Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Organizing Your Forces

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Organizing Your Forces Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Organizing Your Forces - 3/2/2008 5:35:39 AM   
Pioneerdbq

Hello everyone. I recently installed the game and have been enjoying it. However, I do have a few questions that I was hoping to have answered regarding the organization of my forces. I understand the concept of divisions, corps, and armies as containers. There are still a few issues that I haven't figured out yet, though. Most importantly how do I reassign units in the same province from one container to another? Can I also do this with units that aren't in the same province? For instance, let's say that I want to make Joseph Johnston in the Shenandoah province a corps in the Dept. of N. Virginia. Can I assign a division level unit as a division in this army? Will this organization affect how anything moves or reacts? Essentially, my main concern is consolidating my forces so I know what troops are where and I can order them around the map efficiently.

My second area of concern is in regards to leadership and generals. I understand that you can't assign generals to a specific unit. However, can you appoint an overall army commander or corps commanders? Will the general with the highest number of stars just automatically take control? Does the number of stars influence the way that generals act in battle?

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate your help and I'm looking forward to playing with you in the future.

Sincerely,

Pioneerdbq
Post #: 1
RE: Organizing Your Forces - 3/2/2008 8:26:38 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pioneerdbq

Hello everyone. I recently installed the game and have been enjoying it. However, I do have a few questions that I was hoping to have answered regarding the organization of my forces. I understand the concept of divisions, corps, and armies as containers. There are still a few issues that I haven't figured out yet, though. Most importantly how do I reassign units in the same province from one container to another? Can I also do this with units that aren't in the same province? For instance, let's say that I want to make Joseph Johnston in the Shenandoah province a corps in the Dept. of N. Virginia. Can I assign a division level unit as a division in this army? Will this organization affect how anything moves or reacts? Essentially, my main concern is consolidating my forces so I know what troops are where and I can order them around the map efficiently.

If you right-click on the province that should open up everything at once, so that you can click a unit in one "container" and then transfer it to another (if space is available).

If a unit/general/container is in one province and you want to assign him/it to another you first must move him/it and then stick him/it in the destination container. Keep in mind that this is not guaranteed to happen: sometimes units or forces fail to move, because of weather or some other problem. So if it's important to reorganize and/or supplement your forces in a major way before attacking, take a turn to make sure that your army is the way you want it to be and then attack. (Remember, during the war it often would take more than than two weeks for a major reorganization, so this is a realistic aspect of the game.)

My second area of concern is in regards to leadership and generals. I understand that you can't assign generals to a specific unit. However, can you appoint an overall army commander or corps commanders? Will the general with the highest number of stars just automatically take control? Does the number of stars influence the way that generals act in battle?

This is all in the manual, so in short: an army or corps container can only be commanded by a general with 4+ or 3+ stars (respectively), and the general MUST be inside that container but not any other. In other words, put a 4-star general inside a division and he's commanding that division, not the whole army. If two generals with different numbers of stars who are both eligible to command a container are in a container then the higher-ranking one will be in command. So stick a 4-star and 3-star in a corps, and the 4-star is in command, with the 3-star just giving some bonuses in combat.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate your help and I'm looking forward to playing with you in the future.

Sincerely,

Pioneerdbq

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to Pioneerdbq)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Organizing Your Forces Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI