Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SP:WaW help: Constantly crashing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> SP:WaW help: Constantly crashing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SP:WaW help: Constantly crashing - 12/5/2007 9:19:17 PM   
gfhuang3

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this topic. I recently purchased SP:WaW but after running it on my vista laptop, the game kept crashing during the game generally when I am firing at a target or the AI is firing at me. This happens on average every other turn on bigger scenarios and campaigns. Also whenever I hit the Y button to set the range, the game freezes and just goes dark. I thought it might be vista so I reinstalled it on my desktop that runs XP, but the same thing is happening. Also I have updated the game with both patches, the older one first than the newer patch and it still is crashing.
Anyone have any advice?

my desktop is about 6 months old and it has up to date drivers for direct x, a good video card so that I can play more recent games like Medieval II or the new Command & Conquer on full detail without a problem.

thanks,

Post #: 1
RE: SP:WaW help: Constantly crashing - 12/6/2007 8:05:47 AM   
chief

gfhuang: First, shut down anything running in the background. SPwaw is an old updated DOS game that wants all your attention and RAM. She's very jealous and dosen't like VIrus checkers, Email scanners etc. running in the background. Also try running it in the Win98 compatibility mode, that also helps. Limit your number of units on the battle field to 200per side (I think thats keereck, if not someone will jump in and keereck moi). Go to your main SPWAW Save folder and clear the steel.prf file, the game will reconstruct same when you start up again.

HTH, if not it'll keep you busy for 5 or 10 minutes, good hunting.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to gfhuang3)
Post #: 2
RE: SP:WaW help: Constantly crashing - 12/6/2007 1:57:57 PM   
gfhuang3

thanks for the help. This may be a dumb question, but how do you run it in Win98 compatibility mode?

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 3
RE: SP:WaW help: Constantly crashing - 12/6/2007 9:48:06 PM   
chief

Go to SPwaw folder, find Mech.exe and right click, on drop down open PROPERTIES, then open Compatibilty tab and the rest should be easy.  "Remember no guarantees."  Good luck

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to gfhuang3)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> SP:WaW help: Constantly crashing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI