign was included in the game, kinda sucks in a big way!

Bad, Bad, Matrix Games for putting this out.

that was the fun factor, seeing how your troops progressed from battle to battle, you statred to care if one of them got shot etc.

some of the AI is bad also, tanks and troops just mill around in the same spot, and dont attack.

ah well rant over, would have liked a refund, but i know that will never happen!!!

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 4
RE: Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 11/25/2007 10:38:02 PM   
pculliton

I also bought this on impulse.  I am still trying to figure out exactly how I feel about it, but coming from the military version of Close Combat, my initial reaction is disappointment.  The TOE feels much more loose after the superbly executed CC:M.  The extra maps are good, but the time limits are awful (yes... I think 30 minutes to clear a village is not enough time to do the job properly).  The new unit graphics feel shoddy (I know -- they're new and their purpose is to move away from the cartoony CC unit icons... but they're pretty awful).  I don't recall the scenario editor being so difficult to use.

I should note that I haven't seen any real bugs yet.

Like I said, I'm still working out how I feel about this game.  I don't want a refund, but I'm definitely looking forward to future improvements.

(in reply to unitalright)
Post #: 5
RE: Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 11/27/2007 4:34:08 AM   
Junshi

Unfortunately, I have to agree with most of the posts on this forum; modern tactics is a disappointment. The no campaign issue is much larger than I would have imagined when I purchased the title, and too my surprise, the pathfinding from the units was just very shoddy. After purchasing over 10 titles from Matrix, this is the one I wished I never bought. I hope a patch comes forth, as well as a Matrix supported campaign to make this title more than what it currently is.....

I hope my voice has an effect,

Junshi

(in reply to pculliton)
Post #: 6
RE: Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 11/28/2007 12:07:44 AM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: Junshi

Junshi

I guess so, between your posts and the preceding ones i have removed it from my basket...for now.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to Junshi)
Post #: 7
RE: Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 11/28/2007 3:55:28 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheHellPatrol

quote:

Junshi

I guess so, between your posts and the preceding ones i have removed it from my basket...for now.

Well, you should also let the posts of people enjoying it effect you. At the price it is selling this is a no brainer.

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 8
RE: Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 11/28/2007 5:48:32 PM   
Yute

I know I posted a "things that bug me" list on another thread but I don't think we should give up MT 2 weeks after it was released. IMHO you really have to play it for a while to get use to it - this is a CC that is different from the rest. I did not expect a learning curve as I have played all the CCs out there, but MT does have one - this is not a bad thing - once you get use to it, the game is a blast! Yes there are some gameplay quirks and I do miss the campaign feature, but it is an evolution of the CC series - perhaps this is the last CC game that the current engine can handle, but I've had fun with it!

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 9
RE: Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 11/28/2007 8:26:20 PM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

Well, you should also let the posts of people enjoying it effect you. At the price it is selling this is a no brainer.
You have a good point...CC has always been in my top 5 gaming category.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Post #: 10
RE: Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 11/28/2007 8:54:35 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

I'm enjoying it anyway. Close Combat 'modern' is something new to me having never played RTB or Marines, but with that in mind CC is CC with the same fun and challenges. Sure pathfinding could be better.. I don't own a game that requires pathfinding where that isn't the case. The lack of a campaign is a non-issue for me. A campaign would have have tied the game down to much to a particular time-frame and setting which just isn't what it is about, IMHO.

Post #: 11
RE: Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 11/29/2007 3:08:03 AM   
SwampYankee68

Pathfinding can't be much worse than Shock Force.........  Can it?!?!? 

"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 12
RE: Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 11/29/2007 5:15:14 AM   
jomni

Nah. CMSF is worse. CMMT is more playable with less baby sitting.

(in reply to SwampYankee68)
Post #: 13
RE: Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 11/29/2007 8:12:04 AM   
zon

quote:

Unfortunately, I have to agree with most of the posts on this forum; modern tactics is a disappointment. The no campaign issue is much larger than I would have imagined when I purchased the title, and too my surprise, the pathfinding from the units was just very shoddy. After purchasing over 10 titles from Matrix, this is the one I wished I never bought. I hope a patch comes forth, as well as a Matrix supported campaign to make this title more than what it currently is.....

Junshi

I know a lot of people dig CC for campaigns, but frankly that's largely an offline pursuit, and the AI just can't keep me interested that long. I see CCMT as an ideal H2H engine, where long campaigns are infrequently done. CC (all games) shines in H2H, and if any of you have not played against another human in CC, then you have no idea what you are missing. Go, try it now. There should be way more people playing this game in Battle HQ!

(in reply to Junshi)
Post #: 14
RE: Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 12/11/2007 11:49:28 PM   
Rotary Crewman

Have just recently purchased CC:COI from yourselves and absolutely love the game. I missed it first time round but had played CC1 and CC5 before. COI is a top game and I had hoped for something Iraq/Modern based. Modern Tactics got me quite excited and I decided to read all about it on the game page here at Matrix. Didn't see anything about a campaign but I assumed they had just missed it out or it was hidden somewhere in the words.

Next I added it to my basket and headed onto the forums. Then I saw there was no campaign. This is huge for me. As someone in the forces who doesn't really get to know others who play CC H2H or get time to find people online then the single player aspect is very important. Removal from my basket followed and I am awaiting an updated version of MT with a campaign or a new game itself to allow us lonely people to play

Keep up the good work Matrix, but for the time being this isn't for me.

Also, are demos an option? There are many games out there I fancy but I have been stung before (Like many others) with games that are bad or just completely over my head.

Thanks
RC

(in reply to dutch08)
Post #: 15
RE: Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... - 12/14/2007 2:57:58 PM   
CptWaspLuca

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

Nah. CMSF is worse. CMMT is more playable with less baby sitting.

I'm very disappointed with CCMT; CMSF is at another level, for me the best game of 2007.
Path-finding and AI in CCMT are the worst thing I have seen in a PC game this year, sorry but I must say this honestly.

< Message edited by CptWasp -- 12/14/2007 2:59:32 PM >

Cpt.Wasp

Member of the NWI staff (http://www.netwargamingitalia.net/)
Proud co-founder of Balena Ludens
(http://www.balenaludens.it/)

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Modern Tactics >> Close Combat: MT Review: No Thanks... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI