Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 12/11/2007 12:13:31 AM   
Greg Wilcox

Hi everyone,

The new version of the v1.21 Update is now available as a Public Beta via our Members Club. While we do final testing we figured we'd offer you a change to get it early as well. This is still a beta, but it's stable and solid as far as we can tell. Barring any major issues being found, this version will become the official update.

You can download this as a Registered Download as long as you have registered your Guns of August serial number in our Members Club (click on the MEMBERS link in the top nav bar).

Change list for 1.21
Fixed Overstacking bug
Fixed the supply bug where if a country is short food the supply level of its hexes falls. The bug being the penalty was higher than designed.
Changed the attacker level of supply in contested hexes to 10% from 0%.
Fixed the transfer window not coming to the front in at least one circumstance.
Checked DNs and PDs going on Raider missions. The AI was already prevented from doing this so human players no longer can do it either.
Added 3 new resolutions 1680 by 1050, 1920 by 1080 and 1920 by 1440
Moved Pskov 2 hexes to the north-east.

Greg Wilcox
Production Assistant
Post #: 1
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 12/11/2007 12:32:59 AM   
hjaco

Right. The old strategic movement bug with moving British units across France has reemerged. You get to order them to rail to a certain hex in France or through France to a foreign hex but in the execution phase the move is not being carried out.

(in reply to Greg Wilcox)
Post #: 2
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 12/11/2007 12:37:08 AM   
hjaco

A minor but annoying issue. Italian fortresses are not "visible" in a PBEM game for the CP although they are in a single or hotseat game. They are still in effect and still has to be reduces in order to take the fortress hex.

(in reply to hjaco)
Post #: 3
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 12/11/2007 12:49:28 AM   
FrankHunter

quote:

The old strategic movement bug with moving British units across France has reemerged.

Running a test game to check this I was unable to recreate this behaviour.  Do you have a save where it repeats?

(in reply to hjaco)
Post #: 4
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 12/11/2007 12:58:35 AM   
SMK-at-work

Actually I noticed that the Liege fort wasn't visible in eth 1st move of a game too - I think it was jsut for the TE mactivation/movement phases perhaps because it wasn't fully on the TE side until the end of the phase or something like that?

It was fine for the actual combat of the initial German attack and thereafter.

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 5
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 12/11/2007 1:17:48 AM   
hjaco

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

quote:

The old strategic movement bug with moving British units across France has reemerged.

Running a test game to check this I was unable to recreate this behaviour. Do you have a save where it repeats?

Has been mailed to you

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 6
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 12/11/2007 1:07:48 PM   
hjaco

Perhaps I am mistaken but I thought that Romania should no longer enter the Entente when Russia has surrendered ? It happened through Entente diplomacy though ?

(in reply to hjaco)
Post #: 7
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 12/11/2007 1:41:17 PM   
boogada

quote:

ORIGINAL: hjaco

Perhaps I am mistaken but I thought that Romania should no longer enter the Entente when Russia has surrendered ? It happened through Entente diplomacy though ?

I wondered about this too. But don't worry, the 2 Romanian HQ points are not enough to endanger the CP. Without Russian help Romania is almost helpless. It's fully encircles by CP territories.

(in reply to hjaco)
Post #: 8
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 12/11/2007 3:54:00 PM   
hjaco

quote:

ORIGINAL: boogada

quote:

ORIGINAL: hjaco

I am not worried. Accidentally I had planned to ahem attack Romania so the necessary forces had to go a turn earlier than expected.
I wondered about this too. But don't worry, the 2 Romanian HQ points are not enough to endanger the CP. Without Russian help Romania is almost helpless. It's fully encircles by CP territories.

(in reply to boogada)
Post #: 9
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 12/11/2007 3:55:11 PM   
hjaco

When Russia surrenders you still have to take control of ceded territory which you didn't control prior to the surrender ?

(in reply to hjaco)
Post #: 10
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 12/26/2007 2:23:30 PM   
Graf Leinsdorf

Tried the update in one single full campaign scenario, playing as human CP against Entente AI. Albeit after a single game (as explained in another thread by Frank Hunter) potentialities of AI learning curve could not be fully displayed, I've remarked a substantial improvement in its ability to pose a serious challenge to human player.
Apart from the caveat above, two issues, important according to my point of view, seem to remain unresolved:
- Ottoman Empire is still not challenged at all by AI, neither in the Caucasus, nor in Middle East or Mesopotamia: thus it can funcion as sheer purveyor of raw materials and industrial points to other CP; such passivity of Britain in the Middle East is quite unhistorical besides being a bit baffling from the point of view of gaming "chrome";
- Russia is still extremely slow in exploiting any strategy by Germany and Austria to concentrare all their efforts on Western and Balkan fronts respectively and thus to leave only a tiny veil of troops in Poland and Galicia.
I wonder whether an improvement on these two areas could be achieved. After that last effort the game would have reached if not perfection, at least a high degree of accomplishment and be satisfactory for gamers anxious of confronting a tough as well as reasonably historical AI.

Post #: 11
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 1/14/2008 11:38:18 AM   
petersolo

When will the official Version 1.21 be ready? I have tried the beta version and am not sure if it was working OK.

(in reply to Graf Leinsdorf)
Post #: 12
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 1/24/2008 11:17:27 AM   
boogada

Is this the latest version? I had to buy a new pc and reinstall everything. I don't remember if this was the latest version, I did so many updates....

(in reply to petersolo)
Post #: 13
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 1/24/2008 12:53:36 PM   
wargamer123

Boog, it's the latest the beta version gotta be on the members download site to get it next to the new manuals

(in reply to boogada)
Post #: 14
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 1/24/2008 1:43:00 PM   
boogada

yeah I got that one. So I can resume our game. 

(in reply to wargamer123)
Post #: 15
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 1/26/2008 12:41:52 AM   
BootyJoe

"Moved Pskov 2 hexes to the north-east"

Yes but the city-symbol is still situated where Pskov used to be before the 1.21 beta...

(in reply to boogada)
Post #: 16
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 1/28/2008 5:47:52 AM   
wurger54

Appreciate the continued fine tuning and support of the game. 

Post #: 17
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 1/28/2008 8:33:57 AM   
BootyJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: wurger54

True - it strikes me that my two postings on the GOA forum are complaints I would therefore like to - in my third posting - stress the fact that this game is great - accessible yet full of deep strategic concerns that creates a true WW1 atmosphere. I have been using all my game time on this one since I got it and I am going to recommend it to my wargaming mates and get some PBEM games up and running. Hey if I didn't care I would not complaint right?

(in reply to wurger54)
Post #: 18
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 1/30/2008 11:41:08 PM   
BootyJoe

I can now confirm that there is a strategic movement bug in 1.21 beta. After downgrading to 1.20 I was indeed able to SR without problems. Hopefully this bug will be eliminated in the official 1.21 patch - speaking of the official patch - when is it due?

(in reply to BootyJoe)
Post #: 19
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 2/5/2008 3:18:46 AM   
Erik Rutins

A 1.22 beta should be released later this week, which is a candidate to become the official patch.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to BootyJoe)
Post #: 20
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 2/5/2008 5:58:17 AM   
SMK-at-work

wahooo!!!!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 21
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 2/5/2008 9:52:58 PM   
Lascar

quote:

ORIGINAL: BootyJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: wurger54

True - it strikes me that my two postings on the GOA forum are complaints I would therefore like to - in my third posting - stress the fact that this game is great - accessible yet full of deep strategic concerns that creates a true WW1 atmosphere. I have been using all my game time on this one since I got it and I am going to recommend it to my wargaming mates and get some PBEM games up and running. Hey if I didn't care I would not complaint right?

Same for me. I have been playing several PBEM games and in spite of some annoying bugs that affect your strategic planning it is still great fun and a challenge to play. I think that attests to the soundness of the basic design that many are willing to playing it over and over again in spite of the bugs.

(in reply to BootyJoe)
Post #: 22
RE: Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded - 2/5/2008 10:00:55 PM   
Strike1905

Hear, hear!!!!!

As an old school gamer, (Avalon Hill, SPI), I've had my experience.
GOA is as good as it gets.
And the manual weakness is easily corrected by the k*&^-a#@ community and postings.
Looking forward to being a devotee, and, once I get this addiction down to acceptable levels, picking up other Matrix titles, (ooohhh, that Korsun Pocket, and Drive to the Dnepr are just calling me out!).
Good job to all.

The Strike

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Guns of August 1.21 Public Beta 2 Uploaded Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI