Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The most surprising actions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> The most surprising actions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The most surprising actions - 3/25/2008 8:59:56 PM   
boogada

What where the most surprising actions you have seen in an GOA game?

- In a current game the CP completly wrecked the ET navies and got control of the entire seas. It ended with the CP not only conquering Athens by sea, but also India?!

- Once I had an initial Russian offensive that pushed beyond the Carpathian mountains, but the Russians where pushed back later on. But there were still some hexes under Russian control. Later I somehow opened a connection to those hexes, strat moved a HQ and some troops into that and conquered Vienna, that made AH collapse later on.

Both were historically very unlikely though.
Post #: 1
RE: The most surprising actions - 3/27/2008 5:52:25 AM   
wargamer123

1. Dominating the Atlantic is one of my strangest Games, too. CP Navy really didn't do all that it could because of my desire to keep the game historical. I could've easily invaded a lot more Foreign Locations and the AH-Turk Navy scored a lot of hits to allow this... It would not have been historical if I would've started Amphibing all the locations I could've

Ultimately though in this game Jutland...being a 110% success, may have turned out remotely like our game... Though Ultimately Allied Naval Supremacy was had... 1 way or another, so historical maybe not, but remotely historical-yes...

2. Weirdest game... I did a Schlieffen, emptied out 50% of French Material resources on the map. I conquored so deeply and so quickly I couldn't keep up any further, but I failed to take Paris... I also conquored everywhere else on the map, 2 years later the Allies launch a SUPER high tech assualt and wipe me out when I was expecting a stalemate... I had killed a million or more ET troops than mine and I had taken ALL my objectives but one should never underestimate the resources of the ET, Assualt 2-Poison Gas 3-etc... and US Troops, make the best CP trenches melt like butter... This showed me and what few players grasp, there is no defense from the material power of the ET if the CP isn't played well and if the ET knows what they're doing. You cannot just sit back in your trenches eventually the game will go mobile again, you just have to know how to do it and when!

(in reply to boogada)
Post #: 2
RE: The most surprising actions - 3/28/2008 4:04:01 AM   
jomni

Nice anecdotes.
This seems to prove the point that the game is indeed replayable despite the limited scope (Alliances, Countries, Timeframe).

< Message edited by jomni -- 3/28/2008 5:55:05 AM >

(in reply to wargamer123)
Post #: 3
RE: The most surprising actions - 3/29/2008 2:20:37 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: wargamer123
This showed me and what few players grasp, there is no defense from the material power of the ET if the CP isn't played well and if the ET knows what they're doing. You cannot just sit back in your trenches eventually the game will go mobile again, you just have to know how to do it and when!

True enough, but the TE requires patience to play, not to mention nerves of steel. I think you should generally assume with the TE that the Great Counterattack begins in 1916, maybe even 1917, and plan accordingly, with only local counterattacks before then.

Attacking the Ottoman Empire or Austria is an exception to this.

(in reply to wargamer123)
Post #: 4
RE: The most surprising actions - 3/31/2008 6:34:30 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

True enough, but the TE requires patience to play, not to mention nerves of steel. I think you should generally assume with the TE that the Great Counterattack begins in 1916, maybe even 1917, and plan accordingly, with only local counterattacks before then.

Attacking the Ottoman Empire or Austria is an exception to this.

I was lucky when I played TE. My great counter attack was launched in 1915 and Germany surrendered mid 1916 when the frontline is just about two hexes from Berlin. That's because the AI shifted too many troops in the Eastern front. In fact, Russia played the static war where I built the trenches. Talk about role reversal.

One weird thing though. In when advancing my western front, I noticed that I cannot call Air Recon any more. I then found out that I must assign them to the Eastern Front. I always got the impression that the Eastern theater is the area East of Berlin but apparently it's not.

< Message edited by jomni -- 3/31/2008 7:31:10 AM >

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 5
RE: The most surprising actions - 4/4/2008 2:56:16 AM   
Franck

In one of my PBEM I tryed something really special... I declared (as CP) on Italy/luxembourg and belgium. I deployed all of my german army except the B corps and CAV to go strait for Paris. I deployed most of the Austrian army against Italy.

Italy was out of the war after the second turn. France survived 4 more turns. That game isn't finished yet. My counter offensive just started against Russia (who was 2 hexes from Berlin at some point... And the offensive against the Serb just restarted too)

That's about it. Other games have been pretty standart. A move people don't often expect when I go for Russia first is an amphib invasion in Russia first turn. If you attack Riga and ship cav there, you'll get to the food hexe pretty quickly.

(in reply to boogada)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> The most surprising actions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI