Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unable to advance

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Unable to advance Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unable to advance - 1/25/2008 4:42:39 AM   
aegyptos

Just got the game this afternoon. Playing as CP, 1914. After activating hdqtrs I find that any attempt to make my armies advance results in a message saying that forward moves are "invalid". My trrops will retreat or sidestep but not advance. What am I doing wrong. The enemy, of course, has no problem advancing.
Post #: 1
RE: Unable to advance - 1/25/2008 4:57:29 AM   
SMK-at-work

You need to provide a bit more information than that sorry - a screen shot of the situation would help?

(in reply to aegyptos)
Post #: 2
RE: Unable to advance - 1/25/2008 5:15:26 AM   
aegyptos

Sorry, can't provide a screenshot.  Don't know how.  The situation is this: assume a new game.  You are playing the Central Powers.  First you mobilize and all that stuff then comes the activation phase where hdqtrs are activated.  Next comes the orders phase.  You wish to attack in the same manner as Schleiffenplan.  When I attempt to give my troops orders to advance into Belgium or France the message come that this is an invalid move.  I can barrage with artillery.  I can move units sideways or retreat, just not forward.  Same in East Prussia.  Same in Serbia.  Same in Galicia.  I'm missing something.  Game Manual is useless.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 3
RE: Unable to advance - 1/25/2008 8:25:31 AM   
wargamer123

Alright, first off is your HQ unit on top of or next to your Infantry?

So when you activate it, then hit next, the Corps should be highlighted around it's box in Yellow, if for the Germans it's highlighted in that bluegreen color you are not activating your HQ next to it or on it. HQ's have to be close to the frontlines to give orders

You can retreat, sidestep or anything else you want without HQs but you cannot attack your enemy without them... If you cannot attack and have done this there is something else going on?

(in reply to aegyptos)
Post #: 4
RE: Unable to advance - 1/25/2008 12:02:01 PM   
SMK-at-work

Did yuo declare war in Belgium and Luxemburg?

If not then you can't enter them - Luxemburg is a single hex that is on the French border you might not have noticed?  I've occasionally forgotten to declare war on Luxemburg - it's quite embarassing!!

(in reply to wargamer123)
Post #: 5
RE: Unable to advance - 1/25/2008 2:54:14 PM   
aegyptos

I haven't declared war. Might be the problem. I don't see any mention of that in the manual. How do you do it?

Post #: 6
RE: Unable to advance - 1/25/2008 3:09:32 PM   
wargamer123

the game runs in phazes

You have to play with the buttons to figure it out

Strategic Phaze will have a Diplomacy Option where you can DOW... read that manual :)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aegyptos

I haven't declared war. Might be the problem. I don't see any mention of that in the manual. How do you do it?

(in reply to aegyptos)
Post #: 7
RE: Unable to advance - 1/25/2008 3:30:51 PM   
aegyptos

Still no luck. Don't see any mention of declaring war or means to do so. I'll try it again.

Post #: 8
RE: Unable to advance - 1/25/2008 11:51:34 PM   
Disintegration

Start the game over. (You did save your setup, didn't you? If not, you should save a setup for the TE and a couple for the CP depending on what strategy you want to use. You can use them as templates for further games and just tweak your standard setup rather than having to do it all again.)

During the strategic phase, click the button where you spend diplomatic points - it's next to the research button. Select the neutral on whom you wish to declare war and it should give you the option. I forget the details, play with it.

I don't think that's your only problem, though: the CP (minus the Turks at first) start the game at war with France, Russia, and Serbia, so you should have no problems advancing on the Balkan and Eastern Fronts.

GoA really isn't the sort of game you can just jump into and learn as you go.

To make a screenshot hit the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard, open Paint (or whatever, but I think Paint comes standard on every Windows machine), click in the blank space, and ctrl+v to paste. Then click "save as" and save it as a gif or jpeg. It won't be pretty but it should be legible and not too big.

(in reply to aegyptos)
Post #: 9
RE: Unable to advance - 1/27/2008 12:23:03 AM   
aegyptos

Thanks, disintegration. I've just now found some more time to play with this game. Still can't control my forces. Russians are having a field day and now, still 1914, are about to take Breslau. My troops stand idle. German Navy did move. Declared war on Luxemburg but was not allowed to move troops into it. Move was called "invalid". French Army moved into Lux instead after my people failed to do anything. Austrian do nothing and now the Ottomans do nothing. Very frustrating. Something is missing, besides a decent manual. All this frustration could be avoided with an intelligible and complete instruction manual. Live and learn, I guess.

(in reply to Disintegration)
Post #: 10
RE: Unable to advance - 1/27/2008 6:41:32 AM   
SMK-at-work

This is not normal bahaviour so either there's somethign wrong with your game or you're not doing something properly.  There will be nothing in hte manual to help.

There is an updated manual tho' for registered users at Registered Downloads or My Games and then Private Downloads.

Unfortunately Frank hasn't been on here since Christmas or he would have something to add, but for now I dont' think any of us players can do any more to help.

(in reply to aegyptos)
Post #: 11
RE: Unable to advance - 1/27/2008 2:22:24 PM   
aegyptos

If Matrix offered me a refund or the substitute of a working game I'd certainly accept it. Do they ever read this board?

Post #: 12
RE: Unable to advance - 1/27/2008 4:24:23 PM   
wargamer123

Aegyptos, there is  a tutorial on how to manuever

I think you request a refund, my first game I figured out how to play, my second I won the game... It didn't take more than 50 seconds to learn how to activate and move a unit. BoardGame Wargames even on a PC require at least a minimal level of your time and concentration... No  one is going to do it for you

(in reply to aegyptos)
Post #: 13
RE: Unable to advance - 1/27/2008 5:14:49 PM   
aegyptos

quote:

ORIGINAL: wargamer123
BoardGame Wargames even on a PC require at least a minimal level of your time and concentration... No  one is going to do it for you

I'll try to find that tutorial. I know there is a way to make this thing work because apparently you and some others have managed it.

Post #: 14
RE: Unable to advance - 1/28/2008 8:02:02 PM   
talldwarf

This game is like that old song about camp Granada.  I hate it, I hate it, OH, THAT'S HOW IT WORKS!, I love it, I love it.
Gratefully, the experienced gamers will hold the hand of newbies like me.

(in reply to aegyptos)
Post #: 15
RE: Unable to advance - 1/28/2008 9:27:54 PM   
Franck

I don't think the manual will help you... I believe there is a problem with your game. I never EVER got a msg saying one of my move was invalid. ( but I never played with 1.0 ether. ) Maybe this is from an early version or something is just wrong with your game, how you installed it!

(in reply to talldwarf)
Post #: 16
RE: Unable to advance - 1/31/2008 5:12:44 AM   
aegyptos

Thank you all for your responses. Maybe I just have an unusually thick skull but after further frustrations I've lost pretty much all my initial enthusiam for this and have put it aside. Good luck in your campaigns, gentlemen.

(in reply to Franck)
Post #: 17
RE: Unable to advance - 2/1/2008 2:04:53 AM   
huggybear60

Hi,

I had this problem too but it was a question of correctly pressing the arrow button to get to next phase of turn. In Activation Phase, left click on HQ and a box should appear that says 'HQ Activate', click on it an yellow highlight appears around it. Hit continue arrow again. Only after you do that will you eventually see Orders Phase and then you can left click on units that were activated and get box that asks Individual or Stack movement. Maybe this will help.

(in reply to aegyptos)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Unable to advance Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI