Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What to do about those people who just don't know when its time to go?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> What to do about those people who just don't know when its time to go? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What to do about those people who just don't know when ... - 1/30/2008 11:33:54 PM   
niceguy2005

As the allied advance gains momentum I'm starting to collect a lot of remnants of Jap units that have been pushed out into the wilderness....they're presence annoys me.

Are they something I should really be concerned about? I can bomb them and wait for starvation to take them out, but their presence dictates I have to keep an extra garrison at bases.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
Post #: 1
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/30/2008 11:36:14 PM   
Terminus

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about something else entirely...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 2
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/30/2008 11:39:25 PM   
Sardaukar

Same here ! 

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/30/2008 11:41:33 PM   
niceguy2005

Now I wouldn't post anything like that.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 4
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/30/2008 11:42:44 PM   
bradfordkay

I figured that he was getting ready for this Sunday... "Hey guys, the game has been over for hours! I need to work tomorrow!"

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 5
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 2:54:36 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

As the allied advance gains momentum I'm starting to collect a lot of remnants of Jap units that have been pushed out into the wilderness....they're presence annoys me.

Are they something I should really be concerned about? I can bomb them and wait for starvation to take them out, but their presence dictates I have to keep an extra garrison at bases.

When I play, I don't look at remnants near my bases as a problem - but as an opportunity!! Oh Boy, I have targets for my low EXP units!!! And Allies have plenty of extra units to garrison training bases - eh?

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

Post #: 6
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 3:26:43 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

When I play, I don't look at remnants near my bases as a problem - but as an opportunity!! Oh Boy, I have targets for my low EXP units!!! And Allies have plenty of extra units to garrison training bases - eh?

When i look at em....i tend to think "enjoy the rest of the war boys.....good luck getting out" The game may go overboard at times allowing isolated units to survive so long in starvation mode, but the game does well represent the dabilitating effect of being pushed out into the wilderness...especially if malarial. Even if the enemy manages to evac them it will take a long time for the unit to recover it's full strength again.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 7
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 3:47:13 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

When i look at em....i tend to think "enjoy the rest of the war boys.....good luck getting out" The game may go overboard at times allowing isolated units to survive so long in starvation mode, but the game does well represent the dabilitating effect of being pushed out into the wilderness...especially if malarial. Even if the enemy manages to evac them it will take a long time for the unit to recover it's full strength again.

I trapped a stack of 31 Chinese units in China one time and thought I was set for life in terms of a training target. I redeployed engineers to build up air bases, redeployed lots of Av Spt, and air units ... and within 10 turns the whole stack evaporated. I was devastated!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 8
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 6:13:34 AM   
John 3rd

Poor man...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 9
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 6:23:32 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about something else entirely...

Same here. Annoying In-Laws any one?

On Topic, just remember, that they could move back in if you don't garrison the base and potentially retake it. An undefended or underdefended base would always be in jeopardy of attack from those remnants. This is why I try to surround bases before attacking when practical.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 10
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 6:23:34 AM   
niceguy2005

quote:

quote:

Yes, I worry less about them being rescued as the units are fairly shattered. On the other hand, it could take the larger stacks the entire war to wither on the vine, which means I need infantry at the base...still, I suppose this is fairly realistic.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 11
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 2:29:39 PM   
Terminus

Here are some more people who don't know when it's time to go. I wish this picture was doctored, but it isn't...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 2:39:43 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

Here are some more people who don't know when it's time to go. I wish this picture was doctored, but it isn't...

Actually the unit picture exceeds the number in that unit. I guess that's the display you get when there's one man left, but he's not "completely dead" yet.

I'm feeling better.
No you're not. You Will be stone dead in a moment.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 13
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 5:34:16 PM   
Charbroiled

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

quote:

Actually the unit picture exceeds the number in that unit. I guess that's the display you get when there's one man left, but he's not "completely dead" yet.

I'm feeling better.

What I like is that 1 man uses 600 points to load on an AP.

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 14
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 5:53:40 PM   
Terminus

Well, the Dutch AP's are quite small...

(in reply to Charbroiled)
Post #: 15
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 5:57:48 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

quote:

I trapped a stack of 31 Chinese units in China one time and thought I was set for life in terms of a training target. I redeployed engineers to build up air bases, redeployed lots of Av Spt, and air units ... and within 10 turns the whole stack evaporated. I was devastated!

Wow, what a waste of supply.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 16
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 6:04:52 PM   
Knavey

I just had a Japanese division I had cut off evaporate on me.  Still waiting on my PBEM partner to tell me he doesn't see them, but I am pretty sure they are gone.  Last turn I did a Deliberate attack and got a "Units are surrounded" message.  This turn, nothing there to attack.

Only got 15 VPs added to my points to.  A bit disappointed if the VPs for killing an IJA division is only 15 points.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 17
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 6:07:40 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

I just had a Japanese division I had cut off evaporate on me.  Still waiting on my PBEM partner to tell me he doesn't see them, but I am pretty sure they are gone.  Last turn I did a Deliberate attack and got a "Units are surrounded" message.  This turn, nothing there to attack.

Only got 15 VPs added to my points to.  A bit disappointed if the VPs for killing an IJA division is only 15 points.

I suspect there wasn't much left to the division. They usually last quite a while, so having it disappear quickly means it was in dire straits to begin with.

Try reconning the hex it was in. If you can't, it's dead. If you can, it's still there but you just can't see it.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 18
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 7:53:02 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

Well, the Dutch AP's are quite small...

Maybe it's Faber, what with the Chablis, Fish Vandaloo and what something tells me he doesn't travel very light.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 19
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 7:54:52 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

I just had a Japanese division I had cut off evaporate on me. Still waiting on my PBEM partner to tell me he doesn't see them, but I am pretty sure they are gone. Last turn I did a Deliberate attack and got a "Units are surrounded" message. This turn, nothing there to attack.

Only got 15 VPs added to my points to. A bit disappointed if the VPs for killing an IJA division is only 15 points.

I suspect there wasn't much left to the division. They usually last quite a while, so having it disappear quickly means it was in dire straits to begin with.

Try reconning the hex it was in. If you can't, it's dead. If you can, it's still there but you just can't see it.

No doubt. I had two beat up IJA divisions surrounded and it took 7 UK Divisions a month + to polish them off.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 20
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 1/31/2008 10:55:54 PM   
Dino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

quote:

quote:

I'm feeling better.

That doesn't surprise me considering that "he" is an Immortal.

I have a unit in exactly the same condition (a Dutch base force, too)...my opponent is training his air force on it for MONTHS...and it just won't die!!!

Post #: 21
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 2/1/2008 5:24:53 AM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm feeling better.

That explains why he is lasting so long with no supplies in the jungle... The guy must weigh 5000 pounds.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 22
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 2/1/2008 5:33:54 AM   
Mynok

Sumo wrestler seems the logical conclusion....

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 23
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 2/1/2008 6:45:21 AM   
AdmNelson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Sumo wrestler seems the logical conclusion....

Dutch Sumo wrestler-- that would be an interesting sight.

Very Proud Marine Dad

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 24
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 2/1/2008 1:13:59 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm feeling better.

Post #: 25
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 2/1/2008 2:46:56 PM   
USSAmerica

Hey, hey, hey! 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 26
RE: What to do about those people who just don't know w... - 2/3/2008 6:22:33 PM   
DSwain

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm feeling better.

Must be The Frying Dutchman

Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> What to do about those people who just don't know when its time to go? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI