Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Systematic approach

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Systematic approach Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Systematic approach - 10/9/2001 5:46:00 AM   
hal

I read the postings in this part of the forum and found a lot of interesting input. But I guess in this stage we lack kind of a structure in our thoughts about what the game should look like. i guess first we should think about a basic concept of the game before thinking about the details like morale etc. If we leave the modern warfare games (WW I and later) aside I can recall only two games that deal with warefare and try to realise a historic approach. EUROPA UNIVERSALIS and SHOGUN - TOTAL WAR. These two are rather different and seem to represent two different streams. EU is a game of grand strategy. The game map covers the whole world. It starts 1492 and ends 1792. The strategic and diplomatic part of the game is comparably excellent, but the military part ist under-developed. You build up armies (combined from infantry, cavalry and artillery) or navies (with galleys, warships and transports) and when they fight you have no influence on the battle itself, but get told who won. Sometimes you don't understand why you lost with an army ten times as large as the enemy or won with one ten times weaker. EU is real time based but gives you the opportunity to assign all necessary orders and make diplomacy when the game is paused.
So its actually a mixture between turnbased and real time. STW is a game that concentrates on tactical warefare - on the possibility to fight battles by yourself in grand detail (One Soldier displayed on the screen means one soldier in reality). The strategic and diplomatic part of the game ist kind of under-developed. STW is turnbased except in the battle mode. Once a battle started it can't be stopped - which is realistic and adds tension to the game. Now - what should NAPOLEONIC WARS look like??? This depends on variuos facts: -What will Matrix and SPME be able to realize?
-What is their intention with the game - except creating a best seller ?
-Which concept will be the one to attract most buyers?
-How diverse can a computergame be in 2002?
-How much detail can be added to a game? If we want a historically correct game we should think about the following items: 1. Economy. Economy played an important role at that time (Just think of Nepoleons "continental blockade" to prevent the british trade or his attempt to control Britains trade route through Egypt).
2. Nationalism. The French armies were very successful - even the badly equipped Revolutionary Troops - because they fought for their country, for their Nation. Same for the Prussians after 1813.
3. Technology. The beginning of the industrial revolution in Great Bitain strenghened their Economy and so helped them gather resources while France and others where more or less countries of peasants.
4. Military leadership. Without Napoleon (of course ), Nelson, Wellington, Archduke Charles, Blücher and many more, history would have gone different.
5. Population: The more Inhabitants, the more soldiers.
6. Natural resources: Ships have to be built, guns to be made, economic goods for trade are necessary.
7. Diplomacy and relations: Some countries were forced into alliances with France even if the didn't really want to, some were bribed, some were against france all the time.
8. Marching routes, speeds and supply lines. Where get armies from what they need on their marches. Where can they march through without suffering to much losses? How quick can they move from one point to another. Waterloo could have ended diferent if only Grouchy's corps had arrived in time or Blücher's hadn't. The question now is: What could be built into the game, what should be built into the game and what should be left out. I could imagine a game based on a set of "zoom-options", that allow to view the map in different scales. You could choose either a "dipolomatic view", based on the whole game map, a "national view" based on countries, a "provincial view" based on provinces and a detailed "battle view" of the area, where the actual battle takes place. The different management options to manage the development of economy, military, naval, population etc. should be structured similar. That means you could assign general orders to develop navies or armies or specific branches of economy or you could manage these by yourself in several steps of detail.
This could be simular to giving orders to a minister: "Develop economy in province x or y" or "Build shipyards in town a and town b", "Build up an army of 50.000 an send them to province z", "Get me 25.000 Grenadiers, 5.000 Dragoons and 2.000 Hussars in province c", and so on.
These orders could sometimes be very detailed and sometimes only general with the AI determining the details.
The orders to your military units should be handled the same way. Like "Get my troops in province z together at town y immeditately" or "Move the 7th Light dragoons to town a". The different levels of detail in management could be connected to the different view options. For example: In provincial view you can handle the details of eonomy or troop movement in this patricular province by giving building or moving orders based on towns or cities. In national view orders based on whole provinces, and in strategic view orders based on your whole country. So in national view you would see an icon representing your armies in each province and in provincial view where the regiments or other units exactly are located. The battle view could be simular to STW's battle view, where you can move your units on a very realistic battleground in real time. Diplomacy should have only one stage of detail and always be managed by the player directly. At that stage I haven't thougt about interface or other details, because I don't know, if my thougts could be realised at all. i would be very interested to hear the opinions of the developers as well as my fellow gamers and board members. Huh - quite a long post - hope anyone will reach this point at all [ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: hal ]

Post #: 1
- 10/9/2001 6:42:00 AM   
Marshall Ellis

Hal: Awesome input! (Yes, I did reach that point at the bottom). I agree with your diplomacy points. Diplomacy at that time was confusing to say the least. In my research, I have found several occasions where armies switched sides almost overnight. This is an interesting situation to emulate in a TBWG. We're also looking at zooming capabilities to allow better more organized views of individual areas. This is a must since there can be multiple nations and multiple units in each area. A zoom will allow the player to easier select and perform actions on units. If you wouldn't mind, tell me what your favorite wargames are and why? Was it the ones you mentioned in your post or were they examples? Thank you Marshall "I have tasted command, I cannot give it up"

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to hal)
Post #: 2
- 10/11/2001 4:30:00 AM   
hal

Hi Marshall, thanks for your comments.
Yes, these two are my favorite wargames for the following reasons: EU: Paradox managed to deliver a historically correct (as far as possible - of course there were lots of simplifications to do with the small german italian states and the various non-european empires) environment. A thing I'm really impressed by is how they manage to build in historical national tendencies in single player without affecting the effects on other countries by your decicions as a player. Spain always tries to start off colonization with the south american provinces, Portugal with some places along the african coast and Brazil, England and France meet in Northern America and in India, while England is alone along the Australian coast. But this doesn't mean, that it never hapens another way, it's just more likely to happen with historical correct tendecies. I love that very much. The AI I consider quite good, even if I dislike the "badboy-point-system", that makes it impossible for a successfuly conquering country to have war declared by just one single opponent. If you accept another countries request for assistance in a war, you end up with several coalitions declaring war at you, and if you make peace with the one, the next stands there to declare war on you so you find yourself in a never ending chain of wars. A bit to unrealistic. But in summary it's great fun to play this game for its never ending number of variancies - every game is different and seems new, when you play it. STW is my other favorite wargame because of its incredible Battle interface in really beautiful and near photo-realistic graphics. When you have your nearly 2000 men army moving across the battlefield, storming down a hill and hitting the enemy or nearly 1000 heavy cavalry blowing the enemy away in that landscape must this be the dream of every wargamer. The fascinating thing about it is, that every small figure on the screen is not a symbol for a unit but a picture of one single soldier. This one-to-one relation makes these battles so realistic.
Unfortunately a big factor in the situation in Japan during the Sengoku Period is hardly existant at all: Diplomacy. You can have alliances with other Daimyos, but this does not make it more unlikely that they will attack you. Diplomacy here should be more diversified, with specific targets and goals when you have alliances with other parties. There is another wargame i like because of its subject and the beautiful and realistic graphics. That's Talonsofts AGE OF SAIL II. Unfortunately its quite buggy and the single player missions are not enough. But it could have been a really good game if thought and made to the conclusion. It looks more like a half-finished Beta. But it's fun, though. Another game I would count into this genre is Microproses BIRTH OF THE FEDERATION. In case you don't know it: its based on Gene Roddenberrys Universe. You can play as either Federation, Klingons, Cardassians, Romulans or Ferengi and have to conquer the Galaxy by colonising and developing solar systems, developing science for building better ships and facilities and making diplomacy with the other races. The AI is ok but not brilliant. What this game has is a separation between strategic view (the whole galaxy) and battle view (in 3D with nicely rendered ship models). Here the focus is on strategy and the battle mode is as underdeveloped as the strategy and diplomacy are in STW. The conclusion for me is: The perfect game would give the player the chance to focus on what he wants: Strategy, Development and Diplomacy or detailed Battle Management or both - newly decided for every game or even changing during the play.
The players Goal must be to build up and rule an empire with all facettes. Economy, population management, Military and diplomacy. For being able to handle that he must have a number of assistants which he can use more or less, with some - but not to much - items he WILL HAVE to handle by himself. For example: In the beginning of playing the game it might be really interesting building up your provinces in detail but as you progress you want to have some automatisms you can configure so you will get the desired result without having to give every single order by yourself. Makes it realistic because every ruler has his counselers, minsters and gouverners to take out his orders - and they do it more or less.
For some people it might be interesting to fight all battles by themselves, others might want to have Battle No. 125 automatically calculated - either for watching how the battle goes on and what his Generals do (off-hand-mode)or just for being told the result. It could be interesting watching what your orders result into. That your anticipation is needed about what you do in population management. That you could experiment with lower taxes for families with children wich might result in more population but also in not enough food and the necessity of importing goods or conquering new provinces - just as an example. The more I write on, the more I begin to believe that the - let me call it "relational web" will be the heart of the game. The relations between decisions made by players or the AI and the results they produce and the results these results produce to influence your further decisions and so on. A hard piece of work to determine what to include and how - and then to balance it.
---------------------------------------
But I guess the main goal should be to put the player in the position of a ruler of a country at that time - as intense and close to "historically correct" as possible. AND THATS THE NEW THING - NO OTHER GAME DID THAT - AS FAR AS I KNOW.
--------------------------------------- Grouped besides that we should have a really good Battle Engine of at least STW Quality (best would be one for Land and Sea Battles). And - the game map should be world wide - I write this, knowing that it would hardly be possible - especially as there are screens already with the upcoming game map. If Matrix and SPME are willing to try to achieve a goal like that it surely will be a bit to chew. A long post again - and I feel it might not be the last one. Note to developers: BTW - I have a large library about navies and armies (incl. uniforms) of that period - I would be glad if i could be helpful.

(in reply to hal)
Post #: 3
- 10/24/2001 7:51:00 AM   
Marshall Ellis

Hal: You seem to be a pretty experienced wargamer indeed! Your posts are not long enough. I myself am not familiar with the games you mentioned but will be. I've always seen two groups in combat interfaces. The standard Panzer General (You attack and damage the defender) and the Blue and Gray (Impressions Civil War game approx 1997?) where you move strategically and have the ability to control every unit real-time during combat. Even though The Blue and Gray is an older game, I thought the combat interface at that time was good and still gave you the option to have the computer resolve combat. I'm always fighting with myself over the "How much tactical control should the player have during combat?" question. Please keep your posts coming...! Thank you

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to hal)
Post #: 4
- 10/24/2001 11:19:00 AM   
Warpup

I haven't bought "Shogun: Total War", but it sounds like it's got something that would be very important in Napoleonics: the visual impact of battle. Napoleonics has a very devoted following in miniatures. It's eye candy for the pagentry of the carnage. That should be captured. On the other hand, one of the facinating topics of Napoleonics is the enterplay of leadership. On the strategic level, perhaps there should be a limited ability to control what distant subordinates will do, as in I-Magic's "The American Civil War." I'm on the Matrix forums because on Pacific War. A modern computer could certainly handle keeping track of every individual battalion, battery, cavalry squadron, and ship in the Napoleonic Wars, with manpower tracked to the individual man. Sound nuts? If Talonsoft's Napoleonic tactical games can do it, why not a strategic game? It's not necessary to track manpower strength in individual men, but you could almost do that in Pacific War a dozen years ago. Now we have screaming processor speed and massive data storage. So, why not?

(in reply to hal)
Post #: 5
- 10/25/2001 4:52:00 AM   
haldore

Hello all: I agree with Hal about Shogun Total War. It really does have an incredible Battle interface, but the Strategic part of the game really lacks any depth. I was thinking that maybe Matrix should license the Battle Interface engine from Creative Assembly (creators of Shogun), and develop the Strategic parts of the game themselves. That way we get the best of both worlds .

Haldore

(in reply to hal)
Post #: 6
- 10/26/2001 1:28:00 AM   
Whitey

all this looks great to me keep up the good work guys

Webmaster - Burnsides Bridge
SMG/SMA Member - The Angle Forums
SMG/SMA/W:NLB/A:NGV Member

(in reply to hal)
Post #: 7
- 10/26/2001 4:24:00 AM   
ABPDenmark

I think this game has the possibility to be awesome. I feel that this game could be the first truly strategic game. To date there have been made plenty of tactical games like STW and I really don't think we need more.
I think focus should be put on making overall strategic decisions and not whether this soldier should be here or there. With this game I think a very important feature will be multi-player games. The game should encourage players to work together and talk together and make real political alliances. Will the game have a political reputation aspect. Will players need "reasons" to go to war and will it be political suicide to make backstabbing acts. Will players have incentives to "do the right thing". Another very important issue is how to get players together and keep games running. A widespread problem with many PBEM games of EiA or EiH is that they can progress very slowly and get defunct if players quit when they play bad or feel teamed up on. For instance how would it be prevented that two friends playing England and France would work together or make alliances which frankly would be historical incorrect and through of the balance of the game. [ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: ABPDenmark ] [ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: ABPDenmark ]

(in reply to hal)
Post #: 8
- 10/26/2001 7:00:00 AM   
hal

Marshall:
Hi, nice to hear from you again - I thought I might have been left alone. In concerns of your thought about how much control a player should have in tactical combat I believe that there is one basic guideline for that - and that is realism.
So the player should be put in the situation of a leader of battle of that time as realistic as possible. Though there are some items to be thought about:
1. Human failure: It often happened that even tactical orders could not reach the right person or were not carried out in an appropriate way - to build this feature in could add realism but also frustration for the player.
2. Visibility: when a battle at that time took place the battlefield was covered with fog very quickly and in most times it was not possible to realise where the anemy exactly was - I think it would be wrong to stick to much to realism in this case.(A funny thought to create beautifully rendered armies just for covering them with fog after the first few minutes of a battle). Of course there should be fog but not to much to view all details of the battlefield. (In this case also STW is a good example - they have musketeers and when theyy fire, there is just enough fog for the right feeling).
3. Information: How large is the enemies army, what kind of troops are approching? It could also get boring for the player, to see himself confronted with an anonymous mass of troops all the time. In STW they have left the choice to the player to either be able to move the camera over the whole battlefield and examining the enemies troops or switch on kind of a limitation, which makes it necessary to move some faster units to a certain point to examin it. Besides of these three items I think the player should have the same kind of control a general in that era had. Issuing orders to single units (regiments or batteries) or groups of units (brigades or divisions). The "ordonnance" who transports the orders should be the mouse and/ or keyboard controls. Again the STW system is role model like. The only item with their battle engine is the question, how many troops it will be able to handle on the battlefield.
The STW battles are comparably small (up to 6000 soldiers on the field) In the Napoleonoc Era this would hardly be called a battle at all. NW should be able to simulate battles with up to 100.000 soldiers or more. This could require some changes.
In STW every single soldier is visible on the field - but with 100.000 small, rendered soldiers the battlefield would be huge, you would probably need a big big computer with loads of RAM-MB's - hardly possible. I wonder if there could be made a regiment or battalion-like unit which moves in a kind of organic matter. I mean in the beginning it might be in order of battle like a square or a row. When it moves it can change formation in relation to enemy fire or -contact, terrain limitations, fatigue etc. It could also shrink due to suffered losses. After the battle it could be united with another shaken unit to form a new battalion. The visible impression of this unit could be a mass of small dots wich represent the individual soldiers, like seen from a plane. These units could be given some base colors to represent their uniforms and small flags to rcognise which unit it is.
But again - the visual impression should be like a mass of soldiers seen from a high viewpoint - no abstraction in this. Photorealism should be the goal (although hard to reach). Behind this link (I hope it will work) you will find a book cover of an Osprey book, which illustrates a bit how i could magine the battlefield view in the larges scale view - of course there should be the possibility to go closer into detail.
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/cgi/showimage.pl?image=/images/titlecovers/P2854AL.JPG
Warpup:
I completely agree with your first statement, although there might be some limitations due to the scale of the battlefield and the amount of visual data an average PC would be able to calculate. I'm not sure about your second item. As mentioned above this should be handeled with care, because if you don't make any mistake in commanding your troops and everything seems to turn out fine and then you lose a batte because the AI decides, that one of your subordinates fails in carrying out your oder, you might be "bloody pissed" - I would at least. Yout third item should not be a big problem in our days - I agree with you - it's just mathematical calculations.
Haldore:
Read above - I'm not sure if the STW battle engine could perform well in the specific (and different tasks) of the upcoming game. But maybe it could be reconfigured or extended.
ABPDenmark:
I don't completely agree with you - if you a looking for a purely strategical game you might like EUROPA UNIVERSALIS, but I think the comination of both, strategy and tactics could make the game outstanding. But the player should have the choice (I mentioned this in one of my other posts) to avoid tactical battles and have them calculated by the AI - but again, it should be the players chaice wether to take his fates on the battlefield or in naval combat in his own hands of have them fought by his "generals or admirals". In concern of multiplayer games I must say, that i have absolutely no experience with them so I can't take part in this discussion. Sorry. BTW - Mashall
what is your function in the developing process of the game?
Can you tell me, if there really is a chance to take influence on the looks of the upcoming NW of are main decisions already made? Is this forum just a "discussion club" of interested people or is it really possible to take part in the developing process of the game? Take a look at the EUROPA UNIVERSALIS II forum at http://www.europa-universalis.com and you will know what I mean. Please don't take this as an offence - It's nice to talk to all of you but my time is quite limited - I have my own shop here where i live, loads of work - and I don't just want to share my thoughts without creating any useful input into the developing process of the game. Otherwise I'd better get some more of the sleep I'm lacking. But I'm willing to take this time if i can provide some useful input - although I'd prefer to communicate in a more direct way (ICQ?). Hope to hear from you soon and best wishes to all posters in this forum. [ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: hal ]

(in reply to hal)
Post #: 9
- 10/26/2001 9:58:00 AM   
Warpup

On the topic of "Organic Units" that manuever and change formation in the graphics, don't the units in "Cossacks: European Wars" already do this??? With respect to control over subordinates, the lack of control over subordinates was critical in this period. It was fatal for Napoleon to try and control the war in Spain from Paris, let along from the road to Moscow. Even when Nappy was on the same front he could not keep Vandamme from walking into a trap or Ney from losing a battle. If the game is widely multi-player, that is, with multiple players per side and per nation, then that's not such a big problem. But with one player per nation or per side, lack of command control is critical.

(in reply to hal)
Post #: 10
- 10/27/2001 8:23:00 AM   
John Hutton

Hi Marshall (and everyone else), congratulations on some great posts. This is a big topic, and one that needs consideration from obsessive compulsives likes ourselves. Two odd things of personal similarity: I too have an overly large collection of Napoleonic texts (with a naval slant - and a full collection of Patrick O’Brian novels), and I too would list EU and Shogun as my two favourite games at present (although I must admit that I love Steel Panthers, and have just had a phase of playing it). Anyway, down to business. BASIC CONCEPTIONS:
The fundamental starting block with the design of a Napoleonic game such as that mooted by Matrix is the focus of HOW it is to be played:
1) an individual with PC “at home” kind of game, with a good AI, and the additional potential to be played over the internet with others;
2) a game that is less satisfying as an individual player, but which has very good multi-player functions and is built around these functions. If the former (which is where I assume most of the money would currently come from, given the state of game play at present), then there is no problem having a multi-levelled strategic and tactical game (aka., Shogun, with maps and an interface like EU, and with kick-ass design to make it all work). The individual can simply save games, come back to them when he wants, and enjoy a Grand Campaign of, say, 1796 to 1815, that takes 20-40 hours or so to get through. [I would not like to guess how much time a full campaign of EU or STW actually takes to play (to work that out would simply commit me to the gym for the rest of my natural life as compensation).] If the latter, though, a whole range of considerations come into play. For instance, is it really practical to have a tactical level game like STW within the strategic? Or is something more simplistic (an example of which I can’t think of - Colonization? perhaps) more practical? If the game is designed to be played on line, what mechanisms would exist for the players to leave a game at a certain point, and come back to it? Saving? Turn based perhaps, rather than semi real time. Could you have players take over each other for a bit (if allied), could you have the AI take over if necessary? I don’t think we have ever seen a good strategic game designed with web-play environments principally in mind, so I would guess that this is not what Matrix would be planning. The thing with the Napoleonic period in particular is that you are talking about at leave 3 to 5 players - GB, France, Austria, Russia, Prussia, then also Spain, Turkey, and Sweden perhaps. This is more difficult to cater to as well. DESIGN RANTS: These are some brief ideas on some of the matters raised so far: 1. Economy. Keep it simple, but take note of historical reality because the history provides really cool stuff to build into game mechanisms. EU is by far the best economic modelling of a computer game so far, so the designers should certainly take note. Examples (although I might have to check some of these as my memory can be a bit shaky): the governments of the C18th to C19th got their revenue principally from land taxes, governmental monopolies (e.g., making soap!) and customs. England introduced the first ever income tax in the late 1790s, to raise money to fight the French. No other countries were brave enough (or had the internal infrastructure to do so) in the entire period. This made trade very important, and it was the growth in trade that provided GB with such a high revenue stream. However, some countries (Austria for instance) maintained a mercantilist economic policy, and only traded internally. They believed that trade principally assisted enemy states and sapped the strength of the nation. They raised additional money by printing it - and suffered massive inflation. They also received massive loans from GB. However, it actually worked reasonably well for them because their recruitment system was more feudal. France had a total aversion to borrowing money at all - but remained solvent through most of the wars. Napoleon, and the French economy in general, was assisted by a series of very good harvests between 1805 and 1808. These could provide models that players, as the government, could chose to introduce - e.g. ‘free trade’ policy, ‘mercantilist’, new monopolies, new trading ventures, state-sponsored industrialisation. 2. Military. The historians mostly agree right now that France kicked ass principally because she had developed a corp and division structure that was much more flexible that her opposition. Warfare became a war of manoeuvre - Napoleon was able to delegate ‘corps’ to key marshals, who were then able to do creative things on the battlefield, etc., etc. Napoleon was, admittedly, very good at using the tools at hand. It took until 1809 - 1812 for military reforms in Austria and Prussia to catch up, and it is only then that the allies were able to reply to the French military machine. Armies also got bigger, and somewhat more sluggish. The British never adopted corps, but their armies were small enough as to not really matter, and they had a much better system of supply which meant that a single body of troops could stay together along the same line of march (French armies spread out in central Europe because of the foraging problems, and the fact that the roads were crap). This creates the potential for game mechanisms based on manoeuvre - and particular characteristics that nations can adopt, or reforms that can be developed, a kind of technology tree, but historically accurate. There were also innovations on the battlefield that helped: e.g., good light infantry, ‘order mixed’, getting rid of battalion guns, mixing cavalry supports into infantry divisions (e.g., divisional cavalry, rather than massed cavalry reserves), grand batteries, … the list is endless. Each ‘technology’ could be given various advantages, or disadvantages. Actually, I better stop ranting now, and make better use of my Saturday - playing games, that is. Things I don’t want to see:
a) A Napoleonic re-hash of Age of Empires, which is all Cossacks is (yuck);
b) A silly tactical level game that ruins a good strategic, that might be real time, but which is not true to the battlefield structures of the day;
c) A game without a good economic system, even if the rest of the world is a set of trading zones, sea-lanes, and colonies, without the same kind of strategic map as Europe;
d) A crappy AI! Yours, John. ps. I really should think about getting myself a clever nick-name, like Warpup or something.

(in reply to hal)
Post #: 11
- 10/29/2001 1:11:00 AM   
strategy

Hmm. I couldn't really decide on whether to reply to this topic or not, since I really don't want to appear self-promoting or anything like that, but here goes anyway... Personally, I have played Europa Universalis for 3-4 months, and while I consider it a fun game, I do feel that it has about as much to do with history as Civilization does; i.e., nothing but the names. I dropped the game finally after I was well on the way to conquoring the world with Iceland as my home state in one game... Shogun : Total War simmilarly ended up on the shelf; very much fun, but very little realism. But then again, I don't think they claim to be realistic - my main dissappointment with them was the extremely boring strategic side of the game, and the way it always boiled down to beating hordes upon hordes of the enemy with the same few high-quality armies. For my own take on what a strategy game should be like, visit my web page. But essentially, I feel that one should be able to "feel" that one is in the shoes of the General, Head-of-State, or whoever one is supposed to be representing in the game - and if one is playing a "historic" game, experience some of the pressures and problems that faced that person. This is essentially where I feel EU fails miserably; whereas STW does quite well in this respect, as long as one is on the tactical battlefield (the strategic side is just RISK). I think the original concept for Frank Hunter's game (which this one is heir to?), was very strong, based as it was on the ideas of Empires in Arms. I think being based (or lending concepts) from a board game is quite good, as long as one does not go overboard and totally ignores the potential of the computer (which is what EU essentially did, in my opinion). Regards, /Strategy [ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: strategy ]

Michael Akinde / Strategy
Imperium - Rise of Rome (http://www.fenrir.dk/imperium/)

(in reply to hal)
Post #: 12
- 11/4/2001 9:08:00 AM   
grumbler

I have been struggling with the issues invloved in both strategic games (running a PBEM series called "Thunder at Twilight" on the late colonial to WWI era) and tactical games (I wrote "Legacy of Glory II, a miniatures set), and I have some thoughts on how the game might be set up. First, I think it would work best if the player had some historical counterpart. One might play Napoleon, and have lots of options as to how much control one had over the diplomatic, economic, and military fields, but would still be stuck with a single persona and be uable to be in two places at once. This would speed gameplay and make the players' decisions as to where they were going to place themselves significant, adding an element of fun. Seond, I think that the game should not present absolute answers to anything. All player decisions should be a sort of compromise. That preserve replyability and more accurately reflects the real world. Players should not be able to unlimber heavy artillery exactly 1 meter outside the range of the enemy's medium artillery and bombard them into ruin. Third, I think that the game should reflect the constraints that historical leaders faced. Attacking in mid-summer should be "bad" because one's own new recruits haven't filled the ranks yet (the harvest being weeks off yet), and attacking in mid-winter should reflect the problems that forced historical generals into winter quarters. Fourth, an accurate strategic consumption model is a must. Every march had its share of stragglers, and every rest its share of men rejoining the ranks. The Napoleonic wars was a succession of generals complaining about stragglers! Given the above, I think that the ideas of zoomability of decision-making and information are great, so long as they don't tell the player more than one person at the time would be able to know. The AI should act as all the people over whom the player exerts control and influence (and all the people over who exert control and influence over the player), so it must be robust and believable! The good news is that the amount of detail available to the player under these circumstances is limited, and therefor the programming challenge is a bit less.

(in reply to hal)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Systematic approach Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI