Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Finding minor nations?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Finding minor nations? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finding minor nations? - 1/27/2008 4:58:32 PM   
moopere

I am almost embarrassed to ask, but, even though I have a reasonable grasp of geography I am finding that I just can't immediately mentally place all the minor countries in the world....when, during the diplomatic phase a rival major power influences a minor one, is there any way to search for the minor and have the map zoom to it?

Cheers, Moopere

Post #: 1
RE: Finding minor nations? - 1/27/2008 5:17:03 PM   
La Provence

Advice :

Print the map. 

So, you have all informations : port value, minors, borders, you can easily see the mouvment possibility (area numbers between two areas.....

(in reply to moopere)
Post #: 2
RE: Finding minor nations? - 1/27/2008 5:52:22 PM   
moopere

Print the map? Serious? How would I do that? Even if I could, its so big that I probably couldn't read the text unless I had it printed by someone onto an A2 piece of paper.

I've snooped around the different installation sub directories but can't find much thats useful aside from the pdf's of the manual (why are there two of these by the way? They look the same to me).

Cheers, Moopere

(in reply to La Provence)
Post #: 3
RE: Finding minor nations? - 1/27/2008 6:22:42 PM   
nukkxx5058

there is no "search" feature for regions ????

(in reply to moopere)
Post #: 4
RE: Finding minor nations? - 1/27/2008 6:42:41 PM   
AresMars

You can find a playable diplomacy version that we use here;

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/eih/files//EIH_MapV5.gif

CREDIT: to the EiH Yahoo Users Group

I would upload it myself, but the file is too large for this fourm and cannot be zipped smaller.

It might help Matrix to get a copy and post it somewhere accessable to everyone.

It is as accurate I could find and acutally names EVERY area uniquely.

< Message edited by AresMars -- 1/27/2008 6:43:37 PM >

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 5
RE: Finding minor nations? - 1/27/2008 7:42:28 PM   
moopere

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

there is no "search" feature for regions ????

Not that I can see, no.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 6
RE: Finding minor nations? - 1/27/2008 7:44:51 PM   
moopere

quote:

ORIGINAL: AresMars

You can find a playable diplomacy version that we use here;

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/eih/files//EIH_MapV5.gif

CREDIT: to the EiH Yahoo Users Group

I would upload it myself, but the file is too large for this fourm and cannot be zipped smaller.

It might help Matrix to get a copy and post it somewhere accessable to everyone.

It is as accurate I could find and acutally names EVERY area uniquely.

Arg, got to have a login for yahoo groups to get access to that file. Thanks for the pointer though.

This is a bit of a game flaw really - how would anyone without a ton of EiA experience just 'know' where all these little provinces and countries are (or used to be...a lot don't exist any more).

Moopere.

(in reply to AresMars)
Post #: 7
RE: Finding minor nations? - 1/27/2008 8:29:17 PM   
zaquex

good knowledge of european geography and history do help

(in reply to moopere)
Post #: 8
RE: Finding minor nations? - 1/28/2008 12:19:20 AM   
Jimmer

The other thing that needs to be realized is that there is no need to know the map, except in the area around your country (which includes by sea if you have an unblockaded navy).

If you wind up in control of a minor, the system will tell you before you can exit the reinforcement phase. For countries YOU might be interested in, they are all next to you (by definition -- you cannot go to war with a minor unless you can physically access it one turn's movement).

Play against the computer. If you play as France, you'll be in the dominant zone, and thus wind up taking control of the most minors). The first chance you get, bring up the "Diplomatic Reactions for XXX" screen. You can get to this with the ninth button from the left, in the upper left corner of the interface. If you hover over the right button, it says "Show Diplomatic Reactions".

Now, double-click one of the nations in the far left column. This will check all of the nations, so, when the "dice are rolled", you have at least a chance to get some of them. Click OK. 

Now, don't declare war on any countries yourself. Then, hit the "End Current Phase" button (second from left, same set of control buttons). A few majors WILL do some declaring of war, and you are bound to "own" a few of them. However, you won't know this without looking at another screen. But, let's say you are new, and you don't know about that 12th button yet.

When you attempt to end the reinforcement phase, the computer will realize you have not placed the factors for any of your new free state minors. So, one at a time, it will move the screen focus to have that nation in the middle, and prompt you to add the factors. Now, you COULD exit, but this is for learning, so try to add the factors. When you finish with the first, try to exit reinforcement again. The computer will repeat this as often as is needed.

To add factors to a newly acquired minor:

Click on the capital of the country. But, the computer just did that for you, and now it is being stubborn. So, click somewhere else in the country to start the process rolling. A new dialog box shows up in the upper right corner of the main screen area. There is a smaller square box in the upper right corner of this "Selected Nation" dialog box. There's more that this box can tell us, but we're only interested in corps counters (and fleet counters) at this point.

If the nation has a corps counter (or 2), when you click the small square, it will bring up a large grey-black screen, and the corps counter(s) will be towards the left. Pick one or two by clicking them. Then, right-click the grey-black area to close the window (but, leave the corps counter(s)) selected). Then click on some space in the minor country. Usually, the capital will be the right place to put them, so click that spot. The corps counter(s) you pick (and/or fleet counters, if any) will appear where you clicked.

Now, pick one of them and click it. This will select it, putting a thin red border around it. Now, check out the area in the lower left corner of the interface. There are some buttons here, and they change depending on what phase we're in. The upper left button (on the first page, if there are two) is "Add Forces to Unit". Click that. Up pops the "Adding Reinforcements to Unit" box. Here, you can transfer units from the "Reinforcement Pool" to the corps counter you picked. Fill up that corps (as much as it holds, or all of them minus one factor of infantry if it's too big).

Click OK and you are done. The corps is now on map, ready to fight.

You can repeat the process for garrisons, except you don't have to add a corps counter. Instead, click the capital city to highlight it. Then, click the second button from the left in the top row, right next to the one in the last paragraph. This one is titled "Add Forces To Garrison". Add that factor I told you to save.

Now, you have a corps to fight in the field, and a factor to defend the city (in case you lose, which is VERY likely with minor nations).

Play on!

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 9
RE: Finding minor nations? - 1/28/2008 12:20:14 AM   
Jimmer

After you've done THAT a couple dozen times, you'll start to have a better handle on European geography in the early 19th century.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 10
RE: Finding minor nations? - 1/28/2008 2:13:52 AM   
AresMars

I just find reading thea map around your country will give you an idea.....

It does not take long to get to know what is relevant to the county YOU are playing.....

and the education you gain lasts a lifetime! 

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 11
RE: Finding minor nations? - 2/1/2008 3:58:51 AM   
Ted1066

A handy feature that IS in the game is in the country status screen (the third button over will bring it up). Among other things, it lists you conquered minors and your freestates. If you click on the name of the free state in that window, it takes you to the capital of that minor. Very handy for building/placing factors and units.

Cheers,

Ted

(in reply to AresMars)
Post #: 12
RE: Finding minor nations? - 2/1/2008 5:41:48 AM   
delatbabel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

After you've done THAT a couple dozen times, you'll start to have a better handle on European geography in the early 19th century.

No you won't. The EiA map and the EiANW map do not bear a whole lot of resemblance to 19th C Europe, especially if you're talking about the German minor states. I think about 15 of them are represented in the game? In actual fact there were about 300 of them (some no bigger than a small suburb today), the various treaties around 1806 to 1815 reduced that number to about 36, but they didn't coalesce into the various forms represented on the map until the formation of Germany after the Franco-Prussian war of 1870.

If you want a handle on the geography of the German minor states in 1805, print the current map and put it through a shredder, then have it re-assembled by a five year old.

--
Del

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 13
RE: Finding minor nations? - 2/1/2008 10:11:38 AM   
gazfun

Guys
There is a couple of ways of finding those minors, click on the title bar the button which says "show national statistics" when that window come up for you, you will see all those minors that are free states at war with you, conquered states, etc etc, all you have to do is double click on one of those minors, or any country that concerns you, and it will be centred on the screen for you.
The other is the view units table, you can zoom to the places

< Message edited by gazfun -- 2/1/2008 10:14:04 AM >

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Finding minor nations? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI