Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Noobie questions!?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Noobie questions!? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Noobie questions!? - 11/1/2007 12:26:47 AM   
Shogyn

First, great forum people!!
Looking for just a little clarification if someone can please.....I'm a little confused as to what exactly is aircraft support? How/where to get it,etc. Is it supplies,engineers? Also general base support,is that just supplies? And what exactly are resouces? I'm running into all kinds of problems loading troops or aircraft unto ships. I notice either air or base support is low, but I'm having trouble figuring out what each consists of. Is there some kind of chart somewhere that lists everything, becaue I can't seem to find anything in the manual that explains exactly what is needed, or how to, load men,planes,resources,etc.
Any help greatly appreciated Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Noobie questions!? - 11/1/2007 12:37:54 AM   
Terminus

Aircraft support is a general term for all the stuff (mechanics, armourers, ground controllers, whatever) that are necessary to keep an air unit operating. Normal support is the same, but for ground units. Resources is a catch-all term for non-oil natural resources, like rubber or metals.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Shogyn)
Post #: 2
RE: Noobie questions!? - 11/1/2007 1:51:10 AM   
saj42

To expand a little on what 'T' said:

Aviation Support is found in Baseforces and Aviation Regiment units. Typically Baseforces have between 30 and 90 Av Spt, Regts have 180 or 270.
You need 1 Av Spt for each aircraft at a base (up to a max of 250 Av Spt). Looking at a base's info screen will how much Av Spt is required and actually present.

All ground units need support - there are support troops found in all units - but pure combat units don't have enough to function fully. You need HQs and Baseforces to give the extra support troops. If you open a units info screen it will show you on the left column the 'required' and 'actual' support in that unit. On a base's info screen it will show the totol of required and actual for all units in that hex.

To load ground units on ships (generally AKs and APs) they must not belong to a 'RESTRICTED' Command (eg West Coast, Australia for Allies and Home Island for Japan).

Supplies are a separate requirement from the support troops. Supplies are consumed by land and air units to undertake any action (ie move, fight, fly). Again a units and base's info screen will show how much is required and how much is present.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tallyho! -- 11/1/2007 2:11:27 AM >

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to Shogyn)
Post #: 3
RE: Noobie questions!? - 11/1/2007 3:05:57 AM   
Shogyn

Thx for the replies!

Still wondering?...If the resources are just a catch-all phrase, are they actually needed for anything? Because I've only noticed one instance where I had the option to load them.
Also... I can never seem to load the base forces,which I assume are most of the time ENG units. I know I need ENG units on bases to increase the ports and airfields, but is there a way to be able to relocate base forces?
So also you're saying that anything that is tied to West Coast,or Australia,cannot be loaded correct? I can't shake the feeling that I'm totally missing something here, on what I can move and what I can't. Then there's units that are 'static'.....?
I think what I really need is a very detailed compendium on how to do all the minor little things,and all the things I need to watch for. The manual doesn't seem to go into that much depth.

I appreciate your efforts to inform me though. thx again.

(in reply to Shogyn)
Post #: 4
RE: Noobie questions!? - 11/1/2007 3:20:02 AM   
Terminus

If you play Japan, you need Resources and Oil to keep Japan's industry going. So it's most certainly vital; this was, after all, why Japan went to war in the first place.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Shogyn)
Post #: 5
RE: Noobie questions!? - 11/1/2007 3:22:53 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shogyn

Thx for the replies!

Still wondering?...If the resources are just a catch-all phrase, are they actually needed for anything? Because I've only noticed one instance where I had the option to load them.
Also... I can never seem to load the base forces,which I assume are most of the time ENG units. I know I need ENG units on bases to increase the ports and airfields, but is there a way to be able to relocate base forces?
So also you're saying that anything that is tied to West Coast,or Australia,cannot be loaded correct? I can't shake the feeling that I'm totally missing something here, on what I can move and what I can't. Then there's units that are 'static'.....?
I think what I really need is a very detailed compendium on how to do all the minor little things,and all the things I need to watch for. The manual doesn't seem to go into that much depth.

I appreciate your efforts to inform me though. thx again.

Resources are needed by industry (along with oil) to make things - like supplies. Mainly the Japanese are concerned with this. If you bring oil and resources to factories in Australia, it will help with your supply situation.

Static units have things in them that can't be moved - like guns emplaced in concrete and steel.

Each land unit is assigned to a command like SE ASIA, CENTRAL PACIFIC, SOUTH PACIFIC, SW PACIFIC, etc. These (and some others) are unrestricted commands - units can be loaded onto ships or aircraft.

Some of these are restricted commanded like ABDA, USAAFE, WEST COAST, etc. These units can't be loaded onto ships or aircraft.

You can expend Political Points (PP) to have these units switch to another unrestricted command - click on the command to bring up a menu to show how many PPs this will cost. Check the manual for which commands are not restricted (it can also vary in different mods)

EDIT: From your post, i see you are playing Allies - if you are playing Japan, things get considerably more complex as you have to manage the industry/economy.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 11/1/2007 3:29:51 AM >

(in reply to Shogyn)
Post #: 6
RE: Noobie questions!? - 11/1/2007 5:47:28 AM   
Gibbons

Consider supplies food. As noted above 'supplies' in this game include all consumable material other than oil and fuel. If you like throw in gloves, boots, soap, water, etc...everything other than oil or fuel that the military consumes doing its thing.

Consider 'resources' as labor or man hours. Probably not an exact analogy but it will do. This is only used by factories at a few bases to produce things.

Eash side has factories that produce things like aircraft. These factories need oil and resources (labor) to produce stuff. As allies the U.S. mainland produces lots of oil and labor, no worries. You do however need to ship oil and/or resources to Australia to keep the factories at Sydney and Melbourne operating at capacity. Look in the base info pane (above, but for any base) and find the listing on the left for 'oil storage' and 'resource storage'.

The manual is lacking in many areas and you sometimes just have to slowly plug along in the dark as happened in the real war. Thats how I look at it anyway.

Gibbons

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 7
RE: Noobie questions!? - 11/1/2007 8:02:12 AM   
erstad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gibbons

Consider 'resources' as labor or man hours. Probably not an exact analogy but it will do. This is only used by factories at a few bases to produce things.

Um, more like rubber, ore, wood, what-not. (Kind of hard to load an AK full of "man-hours"!)

(in reply to Gibbons)
Post #: 8
RE: Noobie questions!? - 11/1/2007 2:12:38 PM   
rtrapasso

Supplies include AVIATION FUEL/GASOLINE - except in the game, PT boats apparently run off diesel apparently (you use use FUEL, not SUPPLY when you refuel PTs). Supplies include everything from food to bullets to toilet paper... the game doesn't differentiate and some people refer to it as the INSTACRAP system: just dump supply somewhere and it instantly supplies whatever cr@p you need.

You don't need FUEL at airbases - you use up supply on air missions. FUEL is just used for naval ships.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 9
RE: Noobie questions!? - 11/1/2007 4:17:57 PM   
Mynok

Which is why even as Japan I always have a huge surplus of fuel laying about.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 10
RE: Noobie questions!? - 11/1/2007 8:14:36 PM   
Dino

quote:

PT boats apparently run off diesel...

...and are made out of toilet paper.

quote:

INSTACRAP system: just dump supply somewhere and it instantly supplies whatever cr@p you need.

Yep...including PT boats.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 11
RE: Noobie questions!? - 11/2/2007 2:59:02 PM   
Shogyn

Great info guys! It's people like you that keep the noobies well enough informed that they stick with it,eventually becoming veterens of the game,thereby keeping the great games going. Much appreciated.

I understand all the logistics involved,eg ships require fuel,supplies are every little thing needed to run a base,aviation support to get planes in the air,etc. It's really the production side of it that I'm questioning more I guess....like there are only so many bases with industry,and these need resources to operate. Am I taking resources from any base with industry to ship to another base that has industry,or do all the resources have to come from the mainland(as allies)? It's an extremely long journey from San Diego to Australia! Maybe I need to set up a weekly resource run on that route? And what of all the others? How am I supposed to supply every base that has industry with resources?

I apologize for all the questions, but I'm finding myself starting my campaign over and over again,I haven't reached a week into it in half a dozen tries as yet. I keep starting over when I realize there's something important I've neglected to set up.

Thx again!
Dave

(in reply to Dino)
Post #: 12
RE: Noobie questions!? - 11/2/2007 3:11:07 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shogyn

Great info guys! It's people like you that keep the noobies well enough informed that they stick with it,eventually becoming veterens of the game,thereby keeping the great games going. Much appreciated.

I understand all the logistics involved,eg ships require fuel,supplies are every little thing needed to run a base,aviation support to get planes in the air,etc. It's really the production side of it that I'm questioning more I guess....like there are only so many bases with industry,and these need resources to operate. Am I taking resources from any base with industry to ship to another base that has industry,or do all the resources have to come from the mainland(as allies)? It's an extremely long journey from San Diego to Australia! Maybe I need to set up a weekly resource run on that route? And what of all the others? How am I supposed to supply every base that has industry with resources?

I apologize for all the questions, but I'm finding myself starting my campaign over and over again,I haven't reached a week into it in half a dozen tries as yet. I keep starting over when I realize there's something important I've neglected to set up.

Thx again!
Dave

UNLESS you are playing Japan (or RHS) - just dump some oil onto the east coast of Australia (1 or 2 large tankers a month are sufficient). Otherwise, the Allied economy runs itself and there is really nothing to do.

At the beginning of the game, take oil from the Dutch East Indies and run it to Australia (aka Oz) - you will need to get it to the east coast as it won't automatically distribute from Darwin or Perth (elsewhere it automatically moves around). Oil to Oz will run your industry (giving supplies and fuel) and decrease shipping requirements, and keeps the Japanese from using them for THEIR supply, fuel, aircraft, etc. production. Japan has a much more complicated problem because they DO have to manage their economy in detail.

The main thing is to get supplies and fuel to your bases and troops... if you don't have supply, your troops won't fight well, and will eventually wither and die. This is crucial in China - keep the Burma road open as long as you can, and reopen it as soon as you can if it is closed.

Players normally will make some large supply hubs (Pearl Harbor, Suva, Noumea, Wellington, etc.) and distribute supplies locally from the hubs. You need 20000 supply to get replacements (for aircraft, troops, etc.)

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 11/2/2007 3:12:47 PM >

(in reply to Shogyn)
Post #: 13
RE: Noobie questions!? - 12/28/2007 10:56:49 PM   
madgamer2

you might try the tutorial's for some help takes a bit of time but it might get you started

Lawrence

(in reply to Shogyn)
Post #: 14
RE: Noobie questions!? - 12/29/2007 3:12:20 AM   
hvymtl13

Later in the game when/if you knock over some Cities that have resources and Oil, and you should have some surplus AK's and if your lucky a few tankers. Load them up and bring those resources.oil to some of your major manufatcuring cities. I can't be sure but I do think that it helps your production even as Allied. This is what I do when I've gained the intiative and have a few weeks in between gearing up for the next set of offensives. But Never risk your sealift capacity on reources as Allied. ie not from your frontline bases that expose your ships to air and naval attack.

The Aviation support question was answered already. Just one thing to add is that of course not all engineers provide Aviation support. Ususally it is a 1 to 1 basis, 30 aviation support will support 30 aircraft. A few more planes and most will still fly but repair will be slower. Let me know if you find something to do with all thos Sea-Bee engineers later in the game.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Noobie questions!? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI